Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Road Glide stock 96" with 140,000 plus miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:53 AM
STLCHUCK
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2007 Road Glide stock 96" with 140,000 plus miles

Greetings,

I have been hearing a noticeable increase in valve train noise when cruising on the highway on my 07 Road Glide with over 140,000 miles. The engine sound fine at idle and during acceleration/deceleration. I just changed the plugs; they were fine with no oil on them and normal wear. The engine does not use oil and has never been apart except for a timing chain tensioner check at 80,000 miles (Harley mechanic said it was fine). The bike still gets over 50 MPG fully loaded at 70 MPH. The bike still runs like when I bought it at 17,000 miles six years ago.

I'm not sure where to look for the noise: valve rockers, valve springs, pushrods, lifters, cam, chain(s) tensioner(s), etc.

Thank you,

STLCHUCK

Last edited by STLCHUCK; 11-18-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You can eliminate some valve train noise by installing Rockout Rocker Locker Inserts...

and for me... my advice comes from a frugality stand point.

your mpg reporting caused me to tweak my head. You've been sucking back grandpa's old cough medicine?

Old 11-18-2015, 08:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Have you made any recent changes to your bike, like changed the windshield? Simple things like that can change how the engine sounds. Also having 'detected' a change you start looking for it and possibly hearing sounds that are not really there. Unfortunately sound doesn't travel too well over the internet, so you could call by a trusted dealer or indy and get them to **** an ear at it.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

If I turned even one bolt I'd do a top end rebuild, probably with 103 parts.

OR

I'd get some earplugs and ride it.

One or the other, nothing in between.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by STLCHUCK

I'm not sure where to look for the noise: valve rockers, valve springs, pushrods, lifters, cam, chain(s) tensioner(s), etc.

Thank you,

STLCHUCK
I would open up the cam chest and start looking at all of it with that many miles on it. The lifters would be a replacement if going in anyway. The rest of the stuff may look fine but you may have to take some wear measurements. Those should be in your service manual.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Only 140K? Holy crap, these twin cam engines are junk!

Greetings,

I have been hearing a noticeable increase in valve train noise when cruising on the highway on my 07 Road Glide with over 140,000 miles. The engine sound fine at idle and during acceleration/deceleration. I just changed the plugs; they were fine with no oil on them and normal wear. The engine does not use oil and has never been apart except for a timing chain tensioner check at 80,000 miles (Harley mechanic said it was fine). The bike still gets over 50 MPG fully loaded at 70 MPH. The bike still runs like when I bought it at 17,000 miles six years ago.

Thank you,

STLCHUCK

Old 11-18-2015, 01:44 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Greetings,

Thank you,

STLCHUCK
============================

1st a couple questions:

* What mfg's oil & grade are you running?

* What is oil pressure with motor hot (has run at least 45mins or so) in 80+ deg outside temp at idle & at cruise (2500-2,800rpm ) too?

Ok,since you said the motors running well at 140k miles before doing anything like opening up the cam chest and or even going deeper installing new lifters on cams with 140k on them that could end up leading to even more extensive & or more expensive engine work thats being suggested i highly rec you 1st try this.

It's not only inexpensive to do it's also easily done in 1day or long afternoon which should reduce valve train noise to some extent thats hopefully enough of a reduction in valve train noise to satisfy you without spending more money ,time & effort going deeper into a 140k mile motor that may do just fine after for the next few yrs or more of riding after doing what i rec vs possibly opening up a can of worms for lack of better words at time time:

* AS OTHER PEOPLE ALREADY SUGGESTED I ALSO REC INSTALLING " ROCKER-LOCKERS" OR = .(I just installed them in my 09 with stock 96" motor ,its a pretty easy install if you have avg wrenching skill.)

* WITH ALL THE MILES/140K ON THE MOTOR IT STILL HAS TO BE SOMEWHAT WORN NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT WAS MAINTAINED. SO TRY THIS SLIGHTLY HEAVIER VISC OIL (25-60) THATS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED & FORMULATED FOR HD'S THAT BEING A STD DINO OIL (BECAUSE IT DOESNT THIN AS MUCH HOT AS SOME SEMI-BLEND OR FULL SYN OILS OF SAME GRADE DO) ALONG WITH IT'S SLIGHTLY HEAVIER VISC IS PRETTY GOOD AT REDUCING VALVE TRAIN / LIFTER NOISE ESPECIALLY IN A 140K MILE HD MOTOR.

Doing both the above (yes installing the oil i rec too even if it was recently changed unless you used same oil & grade!) at the same time should hopefully help reduce overall valve train noise.

" BUT ",that's as long as there isnt a true issue like a bad or worn out collapsed lifter or lifters & or worn out cams (may or may not be the case with 140k on it) causing the additional valve train noise you said your motors experiencing.

A lot of guys would be surprised how much valve train nose can be reduced & hot oil pressure increased (using the oil i rec) just by installing that oil along with also installing the rocker lockers both at the same time ,been there done that.

Heres the oil & where to get it.

Let us know if you decide to try doing both the above things i rec along with how the motor responded to it like hopefully a reduction of valve train noise & if it also holds better oil pressure hot @ idle & cruise with that oil including what oil psi was before and after installing that oil too.

BTW,another thing that helps educe valve noise is to get the motor & oil running cooler like i did on my 09 with stock 96" motor when i got oil running 50+ deg cooler that made valves /lifters stay quieter like your having issues with along with other benefits too. (motor stopped detonating & motor in general was quieter/motor retained most of its pwr & trq along with crisper throttle response too,a lot less oil was being emitted from crankcase breather into bikes intake,hot starts post fueling up were much easier & faster too being easier on stater & battery,bit less heat was emitted from motor so a little more comfy to ride esp on a hot day,etc.)

What i did as install Wards cooling fans (dual) along with an ultracool oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans both at the same time that collectively working together as a cooling team reduced my bikes oil temp 50+ deg in hot 90+ deg summer heat.

Oil running 50+ cooler (esp in warmer outside temp) means oil doesnt thin as much helping to keep lifters quieter along with motor holding considerably better oil pressure at idle and cruise too that can also be something that could help your bike out along with all the other benefits i stated above too.

Scott

http://www.spectroshop.com/heavy-dut...60/prod_60.htm

Product Information

Heavy Duty
Spectro Heavy Duty Engine Oil is a superior motor lubricant designed specifically for use in American-made Harley® V-Twin engines. Crafted from superior petroleum stocks combined with the most advanced anti-wear, anti-carbon additive systems available, Spectro Heavy Duty extends component life, reduces wear, eliminates valve sticking. Meets all known OEM warranty requirements. Exceeds A.P.I. SF/SG – CD/CG - 4.

Price: $8.93

Last edited by wscott; 11-18-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:48 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

At 140K miles... don't change a thing. Do not change oils.

Install Rocker Lockers maybe. Maybe.

You're doing good.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:48 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Personally I'd leave well enough alone. If you just gotta do something a lifter change would be my next move. If a piece is going bad you will find out soon enough.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:09 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Only 140K? Holy crap, these twin cam engines are junk!
=======================

LOL!!!

I sure hope my 09's stock 96" TC motor go's 140k miles still running decent like the Op's without any deep engine repair work!!

Scott

Quick Reply: 2007 Road Glide stock 96" with 140,000 plus miles