Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   That pesky chirp sound... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/112070-that-pesky-chirp-sound.html)

mikeyflhti 05-19-2007 11:34 PM

That pesky chirp sound...

This has been talked about alot but today I noticed something that I really didn't pay attention to before. We were on a ride in southern Ohio and there were sections of the road, which was blacktop, that had been repaired with concrete strips. These strips were about 2' wide and went across the road. The strips were every 75 feet or so. When crossing the concrete, I hear the chirp. On blacktop, no chirp. Since there were about 15 of these concrete road repairs, the chirp would come and go, but could only be heard when I crossed the concrete. I also noticed the chirp when crossing concrete bridges.

Any ideas? Doesn't make sense to me...:eek:

Softtail Bob 05-19-2007 11:59 PM

RE: That pesky chirp sound...

Normally the chirp sound will come when you let off the throttle quickly, which is usually a final drive belt that is to loose. If you are holding the throttle steady and the belt is not to loose then I would have to guess the neck bearings may need to be tightened.

mikeyflhti 05-20-2007 12:06 AM

The sound seems to come from the back of the bike, not the front. If I turn my head so I can hear behind the bike I notice it more.

Softtail Bob 05-20-2007 12:23 AM

Then maybe it is the belt. Reach under the bike and see how loose the belt is. If it's loose the adjust it with the adjuster nuts on each side or the rear axle. Just turn each side the same amount of turns.

Rollon 05-20-2007 12:47 AM

MY 95 UC would do the chirp when it rained. Under normal conditions no chirp, but a little water and the chipmunk would appear.

electaRICK 05-20-2007 12:51 AM

belt can also get "Dry",,, I spray my Dyna about 2 x a summer with silacone

PapaTravis 05-20-2007 08:50 AM

I haven't tried to adjust the belt, but I thought the newer HD have an adjustment on one side and it will maintain to correct alignment by just turning that one side, and the other has no adjusting nut. Am I wrong on this? Thought I may have read something about this just the other night on here?

Fireman44 05-20-2007 11:38 AM

The adjuster is a cam washer on each side ofthe axel bolt, when you turn the bolt both sides move

Potato_Potato 05-20-2007 01:38 PM

The rubber bushings on the rear slip on mounts can chirp or squeak.

stoker62 05-20-2007 05:44 PM

funny but when I'm on grooved concrete the exhaust noise turns to a high piched note like a chirp or like an old VW