Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 CVO 114 Idling Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 04:04 AM
hikervt
Banned
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2017 CVO 114 Idling Question

Has anyone with the new 114 noticed anything funny with the idle? Just took delivery yesterday, and on the way home when pulling up to a stop light idle was around 1300-1400 RPMs. I rev'd it slightly and it dropped down to ~1000.. Within a second or two it went right back up to 1300-1400. Rode it home no problem, pulled in the driveway, left the bike in neutral. As I walked over to the garage door to open it I could hear the bike start to Rev again (around 1300-1400 RPM)

Please tell me this isn't a "feature" to bring up the charging voltage or something like that....

Old 09-30-2016, 04:42 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

They are supposed to idle at 800RPM. Break it in and let the service dept. know at your 1000Mi service, even if it does settle in.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

As Hasher suggests. If it starts doing anything more wild contact your dealer.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:23 AM
hikervt
Banned

Thanks guys, I agree it may just need to "settle in".. although that has never been my experience the multiple times I've reset the trim on other bikes with the powervison. There was slight settling, but not 300-400 RPMs..

My intention was to see if any other owners have seen this. It's pretty likely my local dealer hasn't spent enough time on the new 114 other than getting them out the door. I probably should also say, I love it. The Torque is incredible

Old 09-30-2016, 06:41 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

There's a procedure for re-calibrating the idle it's pretty simple to do yourself. I've had that issue several times on my 14. I copied this from another post on HD Forums. Correct by cycling the main switch from Off to Ignition 4 times with the throttle grip in the idle position and the Run switch in the run position. Pause 10 seconds each time you switch (i.e., Ignition 10 sec, Off 10 sec, Ignition 10 sec.. etc.) This allows the ECM to relearn the zero position of the throttle. The system can learn the wrong zero position if you shut your bike off with the run stop switch and your hand on the throttle. Some dealers are now telling folks to turn off their bikes with the main switch to avoid resetting the zero throttle position.

The following users liked this post:
hikervt (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 06:50 AM
hikervt
Banned

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
There's a procedure for re-calibrating the idle it's pretty simple to do yourself. I've had that issue several times on my 14. I copied this from another post on HD Forums. Correct by cycling the main switch from Off to Ignition 4 times with the throttle grip in the idle position and the Run switch in the run position. Pause 10 seconds each time you switch (i.e., Ignition 10 sec, Off 10 sec, Ignition 10 sec.. etc.) This allows the ECM to relearn the zero position of the throttle. The system can learn the wrong zero position if you shut your bike off with the run stop switch and your hand on the throttle. Some dealers are now telling folks to turn off their bikes with the main switch to avoid resetting the zero throttle position.
Thanks for the info. With the CVO everything now operators off one switch on the handle bar. There is no "twist" switch. Sounds like there should be a similar procedure for my bike. I will dig into that. Thanks!!

Old 09-30-2016, 07:03 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I wouldn't adjust anything. Bikes too new (in every way) and I would want the dealer to address at the 1000 as mentioned. Or if it will be a while before the 1000, bring it in.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:12 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Why don't you try and post this in the new M8 forum.Might by chance have another CVO 114 on there.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,413 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by hikervt
Thanks for the info. With the CVO everything now operators off one switch on the handle bar. There is no "twist" switch. Sounds like there should be a similar procedure for my bike. I will dig into that. Thanks!!
The procedure is almost the same but you should allow the system to learn the idle in two ways. One is for the Twist Grip to learn and the other is for the ECM to learn idle speed. On your bike you use the power switch but keep your hand off the Twist Grip (throttle). Switch the bike on and allow it to idle for at least 9 minutes. If you have a household fan set it next to the bike and allow it to blow air across the engine while doing this. After 10 minutes reach up and turn it off while not touching the Twist Grip. Allow to sit for 20 seconds. Then follow the procedure described before with cycling the power switch only on your bike.

This learns both the Idle speed and the Twist Grip to the ECM.

The following users liked this post:
IKnowNot (10-01-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 03:11 PM
hikervt
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The procedure is almost the same but you should allow the system to learn the idle in two ways. One is for the Twist Grip to learn and the other is for the ECM to learn idle speed. On your bike you use the power switch but keep your hand off the Twist Grip (throttle). Switch the bike on and allow it to idle for at least 9 minutes. If you have a household fan set it next to the bike and allow it to blow air across the engine while doing this. After 10 minutes reach up and turn it off while not touching the Twist Grip. Allow to sit for 20 seconds. Then follow the procedure described before with cycling the power switch only on your bike.

This learns both the Idle speed and the Twist Grip to the ECM.
Thank you very much for the response Steve!

Quick Reply: 2017 CVO 114 Idling Question