Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading your high-mileage bike...? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Trading your high-mileage bike...? (long)

Hello all -

I've got a 2007 Road Glide with 63,000 miles. I've owned it since 7,500 (bought in August 2011). The first owner didn't ride much, but I like go out riding, as the mileage indicates.

Although right now, the bike's been "parked" for a couple of weeks. Read on...

This was the first year for the TC96 with the hydraulic cam tensioners and the 6-speed transmission.

It's got an engine that's "almost stock", has a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner and a PowerCommander IIIusb tuner. But other than that, the engine has "never been opened" or modified.
The engine's never needed any work at all, other than fluid changes. Still runs fine.

In fact, the only thing on the bike that's needed replacement were the floorboard inserts and the rear brake light switch, and a few other "small rubber" items that wore, like the rear muffler bracket rubber insert. Up to now, this has been the best Harley I ever owned.

Condition-wise, I'd rate it as "excellent" or perhaps "excellent-minus". Paint is good, chrome is good, aluminum is good. I'll reckon anyone in this forum would be hard-pressed to find a bike that looks and runs as good considering the mileage.

But now I'm thinking of something newer. Not "new" (I don't think), but "late model".

I should also add that I'm gettin' on in years at 66 this year. Not as old as some here, but the "riding days ahead" may be limited, possibly for health reasons. That's why I'd just as soon pick up a late-model used in stock condition, rather than spend too much on a new one.

I rode my last Road Glide 136,000 miles before I traded it (along with an FXRS with 99,000 on it) for the one I have now.

I suppose I could keep going with my current one, but at some point the bike's value will be "all used up" and it won't be saleable much at all.

NADA shows my bike at 8,926-11,761 -- "low retail to "average retail".
(I see with NADA estimates, no "dealer wholesale" price is shown)
I realize the higher mileage will impact the price, of course!

I've only had one trade value offer (from an independent dealer who happens to have a bike I'd like), based on good-res pics I sent with a description. The offer was $6,000 -- which I thought was on the low side.

I was thinking $7,000-7,500, at least.
But my experience in trading is limited, and my estimate could be overly optimistic.

Anyone else here been in a similar situation?
Trading in a well-maintained, essentially stock, but high-mileage bike?

Right now I've got it on craigslist as a private sale, but no nibblers.

So, I've got three choices:
1. Try to sell privately (can be a hassle, and involve a wait)
2. Trade it in for whatever I can get (which probably ain't gonna be very much)
3. Just keep riding (until the ol' bike -- and ME -- are both worn out).

????

(The reason it's parked right now is because I don't want any more miles on it, 'til I figure out what to do!)

Old 09-26-2015, 01:25 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

1 or 3

for your 2007, kbb says 9200 trade in, 12600 retail for my zip. that says a fair value around 10500/11000

I sold my '95 at 82K, it took some time to find a buyer- maybe 6 weeks.
I had 23 dozen low ball offers - and then a call from guy who was looking for exactly what i had.
It's been 5 years now and he is still riding and happy with his purchase...he just doesn;t ride alot of distance...day trips and in town- not touring.
We hit our own fair price which was almost 1/2 what I paid for my 09.
AZ doesn;t have sales tax on private party vehicle sales- so thats an extra 10% the buyer saves.

on my part this required patience and the financial ability to not care if I sold it tomorrow- I could wait. And space for the bike.
I used the extra time to swap over little parts from old bike to new bike- I would guess I saved about $800 there...just little things I had added and could use again on the new bike- and my favorite supertrapps...the stock mufflers went back on for the new owner

craigslist worked for me- it the ad I made plain that meet up would only be at local bank which has cameras...nobody coming to the house. that filters out scumbags

2: dealers don't much care to have a 9 year old well used bike in the floor- oh they'll take it if you give it away

and 3:
I still have my 88 FXR, I love it. It is worth more to me than on the market. it has over 80K. and I have the space.

4. at this point with your hundreds of thousands of riding miles- consider a new bike..nice fresh warranty, enjoy the new doodads they come with.
live a little if you can swing it.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-26-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:52 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sell private party. As stated above dealers don't want a 9 yr old hi milage bike. If they do take it on a trade chances are it will be wholesaled to an auction.

Bwana

Old 09-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I am an advocate of keeping what you got if you like it. Honestly it is worth more to you than anyone... My bike has 68k on it, but has a reman motor in it, and I have done all of the things that wear , put on Ohlins shocks, and just did cams tensioners,and oil pump. I see no reason to sell/trade, because to me the bike is still worth way more than anything I could get out of it. I will keep rebuilding this bike until I can't anymore.(payments suck) and so does laying out 28k+.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:10 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I traded in my 09 Road King (in 2012) with 62k miles got a little over 10k for the trade and the dealer then listed it for 12k. It wasn't worth it for me to get a few dollars more, I don't think the dealer made to much off of me, I'd bet they didn't sell it at the asking price. Low mileage bikes are easy to find at a fair price, high mileage bikes turn me off unless it's a smoking deal.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:50 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

trade in my 07 50,000 for a new limited, paid retail for new bike got the "discount" on the trade gave me 11,500.looked at a used low milage 14 for that bike my trade value went down to9,000.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Lucky Doug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I have seen there are two schools of thought. The high rollers say throw a wad of cash at the dealer for a shiny new thing. The economy minded know that a high mileage Harley isn't worth much more than scrap.

If you want a shiny new toy or if something is wrong with the bike, trade.
If you want to keep some of the money you worked hard for, keep it and spend a little extra on the ol lady or take an extra trip.

Me? If I loved it I would ride it til the wheels fell off. Maybe do some performance upgrades.

Last edited by Lucky Doug; 09-26-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:33 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishrrman
Hello all -

I've got a 2007 Road Glide with 63,000 miles. I've owned it since 7,500 (bought in August 2011). The first owner didn't ride much, but I like go out riding, as the mileage indicates.

Although right now, the bike's been "parked" for a couple of weeks. Read on...

This was the first year for the TC96 with the hydraulic cam tensioners and the 6-speed transmission.

It's got an engine that's "almost stock", has a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner and a PowerCommander IIIusb tuner. But other than that, the engine has "never been opened" or modified.
The engine's never needed any work at all, other than fluid changes. Still runs fine.

In fact, the only thing on the bike that's needed replacement were the floorboard inserts and the rear brake light switch, and a few other "small rubber" items that wore, like the rear muffler bracket rubber insert. Up to now, this has been the best Harley I ever owned.

Condition-wise, I'd rate it as "excellent" or perhaps "excellent-minus". Paint is good, chrome is good, aluminum is good. I'll reckon anyone in this forum would be hard-pressed to find a bike that looks and runs as good considering the mileage.

But now I'm thinking of something newer. Not "new" (I don't think), but "late model".

I should also add that I'm gettin' on in years at 66 this year. Not as old as some here, but the "riding days ahead" may be limited, possibly for health reasons. That's why I'd just as soon pick up a late-model used in stock condition, rather than spend too much on a new one.

I rode my last Road Glide 136,000 miles before I traded it (along with an FXRS with 99,000 on it) for the one I have now.

I suppose I could keep going with my current one, but at some point the bike's value will be "all used up" and it won't be saleable much at all.

NADA shows my bike at 8,926-11,761 -- "low retail to "average retail".
(I see with NADA estimates, no "dealer wholesale" price is shown)
I realize the higher mileage will impact the price, of course!

I've only had one trade value offer (from an independent dealer who happens to have a bike I'd like), based on good-res pics I sent with a description. The offer was $6,000 -- which I thought was on the low side.

I was thinking $7,000-7,500, at least.
But my experience in trading is limited, and my estimate could be overly optimistic.

Anyone else here been in a similar situation?
Trading in a well-maintained, essentially stock, but high-mileage bike?

Right now I've got it on craigslist as a private sale, but no nibblers.

So, I've got three choices:
1. Try to sell privately (can be a hassle, and involve a wait)
2. Trade it in for whatever I can get (which probably ain't gonna be very much)
3. Just keep riding (until the ol' bike -- and ME -- are both worn out).

????

(The reason it's parked right now is because I don't want any more miles on it, 'til I figure out what to do!)
I'm kinda scratching my head here. If you are thinking 63k is a bunch but you don't want a new one, but want something newer but may not be riding much longer and worried about trade in value? If your bike is as nice as you claim (and I'm not doubting you) then why don't you fire that puppy up and ride it as long as you can and forget about the mileage/ trade-in value? Or put it in your driveway with a for sale sign while not riding it?I've got 119 on an 02 and it is way nice still, and I'm older than you are. A dealer gives you basic book no matter how nice your bike is, most of the time, and right now it isn't the best market so getting more for your bike probably isn't going to happen anyway. My two cents

Old 09-26-2015, 07:47 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Sell it privately trust me around here you would get good money for it.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill03E
I am an advocate of keeping what you got if you like it. Honestly it is worth more to you than anyone... My bike has 68k on it, but has a reman motor in it, and I have done all of the things that wear , put on Ohlins shocks, and just did cams tensioners,and oil pump. I see no reason to sell/trade, because to me the bike is still worth way more than anything I could get out of it. I will keep rebuilding this bike until I can't anymore.(payments suck) and so does laying out 28k+.
We think a lot alike. I keep a list of pros and cons for selling my 05 and buying a new bike. All I need to do is look at that list and I realize I would have to put a bare minimum of $3K in a new bike so I could be close to as happy with it as I am my current bike, and it still wouldn't be able to keep up.

Rick

Quick Reply: Trading your high-mileage bike...? (long)