Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Parts- get excited- fail to think it through...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts
Default New Parts- get excited- fail to think it through...

I got an amazing deal on the hand adjustable shocks, they arrived yesterday, std length for my FLHTC replacing teh 13" air shocks.

While I had the saddlebags off, I had a few other things to do, including tidying up some wiring, removing the old air lines, rerouting airline for recently added cop seat etc. ( tank is in the rt saddlebag) and I have electrics in teh saddlebags so connectors which ned to be fished up and plugged in.

I use the the ezup centerstand on a piece of plywood to raise the rear tire...A lot more effort than usual to raise the bike- but doable.
Quicker and easier than getting out the jack and no need to take the bike up 2 feet.

the shock swap was quick and straightforward, although I realized that the new shocks are longer than the stock 13's they replaced.
I use a wedge of wood under the rear tire to move the swingarm up/down to the shock eyes and make it easy to line up the bolts.

I then fiddled with the wiring and other stuff then mounted up the saddlebags to try out these new shocks- cop seat tank is in saddlebag, so connect air line and pump it up.

put tools away and get bike onto ground and right away notice that the rear of the bike sits higher as I duck paddle into the drive way.

back into the garage...check the belt -tight as a banjo string!...saddlebags off, get out the 36mm wrenches and torque wrench...set the tension, button that up...hook up air lines and pump up seat...

put tools away, I go to start the bike and notice the headlight shines lower than I am used to seeing in the garage---doh!

turn off bike, take off headlight trim ring and rough adjust headlight.

...silly, I should have thought this all the way through before opening the tool box the first time.

new shocks seem pretty good, just some local riding and markedly smoother ride for my ailing back.

Did a little night riding with allen key in pocket and dialed in headlight.
just put trim ring back on

Mike

Old 04-15-2016, 12:22 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like me and plumbing.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:29 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

It's actually refreshing to know that someone as thorough and seasoned as you are Mike still gets excited and diverted from what was previously a well laid plan. We are human after all. No matter how much I plan I always find something I missed.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:35 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like me and a home improvement project, if i go once its at least 5 times to lowes for something i missed or forgot or didn't know I'd need. hate that...

Batman