Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel removal with ABS tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rear wheel removal with ABS tips?

Searched for an How-To in this forum but no luck. Any videos you recommend?

I scored a nice set of takeoff black ice Agitator wheels and want to put them on. I've done the front wheel before, no issues.

But the rear wheel is a bit more complex. I have the service manual, the torque specs written down and I guess I have to buy a new E-clip? I bought new bolts for the rear rotor (rear rotor and pulley are being swapped to the new wheel).

Harley has a axle nut adaptor but do I really need it? I don't understand their illustration of using it along WITH a torque wrench. The adaptor looks like a wrench and not a socket.

Any tips or links beyond the service manual would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

I just Googled "removing rear wheel on a harley" and came up with a bunch of videos.
I havent watched them to see which one is better but at least it is a start for you.
I just follow the service manual and got the specialty tools from George's garage or Jimsusa.com

Old 07-14-2016, 08:51 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts
Old 07-14-2016, 09:08 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

No, you don't need the adapter. It is used if you don't want to remove the slip on exhausts. Removing the slip ons will make access simple.

A bike lift will also make you life easier getting the wheel back in as you can raise and lower the bike into position.

One think to watch is that you don't drag or strecth the abs sensor cable around when tightening up the axle nut.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:02 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishHogtrotter
No, you don't need the adapter. It is used if you don't want to remove the slip on exhausts. Removing the slip ons will make access simple..
Agreed. I bought the "adapter" wrench that is supposed to allow you to remove the wheel without removing the slip-on. It is more hassle using the wrench than it is to remove the slip-on.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:16 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys. I used the LAB front wheel video as well.

Does anyone else find the service manual and individual how-to sheets with accessories are sometimes missing steps or explain things a bit out of order?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:50 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Thanks guys. I used the LAB front wheel video as well.

Does anyone else find the service manual and individual how-to sheets with accessories are sometimes missing steps or explain things a bit out of order?
Harley does that on purpose so they think most owners will get disgusted and let the dealer do it. It's especially true for their accessory instructions.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by YPD485
Harley does that on purpose so they think most owners will get disgusted and let the dealer do it. It's especially true for their accessory instructions.
+1 I have yet to find any HD instructions for anything be written where someone can follow the directions and accomplish the task. But that is also true for Kuryakyn and others.
Me thinks a Chinaman has written them all. Is that because he made all the parts in the first place?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:56 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

The best "tip" that I can give is grab a bottle of the old lady's nail polish. And before you loosen the axel, mark them where the adjusters currently are. Great point of reference for when you reinstall. Of course, use the guage on the belt guard, but its probably gonna wind up back exactly where it came off.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:03 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Look and think about what you're doing, take it apart slowly and keep your fasteners together, take pics if necessary, refer to the manual if/when necessary. Assembly in the reverse. Main thing is....take your time and think about what you're doing.

This advise has served me in a lifetime of mechanical work. I just replaced the tires on my 14 SGS. I do like the cam type belt tensioner. Much better. Never opened my manual.

The following users liked this post:
Deuuuce (07-17-2016)

Quick Reply: Rear wheel removal with ABS tips?