Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial impression of Baker Compensator

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:40 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Initial impression of Baker Compensator

I finally got tired of the clunks and loose marble sound coming from my primary and ordered a new compensator for the '13 Glide from Baker. I ordered on a Thursday and it was at my work that Friday!

The install only took a couple of hours and all I can say is Wow! No clunk on shutdown, no jar of marbles, no gun cocking sound when I blip the throttle, and the mechanical noises from the left side is quieter than when I first got the bike.

So far I only have about 50 miles on it, but so far so good.

The following users liked this post:
lp (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Kool!!

Old 04-04-2016, 04:07 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

Glad it works well out of the box. Still waiting for the first few who accumulate 25,000 to 50,000 miles. Then we will know if it out lasts the HD version.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:43 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you like your compensator. Looks like mine is one of the few with the dreaded warped spring issue. Currently have a call in with baker and am waiting for resolution. Hope we can sort this out on mine. A lot of money for a product that only lasted 5 months.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Cdal1
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kylebryan
Glad you like your compensator. Looks like mine is one of the few with the dreaded warped spring issue. Currently have a call in with baker and am waiting for resolution. Hope we can sort this out on mine. A lot of money for a product that only lasted 5 months.
I'm looking at buying the baker compensator, but curious when you purchased yours. I have read about this problem but thought it was something that was fixed.

The main thing I really liked was you didn't have to glue anything with there setup. But if there still having issues may just go with the se unit.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:02 PM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

If I remember correctly, Baker changed spring manufacturers, hopefully for that issue.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:20 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard the same about their springs being fixed in newer versions. I'm just hoping we can get mine warrantied.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by kylebryan
...Looks like mine is one of the few with the dreaded warped spring issue. Currently have a call in with baker and am waiting for resolution. Hope we can sort this out on mine. A lot of money for a product that only lasted 5 months.
I have one of the first production units and it developed a bit of a clunk on start-up. I contacted Baker and they want it back (as suggested above, they think it's the spring).

Mark at Baker has been terrific to work with. I am sending him my unit and should receive a replacement next week. Because my riding season hasn't started yet, I won't be able to actually test out the new comp for a few more weeks.

FWIW, except for the clunk on start, the new comp performed better then expected. Completely eliminated the surging, allowed for much smoother/positive shifting, and finding neutral has never been easier.

And no, I have no connection with Baker except being a customer.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Cdal1
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
I have one of the first production units and it developed a bit of a clunk on start-up. I contacted Baker and they want it back (as suggested above, they think it's the spring).

Mark at Baker has been terrific to work with. I am sending him my unit and should receive a replacement next week. Because my riding season hasn't started yet, I won't be able to actually test out the new comp for a few more weeks.

FWIW, except for the clunk on start, the new comp performed better then expected. Completely eliminated the surging, allowed for much smoother/positive shifting, and finding neutral has never been easier.

And no, I have no connection with Baker except being a customer.

How hard was the install of their compensator? I plan on doing it myself and have been reading up and watching videos and it doesn't seem all that bad. Is this an afternoon project, or is that wishful thinking.

Btw this will be going on a 09 rkc that I literally just bought. It's my first Harley and didn't know what to look for when buying, but oh well gotta get this fixed cause it's pretty embarrassing when others are around during startup.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:49 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

Seems like an afternoon project at most, to me. If I were going to install one of these, I would also order and install their Attitude Adjuster at the same time.

Quick Reply: Initial impression of Baker Compensator