Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG Open trailers VS enclosed V nose

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 05:04 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
if you'll be leaving it parked in hotel lots overnight,an enclosed is worth its weight.
That's what I'm thinking....It's my understanding that U-Haul doesn't like to rent it's motorcycle trailers for overnight/long distance hauling. I've done a day rental, no problem. Any have any experience??

Old 11-01-2015, 05:16 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I would love to have a enclosed trailer hands down. Problem is I live in a HOA and can't store a trailer outside. Only have a 2 1/2 garage and with a van, jeep and 2 bikes these no room for a enclosed trailer. A stand up or flat bed type trailer could work. I was thinking that the trade off would be gas savings. Thanks for all the replies.

Be Safe JIM

Old 11-01-2015, 05:20 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

I've pulled mine on a ken don,went from 22-16 mpg,only issue was at the hotel didn't feel warm or fuzzy. but it is easy to load and is light so it pulls easy.and stands up in the garage.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:43 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
if you'll be leaving it parked in hotel lots overnight,an enclosed is worth its weight.
I don't worry about it I have the Chariot Cycle sled 9 www.chariotmanufacturing.com , great trailer , it has an eyebolt that's probably 1 1/2" thick welded to the frame , I chain to it , put on 3 disc locks , lock my trailer to my SUV . I've never had a problem . I've had 3 friends with enclosed trailers have their trailers and bikes stolen. Nothing is 100%. I get a first floor room , back my trailer up to the room , set my alarm , put the gun on my night stand and go to bed.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Second Wind
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have both but prefer enclosed. Added this to the open trailer, doesnt look to great but only cost me $75.00 for the diamond plate. I really dont think about MPG's, you have to pay to play.

Attached Thumbnails MPG  Open trailers VS enclosed V nose-img_7082.jpeg  

Last edited by Second Wind; 11-01-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:38 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by luc.who
i tow a tandem axle vnose (7*12) with a 5.7 tundra. My MPG is about 9 while towing. Without the trailer I avg 15. I dont think there is much difference Vnose or bull nose. You are pulling a box and that is a lot of wind resistance.

I do like my bike inside for protection.
Wow! I am towing a 24' Featherlite loaded up with everything I need for a show and cried at 8.5/9 mpg from 15MPG in my E-350 6.9. I am adding a large camper shell that will be higher than the top of the trailer. It is a complete fabrication out of moulds for the fiberglass. See if that helps. I pulled across from LA to FT. Lauderdale & up to leesburg & Daytona a few times. It is a simi-V-nose & 8.5' wide.

Simi-V-Nose The way it is now

Last edited by FastHarley; 11-02-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:30 AM
1957xler
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJIM1158
I am looking to get a single bike trailer for times when I just can't ride due to Back problems, time or weather. I would think that a light flat single bike trailer would get better MPG then a box type trailer even with the v nose. I was at the trailer dealership and the salesman is telling me the the difference is very small due to the v nose. I think he's full of sh*t but would like to hear from others. I know the pros and cons for both, just want to know about gas MPG. Tow vehicle is a Toyota 6 cyl. van.

Thanks JIM
Good advise from others. I just picked up a Road King in enclosed V front, and pulled 450 miles. Truck is a Dodge Ram / V6. Gas mileage went from normal 20 MPG to 10 MPG. Truck pulled great though, and that was average 85 MPH on the interstate.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:54 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

I use a Forrest River 6x12 V nose and a Ford Escape 6cyl. I get 24 mpg in city and country until I hook up to the trailer and then my mileage drops to 10 mpg with or without my bike in it. I've checked and serviced bearings and tires but the mileage didn't improve.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:52 AM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

They say a flat nose with the nose cone is the most aerodynamic. How much a difference? Who knows. I'm starting to think the v nose is just a sales gimmick as far as aerodynamics are concerned. The other half is the rear drag thats also hurting fuel mileage. If one looks at semi-trailers, I've never seen a v nose box truck or semi-trailer. Some carriers are using sheet metal extensions that fold out to help reduce rear drag.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

The towing mileage will generally be better with a small open trailer than an enclosed trailer. A low roofed single axle V-nose will give very reasonable towing mileage. The biggest towing mileage drop comes when you increase roof height and add a second axle.

This is from personal experience. I've owned & used all of these configurations.

The best compromise for towing a single bike was a custom ordered 6x12 V-nose with 6' ceiling, single axle w/electric brakes. Got close to 20 mpg towing this setup with a midsize V6 pickup (truck got 29 mpg w/o trailer). Same truck towing open single axle w/o brakes got 22 mpg.

Current trailer is 7x14 V-nose with 6'6" ceiling dual axle w/electric brakes. Too big for the midsize truck. Pull it with a full size V8 pickup. Mileage in 10 mpg towing (truck w/o trailer gets 20 mpg). Dual axle adds rolling resistance. Higher roof adds wind resistance. Width should be non-factor since 7' is no wider than tow vehicle.

These examples are all from 20 plus years of MI to SD to MI trips, all run at posted speed limits on expressways.

Quick Reply: MPG Open trailers VS enclosed V nose