Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Worthless Fuel Gauge.... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/109397-worthless-fuel-gauge.html)

06TEXASCLASSIC 05-11-2007 02:14 AM

Worthless Fuel Gauge....

Anyone else have one?

My fuel gauge shows 3/8 of a tank when I know (watching the miles) that I need fuel. It will hold4 1/2 gallons at this point.

I dont feel I should have to always be checking my miles, when I have a fuel gauge that should be a lot closer. I DO feel that HD should fix this problem under warranty on a 20K+ bike.

SoCal_Pappy 05-11-2007 02:19 AM

RE: Worthless Fuel Gauge....

Live by the Miles - Not the Gauage

Never had a Gas Gauage on a HD that was anywhere close... That's why we use to have reserve on the petcock valve we knew we had enough to make it to the next fuel stop (well maybe), No Directionals, No Speedo's... (lol)

sparky_mo 05-11-2007 02:34 AM

I alway set the trip meter and go by it. Don't trust the fuel guage.

PapaTravis 05-11-2007 03:12 AM

On my bike, like the rest of you, I have two trip settings. One is set for when I bought my bike used, just to show me how far I have driven, and the other gets reset whenever I fuel up. I leave it set on the fill up trip setting and use it religously. But I find that the longer I have my bike, the easier it is for me to just know when I will need fuel. Just feels like the time, and I am always right. I have heard that thoseLED guages are more accurate. I want to switch to the flush mount gauge and fuel cover. But, I am still lucky enough to have a reserve tank. I guess still having a carb does have some advantages.:D

RamDez 05-11-2007 05:00 AM

My fuel guage shows when its Full and when its Empty ....................... everything in between is just bloody lies.

Use your trip meter :)

dgriffith 05-11-2007 08:10 AM

My fuel light comes on at about 1/4 tank mark and it takes 3.8 gal. to fill it. You can set your watch by it. Its been like that since new. Mileage is about 43. 06 Ultra. Dan

Thunderbolts 05-11-2007 08:17 AM

What RamDez said[sm=youreright.gif]

ORIGINAL: RamDez

My fuel guage shows when its Full and when its Empty ....................... everything in between is just bloody lies.

Use your trip meter :)

notlost_nc 05-11-2007 09:00 AM

Mine fills with condensation as soon as I pull out of the garage.
Lasts until about noon. It is accurate though :D

jbhawley 05-11-2007 09:20 AM

I have finally figured out the formula for the fuel gauge. use this an you will get an acurate reading everytime.
[ol][*]Start with a full tank of fuel[*]deduct 1% for every 1000ft above sea level[*]add 1% for every 1 degree F above 75 degrees[*]subtract 2.3% for every 2 degrees F below 74 degrees[*]if you are using non-93 octane then subtract the octane level and multiply by .2%.[/ol]That will give you an acurate reading as to gallons in the tank vs actual fuel gauge reading. here is the formula written out

a -.01(1000)^SL+(.01)-.1000^75-(.023)-2>74(93)-b/2(2)

I guarantee if you can figure that one out then you can figure out why the fuel gauge is not acurate.

Doc 05-11-2007 09:24 AM

If it is broke, have it fixed. You didn't spend 20+ thousand for it to be broke. On my 07 Ultra, my dealer worked on mine until it is now right on.... Couldn't be better.....