Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping Noise on 89 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:43 AM
jkellyg78@gmail.com
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping Noise on 89 Ultra Classic

Hey guys,

First time HD forum user. Happy to be here.

I've got a question, and I've searched on this for like a month, but I cant quite find the exact same problem.

I have an 89 Ultra Classic, and its in really good shape for its age. It does however have a Chirping/Squeaking noise coming from the front that is driving me nuts. Its really hard to pinpoint; so I'm hoping to get some direction on here.

The noise seems to be more from the left front as far as I can tell. It seems that the warmer the bike gets, the louder the noise gets. In town, if I let of the throttle; the noise seems to go away. On the freeway going 75 I noticed when I pull in the clutch and totally let off the throttle, the noise reduces, but doesn't go away completely. Also the longer I was riding on the freeway, the noise seemed to gradually get louder...

I'm at a loss as to what it is, and I don't want to spend a fortune have the HD dealer look at it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited by jkellyg78@gmail.com; 05-31-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:55 AM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've seen quite a few front belt pulleys do this exact thing. Many have found that it's best to replace belt and sometimes rear pulley at the same time as well, if that's what it is. I've done just the front pulley, but the belt popped shortly after.

Head

The following users liked this post:
jkellyg78@gmail.com (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 10:01 AM
jkellyg78@gmail.com
Stage III

That makes sense! Sound like a good off season project :-).... I just want to make sure its not something that's putting my life in danger or anything like that at freeway speeds... Thanks!

Old 05-31-2016, 11:45 AM
breeze3215
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike also had a chirping noise coming from the front cylinder area and it turned out to be a bad roller on the lifter.Not sure if that's you problem,but something to look at.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:14 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

had a chirp. didn't know where it came from, but up front. nope mine was the rubber bushings in the muffler hanger on the rear. put alittle lubricant in there. if it stops great. if it doesnt nothing lost.
good luck. kroozeabout.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:20 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by t. sawyer
had a chirp. didn't know where it came from, but up front. nope mine was the rubber bushings in the muffler hanger on the rear. put alittle lubricant in there. if it stops great. if it doesnt nothing lost.
good luck. kroozeabout.

Exactly, a little wd 40 will help that. If that is the problem you may buy the new rubbers from HD for just a few $.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:15 PM
jp1994
Intermediate
Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts

Broken fairing support(s)?

Old 05-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

If your bike has a Belt Drive . . . take a bar of soap and rub it along the entire length of both edges of the Drive Belt. A lite coating is all that is required. If the noise goes away (at least until you wash the bike), the Drive Belt tension is incorrect. Be sure to use the correct tools to align the rear wheel and set the Drive Belt tension. Lot's of bikes can be eye-balled and the use of street legend methods often work . . . . on most bikes . . . . but . . . . the operative word is "most." There is a reason Harley uses the $25.00 Tension Gauge that they show in the Shop Manual. Ask me how I know. Also trying to figure out where the sound is coming from can be difficult. At different times and under different operating conditions mine sounded like it was coming from all sorts of directions.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 AM
jkellyg78@gmail.com
Stage III

Thanks Blue Highways.

I will have to try that. It does sound viable, seeing that in the morning it takes a few miles to start making that noise. I can imagine that as the belt warms up, it could stretch a little causing the noise...

Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Are you sure it's not 17 year cicada?

We rode on Monday 2 hrs South into West Virginia. I could here them over the engine AND radio. Ha ha!

I have a chirp on my 12 RG. I'll have to try some of the suggestions here too.

Quick Reply: Chirping Noise on 89 Ultra Classic