Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware the HD premium oil cooler!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:18 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Beware the HD premium oil cooler!

I guess the best way to warn everyone is to tell the whole story, so here goes....

This past week at Thunder Beach, my Ultra ran hot, commenced heat management, and died. Ok, I was in stop-and-go traffic on beach front road, but still, there were alot of other Harleys still chugging along when I pulled over. Oil temp gauge was showing 230*. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, cooled off to 170*, and went again. Had to pull over again. Same deal.

The trip down, and back, running 75-80, oil temp showed 230*. No problem as long as you are moving. The local indy shop tells me that on average, the actual engine temp, as read by the engine temp sensor in the rear of the front head, is normally 60-70* warmer than what we see on our oil temp gauges. So, that being said, at 230* I am actually near 300* actual engine temp. Not so good. No problem understanding the heat management issue at that temperature.

Now the meat and taters of the story. As I said, I have the HD premium low mount oil cooler. You know, the one with the thermostat in the filter adaptor. I let the bike sit and idle in my garage last night to determine when the thermostat actually allows oil to start flowing through the cooler. Yup, you probably guessed it, 230*! Keeping my high compression build in mind, you can imagine that cylinder head temperature is going to be an issue at that temperature.

Now for the resolution. I installed a Jagg downtube mount oil cooler in addition to the low mount HD cooler and swapped the HD cooler adaptor for a Jagg non-thermostat adaptor. Just got back from a 20 or so mile ride. Max oil temp was 175*.

I was "Lucky" enough to get one of the last HD coolers sitting in dealer stock right before they became non-existent last year. Some of you may remember the oil cooler shortage last summer. A buddy of mine just bought a brand new HD premium cooler for his bike and it came with a Jagg style adaptor without a thermostat. Funny aint it?

The bottom line is that if you have a hot engine build, and a HD premium cooler, you might want to double check which adaptor you have. Maybe this will save someone some headaches and a few dollars....

nogood o~`o

Old 05-09-2007, 12:31 AM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Beware the HD premium oil cooler!

How did you mount your Jagg oil cooler, or did you remove the fairing lowers?

[IMG]local://upfiles/8977/8C46019323B24CCBBE9E9293C269652E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2007, 12:54 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using the Jagg Deluxe for years & love it!

I do not use a thermostat or bypass valve either. In the winter, I just cover the cooler so that the cold air does not pass thru the cooling fins.

As far as the CHT (ET) sensor, at least with a DTT ECM, it reads in degress C. The bike enters warm state @ 110 degrees C. Since I've been playing w/my DTT, the highest ET I have seen is roughly 125 degrees C. Admittedly, it's not summer yet and the highest oil temp I've seen this year is 200 degrees F.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:02 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you check which one you have?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:29 AM
wnogood
Banned

ORIGINAL: bay13

How do you check which one you have?
The thermostat equipped HD adaptor is a cast unit, and appears quite thin. Mine was actually black wrinkle finish. The Jagg adaptor is a fully machined piece that actually is 2 pieces that bolt together.

nogood o~`o

Old 05-09-2007, 01:32 AM
wnogood
Banned

ORIGINAL: buttman

How did you mount your Jagg oil cooler, or did you remove the fairing lowers?

[IMG]local://upfiles/8977/8C46019323B24CCBBE9E9293C269652E.jpg[/IMG]
I actually removed the vents from the lowers, more for airflow, than fitment of the cooler. I rotated the cooler just slightly towards the front of the bike, just enough to clear the lower on that side. Saw that done on another ultra and the owner claimed it worked just fine.

nogood o~`o

Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

WNO- (26155-07) starts to get warm after short/cool ride.Touch the finsnowand then,but dont have a temp gauge. Read other posts warning about watching it going the other way-staying on. Most of the problem I see Is to just be aware that it can malfuntion and do the "touch" test semi annually. Thanks to posts on the board and wno-thanks for the heads up!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got the preimium oil cooler on my bike, but might be the earlier version without the adapter mentioned. Anyone got a pic of this adapter to see how its set up or if by chance mine has this? thanks...

Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe you had a bad t'stat for the cooler. mine flows at 190.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:35 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking at buying an oil cooler as well. So basically, if I buy the HD#26155-07 oil cooler It will already have the jagg type connector and will be without the thermostat? Which is obviously what I want after reading your post.

John

Quick Reply: Beware the HD premium oil cooler!