Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Broke clutch cable adjuster (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1102420-broke-clutch-cable-adjuster.html)

decencyxdefied 03-03-2016 11:12 PM

Broke clutch cable adjuster

While riding last week I noticed alllot of play in my lever.. When I got home and attempted to adjust the clutch cable I noticed the inner threaded(not sure what its called) was broke.. I've only had these cables for 2 years and havnt had to mess with them much.. They r Barnett cables, bought from a company that's on here.. They say they only time they have ever seen that is when the adjustment is too tight.. I could see that being the issue if it happened as soon as it was adjusted but not a year or so later.. Anyway.. Has anyone else see this happen before
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...5c3bf16069.jpg

bigheadted 03-04-2016 09:19 AM

What a bummer !! I have seen this when the cable was installed under tension, meaning say the upper portion was clamped to the downtube and kind of forced the lower part to pull on it.? Hard to put in words. Years ago we built this little rigid Shovelhead and the clutch cable was a little long, in order to have a cleaner look we used hard clamps to mount the cable in line with the downtube. The cable had a bit of tension from the lower part of the cable
The combination of the tension and vibration probably caused the adjuster to eventually break.

Maybe contact Barnett and see if they can rebuild it cheaper than replacing??

DanHappy 03-04-2016 11:41 AM

... thinking out loud here...

Looks like the male threaded part is out really far. Maybe the male part was not strong enough, with only a few threads threaded in, to hold up to the vibrations and pressure its under?

decencyxdefied 03-04-2016 04:59 PM

Not sure on the length, it's what was sent in my package deal.. But I do agree it had to be adjusted down alot.. Maybe I need an inch shorter.. I havnt had to adjust it much.. Maybe once since I put the bars on.. I followed everything the manual said if I remember correctly, it's been 2 years lol..

SBates08 03-04-2016 06:12 PM

Here's the thing on length....it doesn't matter if your cable is 72" or 102", if it's long enough for the application it will adjust out and work properly so an inch shorter cable isn't your issue. I have noticed cables from several different brands are having to be adjusted way too far out for my liking and your situation is why.

SpiderPig 03-04-2016 06:46 PM

I have a take off clutch cable # 38667-00 if your interested drop me a PM

bagman1 03-05-2016 08:33 AM

Call Barnett before you go buy another cable, they have a cable extender that is used for too long of cables. I put their cables on my sons bike and couldnt adjust without the threaded end coming out. They sent tome free.
What you would need to do is remove the broken piece, slip in the extender and you will be good to adjust.

decencyxdefied 03-05-2016 09:13 AM

I'll give them a call Monday..id love to be riding right now.. We made a trip to the lake house and had to drive lol..

Bobino 03-05-2016 10:34 AM

While adjusting my diamondback clutch cable, I had a brain fart and overtightened it. It broke just like what the picture is showing. It wasn't the first time I was doing that adjustment, so yeah, I was pretty upset. I had to buy another one. Lesson learned.

decencyxdefied 03-05-2016 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bobino (Post 14909468)
While adjusting my diamondback clutch cable, I had a brain fart and overtightened it. It broke just like what the picture is showing. It wasn't the first time I was doing that adjustment, so yeah, I was pretty upset. I had to buy another one. Lesson learned.

That would be understandable had I adjusted it recently, it's been months since I've touched it.