Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Road King Classic- first ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 05:19 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts
Default 2009 Road King Classic- first ride

I bought a new to me 09 Road King Classic back in February but due to tendon surgery in my elbow I have not been able to ride it until yesterday. I didn't even get to take it for a test ride so I had the seller ride it up and down the street and shift through the gears for me several times at varying speeds and RPMs so I could at least hear how it ran. It sounded good and looked great so I bought it. My friend rode it home for me and it has sat there in my shed tempting me ever since. Finally the day came that the doc said I was ready and what a day it was. A picture perfect 80 degree Pennsylvania day.
I am still a little weak in my right arm so I only did about 75 miles but those were some great miles. Here's my initial thoughts of the bike. The new frame design on the 09s is a significant improvement over the older style frame. I have owned an 04 Electra Glide and an 03 Road King and this one definitely handles better than those two. The 96 inch and 6 speed are also a nice upgrade. Cruise control is awesome, I never had cruise on a bike before and I am gonna like it on those long highway rides. The stock bars are surprisingly comfortable, unlike the 03 RK which I had to swap bars with a Heritage Softail. There are a few things I will change like the stock seat. It's somewhat comfortable but not as supportive as I would like and the rear section is not going to cut it for the wife. The previous owner was a short guy so he lowered the bike in the front and rear which looks cool but I hit 2 bumps yesterday that bottomed out the rear suspension. Fortunately he gave me the stock shocks and fork springs so I can always go back to stock height if I want to, which I probably will. He also has the highway pegs angled in too far and my right foot keeps hitting the mount every time I go for the rear brakes so I will be adjusting that today. There are also some chrome doo dads he put on that I just don't care for that I will likely pull off when I get some time.
Overall this is a great bike and with a little tweaking and wrenching It's gonna be and awesome bike. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, it's the best I got.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Road King Classic- first ride-road-king.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 05:55 AM
toocruisin'
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beauty; good luck and ride safe!

Old 04-19-2016, 06:01 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Glad to hear you have mended and can ride. This is the best time of year to be fully healed and ready to ride. Back in 04 I had surgery in May to reattach my pec tendon to my shoulder...I did not ride all summer. You are in a much better place than I was. Ride the crap out of it!

Old 04-19-2016, 06:04 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks good, nice score. I sympathize with you, having had rotator cuff surgery last June and missing most of last years riding season.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:26 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Had 3 left shoulder surgeries way back in 2011 and 2012. Missed 2 years of riding. Was depressed looking at others smile and ride. Get well, Friend and enjoy that beautiful RKC. Always liked that color. Adding your choice of bling is fun as I remember doing it to my '09 Ultra which maxed out to my taste, LOL.

Thorey

Old 04-19-2016, 06:52 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

Thanks guys, I hate to hear about you guys missing out on riding. I actually timed it so I would be healed up in time for riding season. I tore two tendons in the right elbow back in September of 2015. Tried to tough it out (more like stubborn) but it kept getting worse until I figured I might as well get it taken care of. Glad I did it when I did, now I got time to enjoy my new ride...

Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Glad you guys are finally out of your winter and enjoying some summer weather.

Very nice King and love that color. Ride safe!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:08 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Until HD makes aces, the 'King is top of the line!
Make that bike fit you, and I'll bet you will enjoy it more.
Sharp scoot, best wishes for continued healing, and ride safe!

Old 04-20-2016, 02:59 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Wrecked a dirt bike in 12, missed riding my road king for 1 month( flailed chest, metal plates added to 3 ribs for support). I have ridden every month since then! Love the road king classic styling!

Old 04-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Beautiful bike! I too missed some riding with health issues.
Feels so awesome to be back and riding. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: 2009 Road King Classic- first ride