Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rushmore Street Glide + Long Ride Shield = buffeting??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:51 PM
WoodButcher66
Club Member
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rushmore Street Glide + Long Ride Shield = buffeting??

I ride a 2015 Street Glide. Recently I purchased and installed a 7” Long Ride Shield Ultra windshield. A few days after installing the windshield I realized the buffeting on my bike had increased. At least it seems that it did to me. I purchased and installed a set of Kuryakyn fairing air deflectors think this would help some. After riding for an hour or so today I don’t believe the air deflectors have helped much of any.
The buffeting or turbulence is rattling my glasses some, I can deal with that. But it is causing me pain in my ears. It seems the more I ride the worse the pain gets.

Has anyone else seen this type of turbulence with this combination? Did you get it corrected? What did you do to correct it? I am thinking about putting the original windshield back on the bike. But I’m not sure that would help any. I had a Klock Werks Flare, a 6.5” and an 8.5”. Neither of those worked for me.

The dealership suggested a Wind splitter windshield. Anyone used one of these? Like it?

I'm 5'10" and riding on a stock seat.

Any help or advice y’all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Kevin

Last edited by WoodButcher66; 07-08-2016 at 10:00 PM. Reason: answered question
Old 07-08-2016, 09:26 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

How tall are you? You may have to go taller on the shield

Old 07-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Iron25
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I wanted a little more wind protection for the long highway rides. Bought a 7" wind splitter. It was 100% worse. It directed all the wind directly at my eyes and forehead. It wanted to blow my glasses off at anything faster than 65mph. Went with a Klock Werks 8.5" flare. Seems to solve all my buffeting issues. I'm 5'10" riding a 2015 SGS with the stock seat

Old 07-08-2016, 10:01 PM
WoodButcher66
Club Member

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
how tall are you? You may have to go taller on the shield
5'10"

Old 07-08-2016, 10:04 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by WoodButcher66
5'10"
IMHO You should be looking for at least 8 in shield. I am 5'5" and use the same shield as you and it is perfect with the deflectors

Old 07-08-2016, 10:16 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree that you probably could use the 8 inch shield. I am 5'10 and have a 7 inch LRS shield. I'm very short in the torso, so I can use it, but it's not optimal. I bought a 9 inch shield and the buffeting is minimal up to about 80mph, but I only see over it if I sit up straight, so I'm going to the 8 in. Luckily they price these shields so cheap that you can buy more than 1 and not feel bad about it. Go an inch taller, but don't take the plastic wrapping off of it. That way you can try it and they will exchange it if you need to go even taller.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 PM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If you want the 10in HD windsplitter smoke colored let me know. I have one and it's just sitting in my garage. I'm 6'1" and found the 9" Freedom shield to work excellent. I run the Freedom 8" shield in warm weather, which allows more wind yet very minor wind turbulence, or buffeting. The HD windsplitter is nice, but I'd say they claim 10" which seemed short compared to the Freedom 9". Perhaps the Freedom shield runs tall, I dunno, but it works for me.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:13 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm 6', same seat on your same bike. Used the 8" for a few months then last week installed their 10". A lot better, as good as it's going to get I'm afraid. Air is deflected well over top of helmet, but still buffeting from the side edges of windshield. Not a big deal. Have also tried the short Windsplitter and the next size up. Useless. Have yet to try the 10" Windsplitter. They look a lot cooler than the LRS Ultras.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:13 AM
WoodButcher66
Club Member

Originally Posted by smalls78
If you want the 10in HD windsplitter smoke colored let me know. I have one and it's just sitting in my garage. I'm 6'1" and found the 9" Freedom shield to work excellent. I run the Freedom 8" shield in warm weather, which allows more wind yet very minor wind turbulence, or buffeting. The HD windsplitter is nice, but I'd say they claim 10" which seemed short compared to the Freedom 9". Perhaps the Freedom shield runs tall, I dunno, but it works for me.
I sent you a PM. I could be interested

Old 07-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 850 Likes on 412 Posts

I have a really dandy 9" windsplitter on sale on ebay right now. I'm 5'9", and it really worked well for me; I just hated the distortion around the edges.
I can't figure out why you're having so much trouble with the buffeting. I have an '11 Street Glide, and with the windsplitter mentioned above, the very short, dark windsplitter, or the LRS 9" with re-curve, I've not had much problem with buffeting, and I wear only a cap when riding. I do always have the fairing wings attached. Chrome fork lowers will quiet things down even more, but they make things a little warm this time of year.

Quick Reply: Rushmore Street Glide + Long Ride Shield = buffeting??