Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Aftermarket Seat Issues - Frustrating (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1139142-aftermarket-seat-issues-frustrating.html)

WiscoHarley 09-27-2016 11:05 PM

Aftermarket Seat Issues - Frustrating

This. topic. has. been. beat. to. death.

I get it.

Problem is, no one has answered the question...

I have a 2008 FLHX Street Glide (For seat purposes, it's the same as the 2009-13 SG models) Those with 2008's know my pain, as it was the bastard year in which HD only upgraded to the new larger gas tank, with the male tongue seat attachment, but left the frame the same as 2003-2008. Only in 2009+ did HD change the frame etc.. )

That said, I NEED a new seat. As most of us know.. the stock SG seat leaves a lot to be desired in the comfort world.

In a perfect world, I'd like a seat that is VERY comfortable for myself and my passenger (read cranky gf.. lol) that sit lower and if possible pushes me back a little. Does this magic seat even exist?? I've looked into several options and cannot seem to find the right seat.

Tried the sundowner..felt as if I was being scrunched up, and pushed forward on the tank.

Tried the HD tallboy, honestly didn't feel any different than my stock SG seat imo.

Tried a 2012 Road Glide ULTRA take off seat, the passenger part was way too high and the seat felt very constricting and pushing me up on the tank as well...

After MUCH research, I tried the SADDLEMEN LS Road Sofa ( diamond stitch, with saddle gel etc), had that delivered today, and though it clearly states it should fit 08-2014 SG FLHX, it did not. The female end on the seat was too high and didn't line up quite well with the male tongue on my bike. I pushed like crazy down on the front part of the seat to make it work.. but there was just no way... Called Saddlemen and this is a issue they've been hearing with the 2008's so they are bringing a 2008 SG into their shop to find out WTH is the prob and are going to remake / refit the LS Road sofa to the bike moving fwd.

That said.. what a hassle.. Any suggestions on seats to look for? Seats that are super comfortable but don't look ridiculous on a SG. I have the stock shorty sissy bar as well...

I'm 6'1 - 245lbs GF is 5'6 110lbs

Any help is GREATLY appreciated..

Danno

rcpilot_971 09-27-2016 11:24 PM

I have 09 SG I put a CVO seat off of a 2010 SG way better than the stock SG seat Iv had it on since 2010 it does sit just a tad lower than the stock seat

WiscoHarley 09-27-2016 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by rcpilot_971 (Post 15549807)
I have 09 SG I put a CVO seat off of a 2010 SG way better than the stock SG seat Iv had it on since 2010 it does sit just a tad lower than the stock seat

How's the passenger comfort? She hates the skinniness of the stock seat.. wanted something more comfortable and wider...

RKZen 09-28-2016 02:59 AM

Welcome from NC.

You tried Mean City Cycles here or any seat modder? MCC can mod any HD seat to your liking. Many here use them with good results.

Seats can be a hit-n-miss, but a seat mod can be the better choice.

ybnorml 09-28-2016 03:43 AM

Yep.... ^^^^^ MeanCity Cycles.
They did my seat 60k miles ago, and it still feels
like 2 hands gently massaging my ass when I ride !!! :icon_dopey::icon_nut:

rcpilot_971 09-28-2016 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by WiscoHarley (Post 15549810)
How's the passenger comfort? She hates the skinniness of the stock seat.. wanted something more comfortable and wider...

My wife says its way more comfortable than the stock seat I don't Know that's its wider than the stock one

Smokey Stover 09-28-2016 08:00 AM

Danny Gray Longhaul 2up, Has built in Airhawk system, Wife loves it, Seats dont need to be thick with foam padding to be comfortable.

Joe12RK 09-28-2016 08:10 AM

you're going to get a million recommendations just like any other seat thread... the street glide seat looks cool but passenger isn't comfortable. bite the bullet and get a real touring seat even if it looks bad. you can swap back to the cool looking seat if you ride solo...

camsmith 09-28-2016 09:29 AM

Mustang Super Solo with backrest #79446. Passenger pillion sold separately & comes in 3 sizes. It's on my 08 in my signature.

IdahoHacker 09-28-2016 09:52 AM

Eventually, you will get a recommendation for every seat ever built.

If you haven't demoed a Hammock, do it.