Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true dual or not true dual

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:22 PM
murph3204
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true dual or not true dual

Stopped by the dealer the other day for an inspection sticker and asked the service writer if I went to true duals would it effect my warranty. He said that HD doesn't approve of true dual conversions and would thus void my warranty ... if they were to find out. They, as the dealer though, would still honor my factory warranty if I installed a true dual set up. He DID however say that going to true duals isn't good for the engine and would eventually have an adverse effect on how many miles I would be able to log on my bike.

I have been reading about the true dual conversion for many months and am about to pull the trigger and now this. I'm sure this has been hashed out over and over on this forum but it just gets me that now after hearing this I'm not sure if I should do it. On the other hand, up until now, I was convinced that it would solve my heat problem (which itself HAS to adversly affect the life of the engine) plus create a better sound too. He mentioned that performance would suffer but tended to waffle on that a bit when I mentioned that I would be installing a PCIII or similar device.

SIGH

[IMG]local://upfiles/14791/3517D0775F1B461FB3940239EA0783A8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Alamo
Advanced
Default RE: true dual or not true dual

That's the biggest bunch of crap that I have ever heardin my life. Pull the trigger on the true duals or look at a 2:1 pipe.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser

Just picked up my Road Glide from the indy. Reinhard TD's, Big sucker, PCIII, Dyno. Cooler, faster and awesomer (?). Tell him to put it in writing and check this out. http://www.dynosources.com/dept.asp?d_id=203&l1=203
Be aware of all the facts and then of course make your decision. I went for the TD's.
Fred

Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the full sac and I was expecting a power loss. If I have one, I can't tell the difference.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:40 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, look for a new dealer after you get the exhaust that you want

Old 05-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

True duals creating a problem? The biggest line of crap he could have tld you. It is no different than any other Harley rider regardless of the model that replace the stock exhaust with different pipes. If they aren't a two into one pipe than they are a two into two with just a few exceptions. Most of your soft tail riders or sportster riders are running a two into two set up without any problems. Find another source for info.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Bill918
Road Captain

Go back to your F%$*ng dealer and ask if they honor warranties on their Softails, Dynas, and Sporty's, because they ALL come with true duals from the factory! He really tried to feed you a load of crap. As long as you are maintaining enough back pressure so as not to adversely effect the valves, the engine should run forever, in other words, use baffles. I switched to true duals to get rid of the heat issue and am glad I did. Much easier on the right thigh, especially with my narrower Mustang seat. I would go for it. If the dealer does not honor the warranty he better be able to show that the mod directly was responsible for the failure.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:07 AM
07street
Tourer

True Duals are the only way to ride

Old 05-19-2007, 12:39 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I tried true duals with the Stage I setup. Didn't like the sound of the exhaust. Went right back to stock, noticed a slight improvement in revving through the gears. Heat issue? Kuryakin lexan heat shields seem to have solved that problem for about $50. And it gets hot around here. Been in the high 90's for two weeks now.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Barebackjack
Road Captain

Tell your dealer he is full of horse $hit.If that were true, everbody that ever changed an exhaust would void their warranty.

Quick Reply: true dual or not true dual