Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Brake light stuck on (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1078732-brake-light-stuck-on.html)

Mikeinaz 10-29-2015 08:48 PM

Brake light stuck on

Hope someone can help me. I got the code for my rear break switch not working and noticed my brake light was stuck on. I figured no big deal and replaced rear switch, the light was still on so I replaced the front switch. Breaks still on. I checked both switches with volt meter and both are working.
Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the break light to stay on?

PRrdglide 10-29-2015 08:54 PM

I had the same problem with my 07 road glide. Make sure front brake leaver is engaging switch. If there is any play reblead front brakes

twistedcherokee 10-29-2015 09:09 PM

I had that problem & it was in the front lever. I also had a time that the rear tire had rubbed the wiring harness that is in the rear fender & it shorted it to a power wire & stayed on.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e/100_1121.jpg
Hope this helps.

Toby

jaxdwg 10-29-2015 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mikeinaz (Post 14528445)
Hope someone can help me. I got the code for my rear break switch not working and noticed my brake light was stuck on. I figured no big deal and replaced rear switch, the light was still on so I replaced the front switch. Breaks still on. I checked both switches with volt meter and both are working.
Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the break light to stay on?

Pull the bulb and check for corrosion and or if the contacts of the bulb are all smashed -- replace bulb

Mikeinaz 10-29-2015 09:18 PM

OK I'll try that out thanks

QC 10-29-2015 09:21 PM

If you changed your levers, that could be a problem. Also, the front master cylinder plunger may not be returning all the way out to push the lever far enough to close the switch. Squirt a little lube on the plunger and work it in to see if that helps.

Mikeinaz 10-29-2015 09:57 PM

OK rechecked both switches, they're good. Checked bulb, looked OK. Checked for any frayed wires in fender, they're good. I know it's something simple, just can't find the simple

Moe55 10-29-2015 11:44 PM

Disconnect the non power wire on the rear brake light switch. If the light is still on leave the key on and trace the wires again. Look under the bike on the frame by the exhaust. Move the wires around see if the light goes out.
Some place the power wire is shorted to the light wire. It could have fallen down on the exhaust and fused together or could have had something hit it by the frame and pinch the wires together.

Have read on this forum that people have had plastic wire ties come off and wires fell down on exhaust.

AlCherry 10-30-2015 07:48 AM

I just had that problem a week ago. My cruise was canceling out and the brake lights were stuck on. I found that my front master cylinder had gunk in it. I took it apart, cleaned everything; reservoir, piston assembly, lever pin and bushing. Refilled it, bled it off and everything is fine. Took about 1/2 an hour.

btsom 10-30-2015 11:42 AM

99 times out of 100 this problem comes from changing grips or other work near the right switch box and the front brake light switch was damaged. So, now is the time to confess what you did to the right grip area just before you noticed the malfunction. If you have done nothing there, see if you have a brake light relay and pull it out. See if the light stays on or goes out. If the light goes out the relay is either stuck "on" or the trigger circuit is stuck "on". If you can feel the relay click when you reinstall it the relay is OK and you need to trace wires from each switch to the relay, I would start with the front switch. If you get into the switch box, make sure there is a small "V" shaped spring pushing the brake light switch toward the brake lever. If that fell out that could cause your symptom just as well as breaking the little button off the switch plunger.