Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full SG suspension upgrade: complete

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 03:10 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Full SG suspension upgrade: complete

As the title says, front and rear have been upgraded. Supershox on the rear, and Legend Axeo monotubes in the forks.

I installed the Supershox first, and went out in search of all the bumps I could find. The Supershox made a really tangible difference, soaking up bumps much better than the factory air-adjustable ones ever did. They're easily adjustable, and I am currently at 1.5 turns on the adjustment collars... Might go all the way up to setting 2 for solo riding, with lots of preload left on the table for 2-up and heavy touring. So, big improvement there.

Then I went ahead and removed the forks and installed the Legend Axeo monotubes. Per their recommendation, for my weight and type of riding, I left them set at the factory "zero turns" setting. Took my first ride with them yesterday, and am very impressed! R/R tracks, bridge joints, potholes- the front suspension now just soaks these things up and asks for more. The Axeos are expensive, but very much worth it IMO.

I think this combo of the Legend front end and the Supershox in the rear is a real winner. The bike is safer, more comfortable, more capable and more predictable on less-than-perfect road surfaces.

If anyone has any questions about Supershox or the Legend Axeo monotubes, please let me know

Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Harley needs to step up the suspension

Old 08-27-2016, 06:25 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7garage
As the title says, front and rear have been upgraded. Supershox on the rear, and Legend Axeo monotubes in the forks.

I installed the Supershox first, and went out in search of all the bumps I could find. The Supershox made a really tangible difference, soaking up bumps much better than the factory air-adjustable ones ever did. They're easily adjustable, and I am currently at 1.5 turns on the adjustment collars... Might go all the way up to setting 2 for solo riding, with lots of preload left on the table for 2-up and heavy touring. So, big improvement there.

Then I went ahead and removed the forks and installed the Legend Axeo monotubes. Per their recommendation, for my weight and type of riding, I left them set at the factory "zero turns" setting. Took my first ride with them yesterday, and am very impressed! R/R tracks, bridge joints, potholes- the front suspension now just soaks these things up and asks for more. The Axeos are expensive, but very much worth it IMO.

I think this combo of the Legend front end and the Supershox in the rear is a real winner. The bike is safer, more comfortable, more capable and more predictable on less-than-perfect road surfaces.

If anyone has any questions about Supershox or the Legend Axeo monotubes, please let me know
What year is your SG?

Old 08-27-2016, 08:45 PM
rv7garage
Road Master

It's a 2015

Old 08-27-2016, 09:04 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

How difficult was the monotube install? I've never been inside the tubes.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:20 PM
rv7garage
Road Master

The forks were surprisingly easy in the end. You need a 3/4 hex socket, and also a 4" long 12mm hex socket, and some sort of a fork vise will really help as a 3rd hand- I bought the Jim's tool. Regardless, really very easy. Just use the instruction sheet included and refer to the service manual for torque specs.

The following users liked this post:
Back-n-Black (08-27-2016)