Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Tension on the Hayden M6

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Spring Tension on the Hayden M6

I have read a few threads on the site concerning the M6 BT07.

Yes, I know some of you have bought the product and junked it shortly after installation.

For those of you who have stayed the course... When did (assuming I'm not the only one) the whirling noise go away?

Do you feel the chain is tensioned too tight and if so... did you ever contemplate getting shorter springs... Someone had posted a picture of springs they received (I think from Hayden) which were about 1/4" shorter.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:32 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't even hear the whirling noise. I do have the shorter springs. Didn't try the longer springs. I doubt the noise will change a whole lot. Mine hasn't.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:45 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

No noise here either.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:38 AM
pearsom
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine's nice and quiet also.. Made a big difference for me. Installed it 4 months ago, well worth it for me.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

A bit of history... I bought the M6 BT07 and installed it.

In my opinion, I must have received... an older box (sitting around, which does happen) cause from what I understand there is a revision to the spring size (thus, tension) and my chain is simply too tight.

I get/have the whirl, I understand there is a break in process.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Scott B.
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No noise on mine either.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ran it for a year. Seemed tight on install and was always noisy. Went back to the stock auto tensioner after replacing compensator, ipb and ipb race. I'm not blaming the Hayden for the early replacement of these parts but the fact that the whirring noise never went away tells me the chain was running too tight.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:32 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

No noise but I did ride the bike for quite a while, (probably with version one installed because the mechanic said the prim chain was tighter than a banjo string after installing the Hayden), and a severe decel vibration suddenly occured. Took it into the same mechanic to see what was causing the huge vibe and the only thing he could find was the chain was overtight. Then shortly after that the bearing behind the clutch failed and had to put a new one of them in. Went back to stock tensioner before finally getting rid of the bloody bike.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

I contacted them yesterday and mentioned the springs, the tension, and the pitting/galling and 3 small pits (is the best way to describe it) which were discolored and recessed below the normal galling. As a result of our conversation slighting more to a shoe which was defective, they are sending a replacement free of charge.

This morning a buddy of mine stopped over with his springs and they are shorter than mine. WTF. I dunno. I sent Hayden a picture and I'm hoping they will send me a response and discuss the difference in length of his springs vs. mine.

If indeed, I received a box which had been laying around and included longer springs which have since been "changed out" for shorter ones... I hope that Hayden will send me the revised (shorter) springs to return my customer experience back in the favorable side.

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
I don't even hear the whirling noise. I do have the shorter springs. Didn't try the longer springs. I doubt the noise will change a whole lot. Mine hasn't.
Your box contained 4 springs?

Old 11-17-2015, 09:59 AM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Mine has been in for about 1000 miles, still whirrs. Took out the inner spring and just use the outer one. Still whirrs.

Quick Reply: Spring Tension on the Hayden M6