Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full charge battery voltage / std lead acid vs agm-gel vs lithium

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Full charge battery voltage / std lead acid vs agm-gel vs lithium

1st i want to say up front this isnt a post comparing battery types or which is best,its for information only on what proper full charge voltage is for the 3-4 diff type 12v battery designs on the market these days that people may not be aware of for their awareness when having battery & or charging issues.

I was bumping around the BATTERYMART website when i came across
a newer gen battery voltage tester that has a chart showing that full charge

voltage for diff type /design 12v batteries isn't always the 12.6-12.7 volts

we think it is thats often posted here in HDForums as full charge voltage for
all 12v batteries in general when its not really correct for all diff battery tech/design currently on the market .

The diff battery designs i am reffering to are the old school std flooded lead acid / maint free AGM avail as factory activated or activate yourself by filling with supplied acid pack & fully charging before use along with GEL & Llithium batteries that only come factory activated.

The chart showed 12.6v as full charge for a std flooded lead acid battery
& 12.9v as full charge for a 12v AGM/GEL battery & 13.6v for a 12v Lithium battery
showing the 12.6-12.7v full charge voltage isnt correct for AGM/GEL/Lithium 12v batteries.

So since i often see questions on battery & or charging system issues

i thought i'd post this info that some people may not be aware of because it looks as though a few guys still run std flooded lead acid batteries, the majority run maint free AGM batteries & a select few (with money tree's in their back yard !/ LOL!) run Lithium batteries in their HD's all of which have different 50% , 75%, & full / 100% charge voltages according to the chart on the new battery tester on Battery Marts website.

See below for the 50% , 75% & full charge voltages for the 3-4 diff design
batteries on the market these days.

NOTE: The proper / most accurate way to check a batteries full charge voltage is to
1st fully charge it and then remove it from the battery charger .

Then let the battery sit without the motorcycles battery cables attached to it for a minimum
of 4-6hrs or more before testing it's voltage which at that point would be it's full charge voltage.

Just be aware that if you check battery voltage right after removing a manual type non float charger it will in many cases show in-accurate higher voltage then the true full charge voltage for the type battery design your running .

When using a float type maint charger i'd rec letting it 1st fully charge the battery and cut back to the low rate float charge mode .

Then remove the float charger from the battery let it sit for a min of 4-6hs with no battery cables from the motorcycle hooked to it before testing it's testing to see it's true full charge voltage.

BTW,I did the above using a float charger on the 1.5 yr old std lead acid autzone battery in my car & the 2.5 yr old agm bigcrank ETX30L battery in my 09 HD too and guess what?

Both batteries were dead nuts on the full charge voltages shown in the chart shown on the new battery voltage tester i saw on BatteryMarts website verifying to me it's correct for std flooded lead acid & AGM batteries.

Unfortunately i dont have a Lithium battery to fully charge & test to see if it's full charge voltage matches the charts full charge voltage on the new voltage testers chart ,but at this point i dont see any reason to not believe it .

Scott

=============================================

STD-FLOODED LEAD ACID

50%-12.2V
75%-12.4V
100%-12.6V

AGM-GEL

50%-12.4V
75%-12.7V
100%-12.9V

LITHIUM

50%-13.1V
75%-13.3V
100%-13.6V

==============================================

If interested here's a link to the battery tester from BatteryMart showing the voltage chart covering the majority of 12V battery designs currently on the market .

http://www.batterymart.com/p-ts127-o...m_content=1216

Last edited by wscott; 12-17-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:23 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Bump.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:17 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

If the battery starts my bike, its good.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:39 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

is harley using agm's in their bikes? good post

Old 12-18-2015, 09:41 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oakmossy
is harley using agm's in their bikes? good post
===================

Yes, as are the majority of guys buying repl batteries for their HD's are buying AGM maint free repl batteries.

Scott

Old 12-18-2015, 10:04 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sixguns
If the battery starts my bike, its good.
================

Well not always & you missed the point of this post.

Thats because if someones having any kind or starting or general electrical issues that could be a battery issue they need to know proper charge voltages at diff % charge lvls.

So for example ,the voltages vary enough that a std lead acid battery 100% full charge voltage is only 75% charge voltage for an agm battery & a lithium battery has even more of a dif in charge voltage then std vs agm batteries does.

That kind of info is what's needed when having a battery issue because the 12.6 volt full charge info thats often posted here in hdForums as being the correct full charge voltage for a 12v motorcycle battery is i fact not correct anymore esp for AGM batteries that HD's come with .

Thats why i posted this to get the word out that all the diff battery tech on the market these days in fact has diff charge voltages @ 25%/50%/75% & 100% charge too so they can properly diagnose possible battery issue esp when ensuring a batteries been fully charged prior to having it load tested.

So of you charge an agm battery that may be low/somewhat discharged to only 12.6v like is posted here as full charge voltage for a 12v bike battery thinking its fully charged when it's only @ 12.6v only being 75% charge for an AGM battery & then have it load tested at only 75% charge 12.6v when by design full charge voltage for agm 12v bike battery is 12.9v you will get an inaccurate load test result .

Doing that could possibly lead to buying a new battery when maybe all you needed to do was properly /fully charge the agm battery to its proper higher 12.9 volt 100% charge lvl prior to having it load tested .

Now i hope you see what i am getting at & why i posted this in the 1st place.

Happy motoring !

Scott

Old 12-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I wonder how many people actually know the full charge voltage of their whip REGARDLESS the type of battery at any time other than when they may be experiencing (most commonly known as) battery failure.

i do know this... its not the 12v to 12 (point) whatever that your battery reads that will crank your beast regardless the type of battery. It is the (preferably load tested for accuracy) cold cranking amps that determines if you will be stuck on the side of the road.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:42 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
is harley using agm's in their bikes
At least for 10 years, my 06 Ultra came with one. My "other" bike is a 1975 Suzuki GT750 "Water Buffalo"; of course it originally had a vented lead acid batt. I recently found a AGM for it. It's nice not to have to mess with that vent tube anymore and no chance of acid getting on my collectible.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Font is too small for my eyes - why use a smaller one than stock? That's better!

Originally Posted by wscott
1st i want to say up front this isnt a post comparing battery types or which is best,its for information only on what proper full charge voltage is for the 3-4 diff type 12v battery designs on the market these days that people may not be aware of for their awareness when having battery & or charging issues.

I was bumping around the BATTERYMART website when i came across
a newer gen battery voltage tester that has a chart showing that full charge

voltage for diff type /design 12v batteries isn't always the 12.6-12.7 volts

we think it is thats often posted here in HDForums as full charge voltage for
all 12v batteries in general when its not really correct for all diff battery tech/design currently on the market .

The diff battery designs i am reffering to are the old school std flooded lead acid / maint free AGM avail as factory activated or activate yourself by filling with supplied acid pack & fully charging before use along with GEL & Llithium batteries that only come factory activated.

The chart showed 12.6v as full charge for a std flooded lead acid battery
& 12.9v as full charge for a 12v AGM/GEL battery & 13.6v for a 12v Lithium battery
showing the 12.6-12.7v full charge voltage isnt correct for AGM/GEL/Lithium 12v batteries.

So since i often see questions on battery & or charging system issues

i thought i'd post this info that some people may not be aware of because it looks as though a few guys still run std flooded lead acid batteries, the majority run maint free AGM batteries & a select few (with money tree's in their back yard !/ LOL!) run Lithium batteries in their HD's all of which have different 50% , 75%, & full / 100% charge voltages according to the chart on the new battery tester on Battery Marts website.

See below for the 50% , 75% & full charge voltages for the 3-4 diff design
batteries on the market these days.

NOTE: The proper / most accurate way to check a batteries full charge voltage is to
1st fully charge it and then remove it from the battery charger .

Then let the battery sit without the motorcycles battery cables attached to it for a minimum
of 4-6hrs or more before testing it's voltage which at that point would be it's full charge voltage.

Just be aware that if you check battery voltage right after removing a manual type non float charger it will in many cases show in-accurate higher voltage then the true full charge voltage for the type battery design your running .

When using a float type maint charger i'd rec letting it 1st fully charge the battery and cut back to the low rate float charge mode .

Then remove the float charger from the battery let it sit for a min of 4-6hs with no battery cables from the motorcycle hooked to it before testing it's testing to see it's true full charge voltage.

BTW,I did the above using a float charger on the 1.5 yr old std lead acid autzone battery in my car & the 2.5 yr old agm bigcrank ETX30L battery in my 09 HD too and guess what?

Both batteries were dead nuts on the full charge voltages shown in the chart shown on the new battery voltage tester i saw on BatteryMarts website verifying to me it's correct for std flooded lead acid & AGM batteries.

Unfortunately i dont have a Lithium battery to fully charge & test to see if it's full charge voltage matches the charts full charge voltage on the new voltage testers chart ,but at this point i dont see any reason to not believe it .

Scott

=============================================

STD-FLOODED LEAD ACID

50%-12.2V
75%-12.4V
100%-12.6V

AGM-GEL

50%-12.4V
75%-12.7V
100%-12.9V

LITHIUM

50%-13.1V
75%-13.3V
100%-13.6V

==============================================

If interested here's a link to the battery tester from BatteryMart showing the voltage chart covering the majority of 12V battery designs currently on the market .

http://www.batterymart.com/p-ts127-o...m_content=1216

Old 12-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read that an AGM battery in good shape should deliver 8.4 Volts just as the starter motor starts to spin. Mine does

Quick Reply: Full charge battery voltage / std lead acid vs agm-gel vs lithium