Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 06:01 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Oil cooler question

I installed an oil temp gauge last week and went for my first long ride today. The trip was about 300 miles and it was about 90-95 out today. My oil temps were sitting between 260-290 average. My question is how much will an oil cooler actually drop the oil temps? I was thinking about buying an ultracool cooler and after seeing these temps today it confirmed that I need to do something in a hurry!

Old 05-28-2016, 06:32 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Generally the only time there is a problem with the oil running too hot is once an oil temperature gauge is installed.

The following 3 users liked this post by DCLXVI:
jammerx (09-24-2016), massparanoia (05-28-2016), shorelasHD (05-31-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 06:43 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

If it don't have a cooler get one u will not regret it. Love mine great oil pressure all the time what's not to like. Also installed the wards fans not sure which I like more. My fans on the ultra cooler have yet to kick on, haven't seen 90 here yet and not stuck in slow traffic. Believe the fans for ultra kick on at 195°f just having the cooler with the wind is keeping temps down. I dont have a temp gage but could tell this hog gets way to hot, by the sound & the way it shifted last year in the 90s. Keep getting told that my 88 don't need one but the motor sounds great in these high temps the last few days.

Last edited by xcbullet; 05-28-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:05 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,594 Likes on 5,167 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
Generally the only time there is a problem with the oil running too hot is once an oil temperature gauge is installed.
Right on the money. Ditch the gauge and ride. No amount of cooling the oil will make you HD run any cooler. The heat is in the heads, not enough oil flows to the heads to do anything other than lube . You have a Big Vtwin air cooled engine, the oil will get hot and on a really hot day even hotter. Want to crap your pants monitor your head temps when your oil is that hot they can run as high as 360 on a 110 degree day in traffic.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:13 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Shoulda never installed that temp gauge, once you do, you'll obsess over it needlessly, as you have already begun to do.

Last edited by Keithhu; 05-28-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:15 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by kylebryan
I installed an oil temp gauge last week and went for my first long ride today. The trip was about 300 miles and it was about 90-95 out today. My oil temps were sitting between 260-290 average. My question is how much will an oil cooler actually drop the oil temps? I was thinking about buying an ultracool cooler and after seeing these temps today it confirmed that I need to do something in a hurry!
============================================

What ever you do " dont buy an oil cooler without elec cooling fans " !

What would i say that ,well thats because when oil an oil cooler is needed most like when sitting in traffic at stoplights & or when at slow road speeds where it's it basically useless due to lack of airflow thru the cooler.

And oil coolers without elec cooling fans dont work up to 100% efficiently until your up faster road speeds like approx 50mph + and then it takes quite a while to cool the oil/motor back down after being in traffic for a few mins that raises oil/engine temp quite a lot without the 2 cooling mods i installed on my bike.

I have had the untracool oil cooler with twin thermostatically controlled cooling fans along with wards twin cooling fans (cools heads/plugs/upper cyl's) on my bike for the 2nd season now and collectively together they are great at cooling the oil & motor on my 09 flhtcu w-96" motor.

Just today i rode approx 170miles in 94-95 deg F HHH summer heat with approx 80-85% being riding on local country roads 2 approx 50-60mph in 5th gear & the other 20% riding was @ stoplights & or in slow moving traffic.

In those cond without oil cooler & wards cooling fans oil temp on my bike would approx 245-250deg f @ cruise then would rise to approx 170-190deg f range in avg moderate traffic,not a traffic jam that can increase oil temp to as high as 300+ deg.

Well i rode for approx 3.5 hrs in todays 94-95deg f HHH summer heat including in avg moderate traffic at some stoplight and slower moving traffic oil temp never went past 225deg f in traffic @ was stable at 185-190deg f @ cruise in that heat.

Last summer i got stuck in a traffic jam due to an accident in 98deg f HHH heat where we would sit stil for approx 1-2mins max then move in 1st gear for 100-200' then stop for 1-2 mins again for approx 50-55mins and with the 2 cooling mods in installed oil temp maxed at 235deg f (never hit 240 deg f) while sitting still or barley moving in 1st gear only at times for 50-55mins in 98 deg f HHH heat until i could get off an exit to find alt route.

The Ultracool oil cooler with elec cooling fans along with wards cooling fans do a great job cooling air cooled hd's.

Below i listed all the improvements in engine perf and overall riding comfort i got right of the bat after i installed
the 2 cooling systems both at the same time.

Note:you must install both the same cooling systems i did to get same approx results i am posting here ,if you dont you will
not get same reduction in oil temp along with all the improvements i stated below my bike got.

* REDUCED OIL TEMP 50DEG F IN SUMMER HEAT.

* VALVTRAIN / LIFTERS STAY MUCH QUIETER WHEN IN SUMMER HEAT.

* MAINTAINS MUCH BETTER OIL PRESSURE IN SUMMER HEAT,PRIOR TO INSTALL THE 2 COOLING MOTOR HAD 8PSI @ IDLE & 32-35PSI @ CRUISE. POST INSTALLING THE 2 COOLING MODS THAT REDUCED OIL TEMP 50DEG F OIL PRESSURE IN SUMMER HEAT @ IDLE IS 18+PSI & 45-47PSI @ CRUISE,THATS HUGE IMPROVEMENT THERE TOO!

* MOTOR STOPPED DETONATING.

* MOTOR/OIL/INTAKE/FUEL RUNNING MUCH COOLER ALLOWS THE MOTOR TO RETAIN MOST OF THE PWR/TRQ IT USED TO LOOSE WHEN OIL WAS RUNNING 50 DEG HOTTER IN SUMMER HEAT PRIOR TO INSTALLING THE 2 COOLING MODS.

* MOTOR RUNNING COOLER MEANS LESS HEAT IS HITTING THE RIDER/S SO WHICH IMPROVED RIDING COMFORT ESP IN SUMMER HEAT.

* MOTOR HOT STARTS EASIER/FASTER (ESP IN SUMMER HEAT) LIKE FOR EXAMPLE POST FUELING UP BECAUSE THE MOTOR/STARTER/BATTERY ARENT AS HEAT SOAKED ANYMORE.

Bottom line is reducing oil temp 50deg f in summer heat in my air cooled HD has " greatly improved the overall riding experience on many levels on my HD (esp in summer heat!) " due to not hearing valve or lifter noise anymore /much improved oil pressure by 10-12psi & not seeing it fall into the gutter anymore on hot days/not hearing detonation anymore/less heat from motor hitting me so more comfy to ride in summer heat /motor now retains most of its pwr/trq so is more fun to ride/motor starts faster & easier in summer hear!

Either way it's a fact that air cooled HD's suffer in summer heat thats at the root of multiple engine perf issues & degradation of rider comfort too for all reasons i already stated above that are now gone /a thing of the past on my bike post reducing oil temp 50deg f in summer heat.

Happy motoring.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 05-28-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:05 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Shoulda never installed that temp gauge, once you do, you'll obsess over it needlessly, as you have already begun to do.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:23 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
=======================

This is just another example of someone posting something they know nothing about BECAUSE THEY IN FACT NEVER TRIED cooling their air cooled large disp twin cam hd.

Its obvious they cant tell their air cooled HD's motor is suffering big time & roasting in summer heat with oil pressure falling into the gutter,valves noisier, motor looses significant pwr/trq,likely detonates too,starts a bit slower/harder post fueling up,motor is searing them with heat coming of it all of which is a thing of the past on my HD due to the 2 cooling mods i installed.

But if they like all that in summer heat with their air cooled tc hd motors more power to them for taking it like a man!/LOL!!!

The main reason i installed the 2 cooling mods was due to the perf losses i stated above and not mainly because of oil temp i was seeing which was secondary to what i was experiencing 1st hand with the HD motor showing it was suffering big time in summer heat loosing sig perf & roasting me in the process & wasn't just because of the oil temp i was seeing which was secondary.

I was much more concerned with the poor engine perf in summer heat which was motor loosing significant amount of power/trq, motor was detonating, there was increased valve & lifter noise, oil pressure went much lower ,excessive heat was roasting me off the bike,etc which is what all larger displacement air cooled twin cam HD's motors experience in summer heat without cooling help like i installed & rec.

And its funny how many guys post thats not the case they post heat isnt an issue till you get an oil temp gauge & have never tried the 2 cooling mods i did & rec.

I dont go by BS ,i go by results & facts and the fact is they are completely off the mark/incorrect when it comes to the affects of summer heat on a large disp are cooled twin cam HD motor making it seem as though it doesn't exist when it does if you know what your motors doing and how diff it performs in 70-75 deg f vs how it performs in 95-100deg f which is a diff animal.

The improvements my bike got post installing the 2 cooling mods backs up what i say.

Happy motoring.

Scot

Last edited by wscott; 05-28-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:24 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Thumbs up Oil coolers and Wards cooling Fans

Originally Posted by kylebryan
Oil cooler and Wards cooling Fans ....
check out this link ...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...l#post15138412

2014 S/G ....Black with Black screens

Old 05-28-2016, 09:04 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
=======================

This is just another example of someone posting something they know nothing about .

Thats because its obvious they cant tell their air cooled HD's motor is suffering big time & roasting in summer heat with oil pressure falling into the gutter,valves noisier, motor looses significant pwr/trq,likely detonates too,starts a bit slower/harder post fueling up,motor is searing them with heat coming of it all of which is a thing of the past on my HD.

Happy motoring.

Scott
Have you ever seen someone post "I live in Arizona, after 50K miles in the hot desert heat, my motor just burned up. All done. Time to get a new one"?

Quick Reply: Oil cooler question