Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King is going to cost me some $

Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 PM
CZshooter
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Road King is going to cost me some $

My starter drive was crapping out on my 2002 Road King, and I had some oil leaking from behind the Primary. I also had to get state inspection done, so while I was getting the inspection done, I talked to my Indy (great tech) about the leak and starter.

I was figuring on doing the starter myself, but after talking to him, he said that I would have to take the Primary cover off for the starter anyway, so I decided to have him do the job.

"Better come over, got some bad news"...He had the primary case off, looking at the input shaft of the transmission, and front drive belt sprocket. The inner race on the transmission input shaft pn 34091-85, was pushed hard into the shaft seal pn 12035B.

He showed me the special tool that is normally used to remove the race, and from the looks of the tool, there should be about an 1/8" gap between the seal and bearing race...it looks like it had slid in about 3/16" to 1/4". He said "I've definitely seen worse, but its getting deeper than we originally talked, which is why I wanted you to take a look. Until I cut the race off, I'm not sure how much deeper I'll have to go."

I said "Hey, its not your fault, and not much you can do other than fix it right. Its a machine, stuff happens. Keep me informed."

I'm hoping that its not "that bad"...we'll see. With my luck, I'm expecting the worst. 75,000 miles, things happen.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put the Baker bearing kit in and never have the problem again.

http://crustyoldsite.bakerdrivetrain...ue-bearing-kit

Last edited by Tinman265; 06-13-2016 at 10:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
soflafltri06 (06-30-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 09:57 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 259 Likes on 221 Posts

Baker has a vidio that shows how to get the race off with out cutting it. At least I think it was them, I looked at so many videos when I did my trans. It happens to alot of bikes, I was lucky and mine had not walked in. I now have the upgrade bearing.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The consolation is that your bike will be in tip-top shape, once back on the road! Let's hope it doesn't prove too expensive.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:33 AM
CZshooter
Cruiser

The Indy was able to cut the race off without further damage, and fortunately didn't damage anything beyond the seal. New seal and race and I'm back in business.

I looked at the Baker instructions and they say to not cut the bearing race, but from the looks of it, there isn't another option, as their tool needs a gap to get behind and pull the race also. I'll put the Baker bearing on the wish list and install the next time I'm in there.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:13 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 259 Likes on 221 Posts

Pretty quick turnaround on the work, sounds like you have a good Indy.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:25 PM
CZshooter
Cruiser

Real good guy. He used to work at the local (1 hour away) MoCo dealer for 10 years, and got tired of the commute and dealer politics, so he starred a shop with another guy. He don't like a lot of aftermarket parts.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:58 PM
CZshooter
Cruiser

Double-tap

Old 06-14-2016, 01:16 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Are going to do any other work, or just fix the oil leaks and state inspection ?
If it is in the shop you may want to check out normal wear items, like your Cam chain followers.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

I had the transmission input shaft seal (and cam chain tensioners) replaced on my '06 ultra at 44k miles. The indy I used had +30 years experience working on HD. You don't find this at most dealers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road King is going to cost me some $