Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much labor on brake fluid flush?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:34 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How much labor on brake fluid flush?

What does your H-D dealer charge for a brake fluid flush? My dealer says one a half hour labor plus fluid. Seems a bit high on labor.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts

It could cost you only $6.99 plus fluid if you had a handy bro to help. (beer charge)

Old 09-09-2016, 03:57 PM
kculp
Cruiser

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Go to Harbor Freight, there's a little hand operated pump for $21.99 and is super easy. If you watch this video, he'll show you how. Max time front and back: 50 minutes. ABS maybe on your bike? I am not a skilled person at all, really is a brainless task. Just get a little a set of open wrench stubbies as you'll use them elsewhere (again Harbor Freight had a metric and US combo set for $11.99).

The following users liked this post:
dafrisco (09-10-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

If it were me, I would be more concerned them actually doing it. Sure, the will probably pop the caps and pull off the top and refill. But my guess is that will be all you get. Watch them. Time they pull it in and do it, it will take a half an hour if the really flush it thru. If you pump it thru with the lever or pedal, you will probably do more damage then good since the pistons seals will get into positions they normally do not travel.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:25 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Get a set of Speed bleeders....one man job. Just keep the reservoir full and pump the handle.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Not going to even watch the rest of this no nothing. NEVER suck the reservoir dry!
Put the suction pump on the caliper and do the entire job from there keeping the reservoir full at ALL times. So easy to do.

The following 2 users liked this post by Just Me:
INJEKTER (04-03-2019), Zonktified (04-11-2019)
Old 09-09-2016, 05:05 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayking
What does your H-D dealer charge for a brake fluid flush? My dealer says one a half hour labor plus fluid. Seems a bit high on labor.
Well, it's probably going to take at least a half hour to do it. So, if they're charging a half hour, seems like a reasonable rate.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:26 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

+1 on both the speed bleeders or the vacuum pump (I have both but either one will suffice). It's very easy to do, but be certain to cover all painted surfaces anytime brake fluid is near. Do you mean a half hour or one and a half? Hard to interpret your original post.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:52 PM
e.nigma
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ABS needs to have the module cycled to purge the fluid from it. Only people I know with the computer to do that is the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Deuuuce (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 06:25 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by e.nigma
ABS needs to have the module cycled to purge the fluid from it. Only people I know with the computer to do that is the dealer.
If the bike that needs flushed is the one in the OPs signature then it's an 07. Anti lock was not introduced until 08.

Even if it did there's just not a lot of fluid in the anti lock pump. Leaving it in would not seriously contaminate the new fluid. If that bit of fluid does worry you then you can flush the system then ride the bike making a few sudden stops to activate the anti lock then reflush again, more trouble but the only cost is time and fluid.

I've used both a Mighty Vac and speed bleeders to flush bike brakes. I prefer the speed bleeders. The vac works but it's really easy to suck the master cylinder too low. If you do that it's much more time cosuming to get all the air out of the lines.

Quick Reply: How much labor on brake fluid flush?