Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel vs fiberglass extended tank.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:47 AM
totlpaul
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel vs fiberglass extended tank.

Hey I have a 06 RoadKing and it has a dent in the tank. I am looking to get a stretched tank. I want to know the pros and cons to fiberglass covers vs real steel stretched tank. Both will need paint and body. Is there any problems with either that i am not aware of?

Old 12-14-2015, 09:02 AM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are things to consider on both.
Fiberglass bond ons:
The obvious is that you will need to line up the sides and bond them on. In addition, they will require body work. The dash will need to be prefit and body worked as well. Fiberglass is easier to modify for any customizations you may want to make and they can be altered to fit the seat of your choosing.

Steel Tanks: They bolt right on, but will require you to remove the fuel pump from the original tank and install in the new one. Easy to do, but an extra step. Most require decent amount of bodywork, including the "brand name" ones from the big guys. I suggest testing the tank to make sure they do not have any leaks as many do not come pressure tested. Customizing the tank for a different look or to fit an off the shelf seat you like is not as easy. You will most likely need to make a seat pan and have a custom seat made. LePera and Danny Gray both make seats that fit the Yaffe tank and also fit most of the other stretched tanks as well.

Cost.... Both can be purchased for about the same price. There is a company called Hog Workz that makes a 6 gallon stretched tank similar to the Yaffe. It's under $500 and comes pressure tested, also requiring minimal body work. We use them quite a bit, but not sure they make one for 08 and older. I like this option because the stock tank can be sold for $300 if it's in good shape and it reduces my actual out of pocket expense to under $200 for the new tank. Good bond ons still run about $500 as well.