Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much labor on brake fluid flush?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:49 PM
TheITMercenary
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Irego
Just took in my bike for the 10k service. Got a call back letting me know that fluids were thick and black. They suggested a flush. Rear and front 198$
If you have ABS buy one of our utilities and cut the dealer cord (and price tag).

Old 02-14-2019, 05:04 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 253 Posts

Did you ask the service writer/manager? Generally, most reputable shops will quote you directly from an established source like a flat rate labor book. I dont think 1.5 hours is a high estimate. Ive often found what the dealer charges, even if its a fair price for the work involved, is rarely what the customer WANTS to pay.

If you arent comfortable doing the work yourself, pay the 1.5 hours. Its an honest price.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:25 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

You can do ABS yourself. Get bleeder. KEEP MASTER CYLINDER FULL. Do not allow to run low, otherwise, its off to the dealer.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 AM
Shotgun
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheITMercenary
If you have ABS buy one of our utilities and cut the dealer cord (and price tag).
I purchased one of these and it works great! Easily pays for itself in 1-1/2 dealer trips! Took about 45 min to complete a full ABS flush with "Speed Bleeders" installed.

The following users liked this post:
TheITMercenary (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

Curt5811, very entertaining, guess you don't like to pay for the Harley branded and approved free coffee and donuts on Saturday mornings. I don't either but someone must. The wording in the manuals and the function of the ABS unit have been kicked around many times before. The PROBLEM is moisture being absorbed into the brake fluid over time, hence the flush. Not activating the pump in the ABS module does NOT flush new fluid into the pump and accumulators and it is anyone"s guess as to how well activating the ABS while riding after a home flush does that. For the most part, brake fluid does NOT circulate, it moves only enough to transfer pressure from the master cylinder to the caliper pistons. When the control is released, the fluid moves back to its resting position. If that FLUSHES the ABS module, I don't see how, but I don't even have a bike with ABS. The ABS system is a snake in the grass just waiting to bite, treat it with the level of care YOU are comfortable with and then don't cry about the eventual results.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:11 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayking
As an update to my original post, I took my bike in today for the brake fluid flush. Since I didn't want to tackle the job myself and since I had $40 in Reward Points from my last visit that I had to use before Oct. 2, I figured WTH just go ahead and let the dealer do it. When I asked him again to confirm that it would be 1.5 hours of labor, he said "yes, but that's just for the brakes. You have a hydraulic clutch so if you want that done it's an additional hour of labor." At this point, I'm ready to blow a gasket. But, I kept my cool and recalled all those comments I got about "if you don't want to do it yourself, then pay the man." I waited for the bike and much to my surprise they come and get me in an hour and 15 minutes. OK, I'm thinking, my bill should only be for 1.5 hours labor at the most. Not so, 2.5 hours of labor is the charge. So, $270 later I'm riding out of the dealership confident that I will now be able to stop and shift better than I did going in. You gotta just laugh about it sometimes.
I am not sure what your issue is here...you got typical flat-rate quote of 1.5 hours at their shop rates of probably less than $100/hr to flush your brake system. I believe that if a top tech rushes the job, he or she can be done in one hour or less, but what competent successful shop manager is going to routinely assign top master techs to simple routine tasks like this? That is not how it works, these kinds of tasks are typically assigned to junior techs, and if it takes more than 1.5 hours, than that is on them and not you...

Depending on your personal experience level, 1.5 hours to completely flush the front and rear brake systems, put in new fluid, and bleed the systems is not unreasonable. I've done this several time and that sounds about right for me. Add another hour for the clutch...2.5 hours at say, $100/hr leaving $20 it cost you for two pints of brake fluid and at least a half-dozen seal washers...$270 for a bonded and warrantied maintenance task on a safety critical system, ride in - ride out, done and done. I'm sorry, I just don't see what the issue is? From a business standpoint, this is fair and reasonable transaction, and if there were no other issues requiring them to redo anything, then it is a good deal, IMHO.

Last edited by skinman13; 02-15-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 821 Posts

Just had mine done last fall (non-ABS) by my local indy.....does them for a flat $35 OTD.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:08 PM
TheITMercenary
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by skinman13
I am not sure what your issue is here...you got typical flat-rate quote of 1.5 hours at their shop rates of probably less than $100/hr to flush your brake system. I believe that if a top tech rushes the job, he or she can be done in one hour or less, but what competent successful shop manager is going to routinely assign top master techs to simple routine tasks like this? That is not how it works, these kinds of tasks are typically assigned to junior techs, and if it takes more than 1.5 hours, than that is on them and not you...

Depending on your personal experience level, 1.5 hours to completely flush the front and rear brake systems, put in new fluid, and bleed the systems is not unreasonable. I've done this several time and that sounds about right for me. Add another hour for the clutch...2.5 hours at say, $100/hr leaving $20 it cost you for two pints of brake fluid and at least a half-dozen seal washers...$270 for a bonded and warrantied maintenance task on a safety critical system, ride in - ride out, done and done. I'm sorry, I just don't see what the issue is? From a business standpoint, this is fair and reasonable transaction, and if there were no other issues requiring them to redo anything, then it is a good deal, IMHO.
Original post was 3 years ago, but none the less I agree with you in regards to your "business standpoint" commentary.

However, this is exactly why I advocate to friends and family (that have the aptitude and facility) to perform maintenance (and more) on their own vehicles. The world is much smaller and full of a greater pool of collective knowledge than there ever was. I remember encyclopedia subscriptions when I was a kid (and it was exciting getting the new volume!). Now? I can learn more (and much more current) about a topic from the comfort of my kitchen table while drinking coffee as I scroll my phone or laptop.

Point being....we are in a very cool age of learning and DIY capabilities. I think a lot of guys (and gals) are scared of trying new things. Find a friend that has the knowledge. Find a good video. Find a good web page and/or article. I think most would be surprised what a good job they can do with a few hours of research and quality garage time.

Me personally, just the sheer prices mentioned from the other poster would motivate me to learn and do said procedures. Admittedly though, some may not have enough time, self confidence, or even a garage to do it.

None the less....IF you want to do the brake flush procedure with an ABS equipped bike I have got you covered. Give us a shout, email, etc if you have questions. I have no problem sharing knowledge (or funny stories).

Old 02-15-2019, 02:12 PM
TheITMercenary
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Just had mine done last fall (non-ABS) by my local indy.....does them for a flat $35 OTD.
That's a deal for you, but that mechanic must be eating beans. Considering a decent quart of brake fluid is $5 AND assuming he only needed one then he did the job for $30. Assuming it was about 30 minutes of labor he makes about $60/hr (and that's probably being optimistic because that doesn't factor in rags, soap, electricity).

This (and many other reasons) is why I never pursued a career as a mechanic.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:42 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by TheITMercenary
That's a deal for you, but that mechanic must be eating beans. Considering a decent quart of brake fluid is $5 AND assuming he only needed one then he did the job for $30. Assuming it was about 30 minutes of labor he makes about $60/hr (and that's probably being optimistic because that doesn't factor in rags, soap, electricity).

This (and many other reasons) is why I never pursued a career as a mechanic.
People rightly expecting your best work and materials but just not willing to pay a fair price for it got me out of avionics...I had enough one day and just locked the shop, turned in the FAA tickets, cancelled the hanger shop lease, sold off the equipment, and started teaching. I miss working on the gadgets and airplanes sometimes, but not dealing with the Alpha Hotel owners and pilots. It can wear on you. I do imagine that some Harley owners can be a lot like those small airplane owners...

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (02-15-2019)

Quick Reply: How much labor on brake fluid flush?