Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scosche - Review and Limitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:14 AM
RufusT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scosche - Review and Limitation

Hello Everyone!

I did some searching, but didn't really find anything, so I thought I would share my experience with the Schosche aftermarket stereo wiring harness and install kit and it's limitation for anyone with more than 2 speakers.

The install kit is solid and fit perfectly. It made mounting an aftermarket head unit into my 2002 Ultra Classic simple. The material is good quality and I had no concerns with it once it was installed - it is solid.

The wiring harness that is sold to allow for your factory handlebar switches was also one of the easiest installations I have ever done. However, there is a limitation to this harness - it does not include wiring for rear speakers, if your bike is equipped with them (as mine is). The only option I have been provided was to wire all of my speakers directly to the aftermarket head unit (by cutting into the wiring harness and using connectors), or choose a different adapter to keep the switches.

I looks like I will probably be getting a different adapter, as I would rather not cut the wiring harness on the bike. So, if anyone has a need for an install kit and the wiring harness (for a bike with only the fairing speakers), I would be willing to sell both together for $65, plus shipping.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:59 PM
RufusT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While discussing this limitation with a friend, he recommended that, instead of replacing what I have, using it in tandem with a compact amp. If I understand his thought, I should run speakers off of the amp, so all that would run through the rest of the setup is the hand controls. I will update once I have secured the hardware to try this..

Old 08-01-2016, 09:58 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Not quite sure this is going to help you out since you still need access to your rear speaker wires. You'd still have to connect them to the amp or run new wires to your speakers.

You don't have to cut the wire harness, all you need to do is open the connector and pull the 4 rear speaker wires out. Then either cut the pins off or try and use as is and wire to your radio or amp.

Another option is to buy something like the Hawg Wired WHK35 which is a rear speaker break out connector. You just plug this into your existing harness and you get 4 speaker wire outputs.

Last edited by uscanuck; 08-01-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:13 AM
Kerr8005
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd just run a small 4 channel amp. Most people do, then run new wires to your speakers. I don't his earlier this year, best thing I could have done to the bike. Stereo sounds great.