Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Wobble/wave (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1073466-wobble-wave.html)

rhuff 09-26-2015 03:35 PM

Wobble/wave

03 rkc. 100,000 miles. At about 80,000 I did ohlins rear shocks. Love them. Still lots of wobble in front, but better. So, added progressive tour link at 85,000. Made a huge diff in high speed curves, but still had the wobble. Just improved. But now, this year, bike seems back to its old ways. I had engine rebuild at 85,000 K as well and new front motor mount and progressive springs in front.
Just FYI... I also have updated 09 oil pan. Not sure if this changes any possible mods that may be out there???

What should my next step(s) be?

mainboom150 09-26-2015 04:47 PM

buy a new bike... i don't know why i said that. first thing that came to mind i guess. i do believe this is something your just gonna have to deal with unless you upgrade to a 09 or newer bike. go on its only money. you can even keep your current bike. what wife say you cant have one? sissy listening to your wife. a real man would just buy a new bike. so what if you cant pay your rent or mortgage. you got a new bike. you have to eat ? ppfffttt that's bs there are homeless shelters that will feed you. all that matter is that you have a new bike. that's how id fix your problem if i was you. cant wait to see pics of your new bike. unless of course your to scared of the wife or not eating or having somewhere to live. in that case turn in your man card at the door when you leave and don't come back. (this was sarcasm some people dont know what that is)

Guntoter 09-26-2015 05:56 PM

Has the steering head bearings ever been adjusted? Sounds like they need tightened up. That should calm it back down.

rhuff 09-26-2015 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by mainboom150 (Post 14430789)
buy a new bike... i don't know why i said that. first thing that came to mind i guess. i do believe this is something your just gonna have to deal with unless you upgrade to a 09 or newer bike. go on its only money. you can even keep your current bike. what wife say you cant have one? sissy listening to your wife. a real man would just buy a new bike. so what if you cant pay your rent or mortgage. you got a new bike. you have to eat ? ppfffttt that's bs there are homeless shelters that will feed you. all that matter is that you have a new bike. that's how id fix your problem if i was you. cant wait to see pics of your new bike. unless of course your to scared of the wife or not eating or having somewhere to live. in that case turn in your man card at the door when you leave and don't come back. (this was sarcasm some people dont know what that is)

I wasn't quite sure if you were drunk or high. Or both. Seriously. And I'm well versed in sarcasm ;)

I actually did buy a new bike this year to boot lol

checkers 09-26-2015 07:28 PM

Use the search function. There are several major threads on this. Several with a checklist you can run down.

bigskyroadglide 09-26-2015 08:12 PM

For 08 and older bikes, check the cleve bushings in the swingarm. They are made out of aluminum and i have seen them wear out in as little as 12 k miles.

Drop the swingarm, replace the cleve bushings with bearings from (sta bo ) and you will notice a world of difference

I did this to my 04 bike and it now handles like its on rails
A brace like tru track just masks these worn bushings

rhuff 09-27-2015 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by checkers (Post 14431127)
Use the search function. There are several major threads on this. Several with a checklist you can run down.

This is always my favorite post.....

I did. And actually have them bookmarked from past searches. I felt like starting a new thread, so I did :)

touchdown 09-27-2015 08:57 AM

Steering head adjustment, Maybe after 100000 miles or so new bearings in both steering and wheel too. This all comes to mind, I am sure you have checked the front tire for bad wear.

checkers 09-28-2015 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by rhuff (Post 14432148)
This is always my favorite post.....

I did. And actually have them bookmarked from past searches. I felt like starting a new thread, so I did :)

What is the best oil?

xcbullet 09-28-2015 07:48 PM

First time today had mine over a hundred a it went into a scary wobble, most the time it's just fine. Have everything up to par. Sure it was the blocks past there limit, even though they look like new. Just had to hit the c-note once, 80 really all I do most the time. Link to those bearings would be nice. The only other thing I've seen is upgrade to newer swing arm with the link upgrade.