Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Electra Glide Sport

Old 08-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Big Panda
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1991 Electra Glide Sport

Hey everybody,
I basically want to know if a 1991 FLHS is the same as an Electra Glide Sport. I have my eye on a 91 Electra Glide Sport but want to know a little more about them before I buy them. Any common mechanical problems, funky quirks etc. Any input you guys have would be much appreciated. I have also read about adding the batwing fairing to the front since the one I am looking at has only a windshield. I love the batwing fairings so may be looking more into that.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 PM
yiride
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

That is the exact same bike. FLHS is Harley Model. E-Glide Sport is the street name which hardly anyone uses.The bike is as close to bulletproof as the factory ever made. I had a 1988 for 15 years. Look for inner cam bearing,should have been fixed by now.Getting rid of that bike was one of the dumber things I have done.Fairing can be mounted reasonably easy,may have to fabricate some brackets but that is about all. A fairing will hide most of the ugly dash but the windshield is all I ever used.

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (06-26-2020)
Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

yes FLHS is EG sport.

some owners convert to a tank mounted speedo, headlight nacelle- it is a big wiring project---HD followed this trend and "created" the roadking

there is a section of the forums for Evo motor bikes.

good guys there who can help you

the 91 may have a porous left side motor case- some of these were replaced under warranty- if it is ok now, it'll be ok.
rubber stuff will need fixin' probably the motor mounts and the swing arm mounts

Mike

Old 08-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Big Panda
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the 91 may have a porous left side motor case- some of these were replaced under warranty- if it is ok now, it'll be ok.
rubber stuff will need fixin' probably the motor mounts and the swing arm mounts

Mike
What are things to look for on this motor case to see if it was replaced? The current owner is the original owners son who just wants to sell it so he may not know if the bearings or motor case have been replaced. The bike only has 6k miles, yes, only 6k miles. Thats why Im so interested and anxious to snag it. It still had routine fluid changes and such just was hardly ridden. Has new tires. Always garaged etc.

The following users liked this post:
Bigtwinbuilder (03-21-2020)
Old 08-04-2016, 09:17 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

if replaced under warranty HD stamped original engine numbers- but may ( may) have added stars.

Mike

Old 08-04-2016, 09:24 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Ugliest instrument cluster ever used by HD. Looks like they borrowed it from a lumina. Solid bike though. Cam chain tensioners and ride it. I rebuilt one for my buddy and switched it to a tank mounted speedo. With that low of miles I would be worried about all the rubber parts being dried out. Tires engine seals, swing arm and engine mounts. If it's been properly maintained forget the last sentence.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The instrument cluster was the same as used on the Tour Glides of that period, I believe.

Granted, it's not the most attractive design HD ever put on a bike, BUT -- if all the gauges work ok, I'd leave it alone and learn to like it.

The FLHS isn't quite the same as the Road King insofar as mounting windshield and fairing are concerned. I'm not sure if parts for the RK are interchangeable -- other folks may be able to answer that. I do recall that back then, HD offered a bolt-on fairing for the FLHS. No radio or anything -- just a shell.

Perhaps the aftermarket fairing companies have a design that will fit.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:50 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

You might want to check these bikes out. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...699877786.html

If this is your first bike, I would look at lighter bikes than the touring line. What's your budget?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:56 PM
Big Panda
Advanced

This will be my third bike. I had a 2005 Yamaha Vstar 1100, sold it, and currently have a 2004 Honda VFR800 Interceptor. I want a touring bike my wife is comfortable on. The VFR is my commuter and canyon bike. My budget is about $4,000 which for a used harley is pretty much impossible. this bike I have my eye on is the first one that I have found. Been looking at early 90s goldwings till I found this one.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5713094501.html

The bike you linked is nice but a little too much. Plus it is going to be for my wife and I and I want to buy something turn key that doesn't need to have bags or a trunk bought and added on. I want to be able to buy it and ride to mexico (metaphorically)

Old 08-05-2016, 01:54 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Panda
This will be my third bike. I had a 2005 Yamaha Vstar 1100, sold it, and currently have a 2004 Honda VFR800 Interceptor. I want a touring bike my wife is comfortable on. The VFR is my commuter and canyon bike. My budget is about $4,000 which for a used harley is pretty much impossible. this bike I have my eye on is the first one that I have found. Been looking at early 90s goldwings till I found this one.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5713094501.html

The bike you linked is nice but a little too much. Plus it is going to be for my wife and I and I want to buy something turn key that doesn't need to have bags or a trunk bought and added on. I want to be able to buy it and ride to mexico (metaphorically)
This is a bad idea. Harley's require maintenance. You're not going to find a turnkey touring Harley for $4,000. You can save a lot of money if you know how to wrench yourself. If you don't know how, you will incur costs learning and making mistakes, or have to pay a dealer or Indy.
Do you know any experienced Harley mechanics that will check the '91 for you? That is a nice bike. Maybe some HDF members could check it with you? It probably has some leaky gaskets and seals.

Last edited by Ron750; 08-05-2016 at 01:58 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Electra Glide Sport