Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help from the gearheads. Possible Main trans bearing failure?

Old 09-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Need Help from the gearheads. Possible Main trans bearing failure?

I have the primary off the bike.

With the trans in neutral.

I can hold the mainshaft still and rotate the pulley.

When I do this... (mainshaft remains immobile) the pulley has a not smooth, somewhat notcy and slightly audible grind/thuds (akin to a bearing failure) when I rotate just the pulley.

Based on these two photos... which bearing is it. I'm guessing on the "Transmissions Bearings and Covers" photo... it's item 8?

My other guess is on the "transmission gears" photo... it would be item 4... but... something tells me that is for the mainshaft and not the inner gear supporting or driving the "pulley."

Old 09-12-2015, 06:17 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

#8 would be the one. You need to take the whole transmission apart to replace it so you might as well replace all of them while your there including the trap door bearings.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:32 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

Thanks for the confirmation... the assurance makes me feel better.

I got the sprocket nut off and the sprocket. Finally.

Here is the pickle. I can't afford to replace all the bearings when I pull the gearset out of the house. So... unfortunately... I will only replace the main bearing.

purchasing the bike (paid for thank goodness) and all the related FARKLE isn't anything compared to the cost to repair this whip.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:35 PM
pdzani
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar sound on my 09 ultra, when I pulled the trans it was pair of bearings #4 in your second pic. I replaced all the bearings when I had it out including your number 8 in the first pic. I used the Harley manual and some tools I purchased from George's Garage.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

If you do not have the correct tools for removing and installing that #8 bearing, you are going to have a real mess. The tools aren't real cheap but since you have it down this far you will need the tools. Like the poster above stated, go to Georges Garage for them. I bought the entire tool set for the 6-speed about 4 years ago and it was about $900 for everything back then.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:36 AM
pdzani
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bad bearings also damaged my main shaft number 23 in second pic, they were on constant back order from Harley, wonder why? I found a dealer in Nebraska that had one in stock and they shipped it to me. You can also buy a tranny bearing rebuild kit on line, you will drive yourself crazy trying to get all the other parts from Harley.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:41 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

i wouldn't put it back together without replacing every bearing in it including the inner primary bearing, along with every seal. hang on until you save some money up or you'll just be one step forward and two back.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

UPDATE... Getting the sprocket nut off (w/o an air gun) was a pain in the backside. but I got it out in maybe 45 mins. the sprocket is off and I did get the gear that is pressed into the rear of the transmission out and I knew I had to cease operations once mama opened the door and cut me those eyes... family time ensued and well... I'll get a good jump on it this morning.

Sad part it, when I ordered my parts (which have yet to come in from boardtracker) I didn't order parts for this job (main trans bearing).

One question I do have for folks who have been there and done that... Back when I was turning the sprocket (primary side) while holding the mainshaft (trans in neutral)... I decided to click it into 1st and then held the sprocket and could rotate the mainshaft side to side and there was "play" (may not be the right word) or rotational movement of the mainshaft before it "caught" the gear. I thought the mainshaft would be tighter than that or have lease "lag" or "slack."

Old 09-13-2015, 07:53 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i wouldn't put it back together without replacing every bearing in it including the inner primary bearing, along with every seal. hang on until you save some money up or you'll just be one step forward and two back.
Oh, the IPB is a definite. I know it is a 2009 but I'm gonna try using that rivera primo sealed one piece... ie. no race pressed onto the mainshaft. Here is the post I created to discuss this... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-big-news.html

concerning replacing every bearing in it... I know, I know... I feel the same way... but I can not afford to do that. I'm not afraid to take it back down... or heck, I even thought about replacing the entire gearset with one's ive seen on ebay.

Last edited by Eunoterpsia; 09-13-2015 at 07:57 AM. Reason: to add a post/link the the rivera primo sealed bearing
Old 09-13-2015, 08:14 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Rumor has it in the HD technical community that transmission bearing failures are attributed to too much lubricant. The TSB below explains that we should be mindful of not adding too much oil during fluid changes. I'm not saying this is what caused your bearing failure, it just reminded me of this TSB. Funny the Rushmore models all say to add 28 oz instead of the prior 32 oz. Nothing in the 6 speed transmission changed.

Compare how you insert the dip stick in your transmission "service manual compared to this TSB" it makes a difference.

Hope you get your bike up and running with minimal costs or trouble.

Attached Thumbnails Need Help from the gearheads.  Possible Main trans bearing failure?-image.jpg  

Last edited by CSMHOG; 09-13-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help from the gearheads. Possible Main trans bearing failure?