Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going inverted! 2014 SGS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 10:47 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going inverted! 2014 SGS

I'm working with Kraus motor co. to upgrade the suspension on my 2014 SGS. They will be using my bike as a prototype for a bolt on kit there offering to the public in the near future. I will post pics and progress reports. And if your interested in upgrading the suspension on your touring model, dyna, fxr, or sportster check em out. I'm super stoked about this build! I can't wait to ride this thing when it's done. I've included some pics of there other builds so you can see why I'm so stoked!

http://www.krausmotorco.com/

Attached Thumbnails Going inverted! 2014 SGS-photo587.jpg   Going inverted! 2014 SGS-photo711.jpg  

Last edited by ScrapingFloorBoards; 10-29-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:30 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Inverted won't help your ride , it's what's inside that counts. On my 2011 I'm running motorcyclemetals 49mm triple trees , 49mm forks with Ohlin's 30mm fully adjustable cartridges inside. The 49mm forks reduce flex but the Ohlin's 30mm cartridges give you the ride , he offers them in inverted too.

Attached Thumbnails Going inverted! 2014 SGS-iphone-024.jpg  
Old 10-30-2015, 08:42 AM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
Inverted won't help your ride , it's what's inside that counts. On my 2011 I'm running motorcyclemetals 49mm triple trees , 49mm forks with Ohlin's 30mm fully adjustable cartridges inside. The 49mm forks reduce flex but the Ohlin's 30mm cartridges give you the ride , he offers them in inverted too.
Inverted forks make a world of difference. They're inherently stiffer than regular, and greatly reduce unsprung mass. Yeah, the guts play a role too, but there's a reason all performance bikes use inverted systems, they're just better. Plus, they have that beefy look HD loves to imitate with their cowbell covers.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:26 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Inverted won't help your ride , it's what's inside that counts.
Lol, what? Totally false. Reduction of unsprung weight is the very basis of inverted forks, and the reason EVERY performance motorcycle uses them. Both, Harleys XR 1200 and the Buells use them, for that very reason.
Edit: and some VRODS as well.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 10-30-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:04 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

Inverted forks with **** inside them are better than regular forks with **** inside them but not on par with my system , not even close . The 49mm forks are much stiffer and the 30mm Ohlins fully adjustable cartridges give you the performance. Motorcycle metals offers inverted forks with Ohlins 30mm cartridges inside them , if I went inverted that's how I would go , then you have the best of everything , simply inverting a fork without upgrading the components will only give you marginal improvements . When you talk of racing bikes with inverted forks look at what is inside them , the majority are running 30mm Ohlins inside.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScrapingFloorBoards
I'm working with Kraus motor co. to upgrade the suspension on my 2014 SGS. They will be using my bike as a prototype for a bolt on kit there offering to the public in the near future. I will post pics and progress reports. And if your interested in upgrading the suspension on your touring model, dyna, fxr, or sportster check em out. I'm super stoked about this build! I can't wait to ride this thing when it's done. I've included some pics of there other builds so you can see why I'm so stoked!

http://www.krausmotorco.com/
It looks like the kit is using Ohlins inverted forks. Is that the case? Also, will the touring model work with or require radial brakes? Looks like a pretty cool idea, definitely more than I would spend on forks but still cool.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:54 AM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Inverted forks with **** inside them are better than regular forks with **** inside them but not on par with my system , not even close . The 49mm forks are much stiffer and the 30mm Ohlins fully adjustable cartridges give you the performance. Motorcycle metals offers inverted forks with Ohlins 30mm cartridges inside them , if I went inverted that's how I would go , then you have the best of everything , simply inverting a fork without upgrading the components will only give you marginal improvements . When you talk of racing bikes with inverted forks look at what is inside them , the majority are running 30mm Ohlins inside.
And what makes you think Kraus would go through all the trouble of building this kit and then use **** inside them? Of course they would not.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:17 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

This is nothing new , Howard has been making inverted forks for XR and FXR for years and for dressers a few years back , click on inverted forks on his web page , you have to also upgrade to 6 piston brembo with his system , there's a picture of a Roadglide he did several years ago

Old 10-30-2015, 11:28 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

mmmm im kinda jealous. But that is one expensive build. Does the price include the triple trees, calipers, and the master cylinder? I mean if youre going big might as well get the brembo M50 monoblocs. If you have ABS, I wonder how they will retrofit the ABS sensor to make it work.

Anyways, Not everyone lives in FL to go to Howards shop. You should definitely check the website out.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
... If you have ABS, I wonder how they will retrofit the ABS sensor to make it work...
They would be smart to maintain the same spacing between the bottoms of the forks so stock axles and wheel spacers would work. Then the ABS sensor would fit where the stock one fits.

Quick Reply: Going inverted! 2014 SGS