Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rivera Primo 1 Piece SEALED Inner Primary Bearing for 2008 + This could be big news!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up Rivera Primo 1 Piece SEALED Inner Primary Bearing for 2008 + This could be big news!!

Ladies and Gents... May I introduce the
Rivera Primo 1018-0028 Inner Primary Bearing

• The OEM race is removed from the transmission main shaft allowing the primary to be installed over the transmission main shaft (the replacement bearing is a slip-fit on the main shaft)

I ran across this bearing on J&P and also found it on Cycleplicity. It is a 1 piece sealed inner primary bearing. In fact... I just ordered it from Cyleplicity (slightly less expensive and no tax). I do have a new retaining ring and rubber seal on order.

Many of you know Baker and Jim's have a sealed 1 piece bearing for 1985-2007 and well... never put a bearing out for the slightly smaller OD of 2008 main shafts.

SO... in my book... this is good good good news. Now... we don't have to rely on primary fluid splash to lubricate this bearing! Woot Woot!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
Ladies and Gents... May I introduce the
Rivera Primo 1018-0028 Inner Primary Bearing

• The OEM race is removed from the transmission main shaft allowing the primary to be installed over the transmission main shaft (the replacement bearing is a slip-fit on the main shaft)

I ran across this bearing on J&P and also found it on Cycleplicity. It is a 1 piece sealed inner primary bearing. In fact... I just ordered it from Cyleplicity (slightly less expensive and no tax). I do have a new retaining ring and rubber seal on order.

Many of you know Baker and Jim's have a sealed 1 piece bearing for 1985-2007 and well... never put a bearing out for the slightly smaller OD of 2008 main shafts.

SO... in my book... this is good good good news. Now... we don't have to rely on primary fluid splash to lubricate this bearing! Woot Woot!
==============================================

Thanks for posting this which is good news as long as this sealed/self contained/self lubing bearing is up to the task at hand.

Maybe you can be our beta tester!/LOL!!!

While your at it how about finishing the job by also posting the links to the 2 sources this bearing is avail from too?

thanks...scott

scott

Old 09-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wscott
==============================================

Thanks for posting this which is good news as long as this sealed/self contained/self lubing bearing is up to the task at hand.

Maybe you can be our beta tester!/LOL!!!

While your at it how about finishing the job by also posting the links to the 2 sources this bearing is avail from too?

thanks...scott

scott
No problem brother. I damn sure hope it is up to the task because... I just may be opening the primary back up should it fail. And yes, I certainly will keep everyone posted.

When I found this solution... All I thought was... I don't have to drop (basically) $100 on a race puller/installer, don't have to rely on the tiny inlet area to receive enough splash to lubricate the bearing, the race can never walk (pressed into the primary and locked with the retaining ring)... how the foxtrot can this not be hella big news!

Anyways...

here are the links.

http://cycleplicity.com/products/420...y-bearing.aspx

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/711-926

Old 09-11-2015, 06:22 PM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The discription of that bearing is for a dry clutch there is no seal for the race on mainshaft like baker kit for early models.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

hmmm... Wouldn't the fact that it is a sealed bearing (on both sides of course) prevent any primary fluid from escaping out the back?

I do see your point that the OEM seal that slips on past the retaining ring (trans side) has an ID to accommodate the race... But in essence... It doesn't spin anyways.

The outer diameter of the 08 main shaft larger but not by much/ it is is so so so close to slightly thinner OD of the 09+ shafts... So maybe a seal from baker would be extra "insurance?"

Exploring the possibilities here!!!!!

Last edited by Eunoterpsia; 09-11-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:38 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

You could probably use the factory seal behind it.
Interesting.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:05 PM
highmarket
Cruiser

Couple other issues, the width of that bearing may not be as wide as the Oem race, you may need a shim behind clutch basket for proper chain alignment, also I don't no about the early clutch but the later model uses the Oem race to tighten clutch basket againest due to pressed fit on mainshaft, my thought is you would side load the bearing because that new bearing slides on mainshaft.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

Originally Posted by highmarket
Couple other issues, the width of that bearing may not be as wide as the Oem race, you may need a shim behind clutch basket for proper chain alignment, also I don't no about the early clutch but the later model uses the Oem race to tighten clutch basket againest due to pressed fit on mainshaft, my thought is you would side load the bearing because that new bearing slides on mainshaft.
The width of the bearing is NOT as wide as the OEM race. This sealed primary bearing would be pressed into the inner primary and secured in its place with the retaining ring followed by the gasket.

The race is equal distance from the pulley (out the trans) and the where the splines start on the mainshaft. With the inner primary installed, the race does not extend into the well of the inner primary (clutch basket side).

My thoughts are that baker and jims have produced a sealed inner primary bearing (1 piece) unit for their drive systems 1985-2007 and well... I haven't read anything about side loading their IPBs.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:09 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Thought clutch hub bottoms out on the end of the splines on the main shaft and does not rely on the IPB race for spacing? I forget.

Last edited by lp; 09-12-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:00 PM
highmarket
Cruiser

I checked part#'s on 2007 vrs 2008up inner primary bearing/race.
The 2007 uses same bearing but differant race. If you could find out the differances in the mainshaft size like you said the baker seal would probibly work. As far as side load if you have your inner prim off slide the clutch on and see where it buttoms out. If it does bottom out on the race I'm surprised the one piece bearing will take 75-80 ft/pound force of the clutch nut. sure would be nice if it will work out. Sign me up.

Quick Reply: Rivera Primo 1 Piece SEALED Inner Primary Bearing for 2008 + This could be big news!!