Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   103 High output cams? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1099955-103-high-output-cams.html)

chgofirefighter 02-20-2016 10:18 AM

103 High output cams?

The 2015 RGS special has the SE255 cams I do believe? Haven't rode the bike much but I am doing a few mods before the summer comes. Undecided wether to give these stock cams a try or switched them to the Andrews 57H cam?

I am in the process of ordering V&H head pipes in black and the monster dual exhaust and possibly the FP3 or PV tuner, wondering if I should just do the cams or ride the bike with these minor mods and see what happens... Thoughts? The stock bike rides HMMMM, OK, its an improved version from my previous SGS, SG 103 engine. My mechanic is telling me to switch the cams like asap~ but not sure yet... decisions, decisions~

lp 02-20-2016 10:28 AM

They are not SE255s exactly but very close. They are in my opinion the best OEM stock cams ever provided. They perform very well. That said, any aftermarket cam is going to beat them number wise.

I personally see no need to change them because they work well for two up etc and they are under factory warranty for 2 years. I don't think I'll change them even after. They work just as well as 255s but without the valve train noise...

OldEnuf2NoBtr 02-20-2016 10:29 AM

The cams that come in the "Special" line-up are not the SE 255's but are a grind that's relatively close. Try your mods first and if they're acceptable stay with them. If you still feel that you need more, then open up the cam-chest.

OldPhat 02-20-2016 10:36 AM

Rushmore Bikes do not have SE-255 cams, their cams have different timing and duration
and less lift than SE-255. Rushmore cams are between 2013 cams and SE-255 cams with
more duration then the 2013 cams with less lift then 255's, it's a good all around cam.

chgofirefighter 02-20-2016 01:26 PM

Thanks guys, I'm just going to do the few mods and leave the cams for later down the line. Who knows I may end up doing a 110 kit in the future anyway~ But for now, she's ok

0ldhippie 02-20-2016 01:28 PM

Seems like 110/85 is pretty normal with a proper stage 1. While ya can gain some hp up top (maybe 95-100) with a cam swap, I don't think it is worth the time and money without headwork to go along with the cams.

chgofirefighter 02-20-2016 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie (Post 14863841)
Seems like 110/85 is pretty normal with a proper stage 1. While ya can gain some hp up top (maybe 95-100) with a cam swap, I don't think it is worth the time and money without headwork to go along with the cams.

Yes Sir, sounds about right~

2013_FLHTK 02-20-2016 02:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter (Post 14863512)
The 2015 RGS special has the SE255 cams I do believe? Haven't rode the bike much but I am doing a few mods before the summer comes. Undecided wether to give these stock cams a try or switched them to the Andrews 57H cam?

I am in the process of ordering V&H head pipes in black and the monster dual exhaust and possibly the FP3 or PV tuner, wondering if I should just do the cams or ride the bike with these minor mods and see what happens... Thoughts? The stock bike rides HMMMM, OK, its an improved version from my previous SGS, SG 103 engine. My mechanic is telling me to switch the cams like asap~ but not sure yet... decisions, decisions~

Your RGS will run great with some minor changes and a good tune.

Wish I could have the same stock cam in my 2013.

Jaystn62 02-20-2016 03:22 PM

I've seen some dyno runs on another forum that good tuners are making impressive numbers with just a basic stage 1 on the 14 and newer bikes. Seems the main thing is picking the right exhaust. Most put more time into looking for the best sound compared to which combination will make the most power.

chgofirefighter 02-21-2016 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jaystn62 (Post 14863983)
I've seen some dyno runs on another forum that good tuners are making impressive numbers with just a basic stage 1 on the 14 and newer bikes. Seems the main thing is picking the right exhaust. Most put more time into looking for the best sound compared to which combination will make the most power.

Yes, correct. Others are also looking for just "looks" I am looking for performance, Jamie from fuel moto recommended the V&H monster slip ons and the VH head pipes (headers) along with either a power vision or FP3 and their billet air cleaner.. :icon_headbang:

But I am liking the RSD Clarity line for air cleaner and derby cover... decision, decisions