Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Mainshaft Seal Leak...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Mainshaft Seal Leak...

Took the bike for a very cold 100 mile shakedown ride.

and right now... I don't even want to look at the Biotch.

I put cardboard under the bike... checked it this morning and pink fluid... maybe a tablespoon's worth was on the cardboard.

Jacked it up... traced the fluid and could see the trail coming from between the outside of the sprocket (which is the side closest to the inner primary. Now... please correct me if I'm wrong... would this imply the final drive gear (that is pressed in from inside the trans case) is the cuplrit for the leaking seal. Once again... the oil is not coming from between the sprocket and the transmission case... its coming from between the sprocket and the primary case.

Now... Definitely upsetting because I just put it all back together not too many months ago. Maybe I nicked either the main trans seal or the final drive seal.

Could the output shaft be bent causing either seal to weaken and leak?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Old 02-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia

Jacked it up... traced the fluid and could see the trail coming from between the outside of the sprocket (which is the side closest to the inner primary. Now... please correct me if I'm wrong... would this imply the final drive gear (that is pressed in from inside the trans case) is the cuplrit for the leaking seal. Once again... the oil is not coming from between the sprocket and the transmission case... its coming from between the sprocket and the primary case.

Now... Definitely upsetting because I just put it all back together not too many months ago. Maybe I nicked either the main trans seal or the final drive seal.

Could the output shaft be bent causing either seal to weaken and leak?
Guess since I cannot get my head tuned to your terms. I assume the inner primary side you are referring to to me is the transmission face and the sprocket it the belt drive pulley. Did you have the transmission apart? If so there are 3 seals on that side. Quad ring is easy to nick. That seal use to nothing more then to metal to metal.

But then, I think you are referring to the inner primary seal. That pressed on inner race and the bearing support the shaft. Did you tape the input shaft spline before going back on with the inner primary case if that is what you had off.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:38 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,828 Likes on 8,403 Posts

I'm not clear either on what you are saying about the final primary gear drive that is pressed on from inside the Transmission case. There is a bearing that is pressed into the side of the transmission case from inside it and the main shaft goes through that bearing to reach the primary.
Getting to your point of oil being visible from between the primary pulley and the inner primary case says that your lip seal is leaking. There is a replacement for that which combines the lip seal and the mainshaft bearing in one piece.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

If transmission lube is leaking in the area between the sprocket and the inner primary cover, it is most likely getting past the seal (item 13) that fits into the end of the main drive gear (item 16).

A lot of folks overlook this seal...

Put some cellophane tape over the splines of the mainshaft when installing the seal (or when passing the mainshaft through the main drive gear) to help prevent the splines from damaging the seal.

(Illustration from Granite State Harley Davidson)

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
Now... please correct me if I'm wrong... would this imply the final drive gear (that is pressed in from inside the trans case) is the cuplrit for the leaking seal. Once again... the oil is not coming from between the sprocket and the transmission case... its coming from between the sprocket and the primary case.
You are on the right track here...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-07-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:44 PM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming the pink is tranny oil, the leak is seal #13. If pink is inner primary oil it would be the inner primary seal. I feel your pain, I replaced my inner primary bearing and replaced all seals including shift shaft seal that was not leaking , 500miles later shift shaft seal leak wtf ? Had to take it all apart again.

Last edited by highmarket; 02-07-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

If he is talking about the transmission, If I did 13, I would also do the large seal that seals on the main drive gear just back of the largest serration. It's not on Dan's illistration

Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I just did mine last week. I changed every seal and gasket.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I went through this. Check your trans vent. I had the seals changed, no leaks until I went on a long ride. Indy changed seals 3 times, I paid twice, refused the last time. I used a zip tie to clear the vent.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:19 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

While your in there, make sure you change out the shifter seal, and the primary seals. They only cost a few $.

I thought I needed to replace my main trans seal, and once I had everything apart, I noticed my leak was the shifter seal.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 AM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you had a chance to tear into it yet?