Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide CVO speedometer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Jaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide CVO speedometer replacement

Hi guys, new to the Touring area. So here are the details to my current project and beginning of my transition into a touring / bagger type of riding.

So I decided to let go my No Limit Customs build Night Rod Special a couple months ago and move towards a bagger.

I bought a 2010 Road Glide Custom, stage 2, lots of black powdercoating done to it, and lots of aftermarket parts including Bad Dad rear bags and fender. I bought it out of Quebec from a Chev dealer there and there was some language barriers being the salespeople were french. I am not sure if they meant to be misleading or it was a simple mistake but it was supposed to have the factory alarm, cruise, and, most importantly, ABS. It does not have any of those things.

I have never been much for buying a bike that has already been done and find the build to be one of the most exciting parts to owning the bike and the pride of doing the work myself. So I started looking for another bike and came across an '11 Road Glide Ultra CVO for what I felt was a pretty good deal.

The CVO is the black grey version, it has been dropped previously as it has some scratches and the one bag is cracked but it has alot of nice chrome parts and it has about 5k into the motor. I plan on swapping the parts on the two bikes and keeping the CVO. I will put the CVO parts and the chrome parts on the 2010 and unload it in the Spring.

The CVO has 81,000 km (50,000 miles) on it. I plan on replacing all the wear parts on it while doing an extensive build on it.

I would like to keep the CVO gauges but I want to put in a new speedometer. I have had higher mileage bikes in the past and nothing pisses me off more then when someone comes up and looks at all my hard work and money put into it and then makes some comment about how no one wants a bike with that high of mileage. I don't care if anyone else wants it, it is mine and I plan on keeping it for several years, but those comments get under my skin.

The mileage on the bike is registered, anyone doing a search would see actual miles to this point so I am not trying to "doop" anyone. I just want my nice fresh build to not get the needless negative comments.

How do I acquire a CVO speedometer with low to zero miles? Any assistance would be appreciated!! Thanks again

Old 11-11-2015, 03:46 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Not gonna happen!

Old 11-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds totally legit!

Old 11-11-2015, 05:45 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

just buy a new one
..... '11 CVOs had Titanium gauges didn't they ?
.... part # 74683-10, km/hr version

...... most buyers trust the odometer, make sure the next owner understands that some things may not be what they seem

Old 11-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
just buy a new one

...... most buyers trust the odometer, make sure the next owner understands that some things may not be what they seem
I believe it's stored in the computer. When he plugs it in it will set back to however many miles are on the bike.

If this is legit, your best option is a small rectangle of electric tape.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Jaxx
Tourer

Lol, I knew I was going to get some negative comments. For many off you those may seem like common mileage and people may be much more used to seeing it on the speedo. Here it is not. We have about 4 decent months of riding a year. Roads still have gravel on them after the winter and it is usually into May before I pull the bike out and, depending on the weather that year, sometimes we are finished with regular riding season by mid-September. What triggered this already was my neighbor coming over to check out my bike. He doesn't ride but always goes on about how he should have a bike. I was showing him all the parts I already have for the CVO build and when I turned the bike on he turned his nose up at the bike and asked why I would waste all that money on a warn out bike. Maybe to some of you this wouldn't bother you, to me, it's a **** off. I put alot of time and money into my projects and am always quite proud of them when I am finished. I do not show my bike, I don't stand beside it all shined up at shows and wait for compliments, but I sure do not appreciate needless negative remarks.

As far as being legit, yes it is. You may be correct about some going solely by the speedometer but in this day and age, atleast around here, almost all do a VIN search. We are in an economic downturn and there are too many trying to unload things with a lien still on them so people have learned the search is well worth the extra 30$.

I guess I could go with the Dakota Digital gauges, I just find it a shame as the CVO carbon fiber gauges are actually quite nice.

Attached was my last bike, I purchased a dropped salvage title Night Rod Special, tore it down and built it back up with parts from Germany and Denmark. Everyone loved the bike, it only had 8000km, and no one knew it was a salvage except the buyer and anyone I chose to inform. A few of the people I told was a mistake as it gave them a reason make comments that I really didn't appreciate.

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide CVO speedometer replacement-night-road-special.jpg  
Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Jaxx
Tourer

Originally Posted by groupw
just buy a new one

Thanks for the part number, appreciated. I will do some googling.

And yes, I agree with the your comments about letting them know. To be honest, I usually try to do a very nice build and most of my friends would be interested in the bike and prefer not to have everyone else know the mileage either. The past 3 bikes I have done I have kept for about 2 years each and then always sold to a friend or friend of a friend that had been asking me to sell.

Thanks again

Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

I guess you failed to read the post about the mileage on the speedometer resetting itself when plugged back into the ECU. This will happen regardless of what speedo you put on the bike and there's no company I know of that will knowingly jack around and falsify the mileage on an odometer. The fines would put them out of business before they could hang up the phone and close their door. A HD with 50,000+ miles is far from worn out.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Jaxx
Tourer

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
I guess you failed to read the post about the mileage on the speedometer resetting itself when plugged back into the ECU. This will happen regardless of what speedo you put on the bike and there's no company I know of that will knowingly jack around and falsify the mileage on an odometer. The fines would put them out of business before they could hang up the phone and close their door. A HD with 50,000+ miles is far from worn out.
Sorry my friend, I did indeed miss your post when I scrolled down. Thanks for the info.

And I totally agree on the mileage part or I wouldn't be wasting all the time and money I am going to put into the bike. Its a pain in the *** that it is so visible when the key is turned on. Short of the electrical tape, I guess if it bothers me enough I will have to go to the Dakota digital gauges and then just sell my CVO cluster and then there won't be any "questioning" of correct mileage as it will be aftermarket gauges or are you saying even if I go that route it will set the Dakotas as well to the original miles?

Or how about a nice set of gauges with the odometer completely deleted, anything you would recommend? That would be fine for me as well.

Thanks again

Last edited by Jaxx; 11-12-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:08 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

It will reset the Dakota Gauges to the mileage that is stored in the ECU. There is no way to get around it. Dakota Digital will reset the odometer on a used set of their gauges to another mileage amount, but you have to send in the ECU for them to do it as they won't falsify the mileage either. You can roll your mileage forward on an odometer as far as you want to, you just can't roll it back and they are tamper proof. Every street legal motor vehicle in North America has to have an odometer on it as far as I know.

Quick Reply: Road Glide CVO speedometer replacement