Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post, first Harley, some advice would be great!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default First post, first Harley, some advice would be great!

Good morning all. I'm about to buy my 1st HD and am considering 2 different bikes. Once I finalize my decision on which bike to buy I have a couple questions on the smartest way to make a few minor modifications to the bike.

I've narrowed my choices to a '17 Street Glide Special and a '16 low mileage Ultra Limited Low (I'm 5'6", the lower the seat height the better assuming I don't destroy the handling). If I buy the Street Glide I'll want to lower the bike an inch or two and get a significantly more comfortable seat for my wife in back as well as a back rest for myself. Other than that, the only mod I'm certain I wish to do is to make the bike more visible with high intensity lighting. If I get the Ultra Limited Low then all I'll need to do is get the quick release kit for the trunk and the same type of lighting as I'd do on the Street Glide Special. Cost isn't the deciding factor as I can afford either; however, I do like my money and with the new 107 people are making really good deals on '16 and older bikes on CL, the used ULL will probably cost $7000-$8000 less which to me is not chump change.

I prefer the look of the SGS, I love the Laguna Orange paint (which is why I'm not really considering a used SGS), and I like the potential of the new 107 (even though I've read here there have been some problems). I certainly don't mind the look of the ULL, but I'd be riding a heavier bike with less power. I plan to do some touring and the trunk would probably be an absolute godsend when my wife decides to come along for the week/weekend. And of course there is the difference in cost, the money saved could pay for hotels and meals for a year's worth of weekend excursions.

This leads me to two general questions. First for those who have done it before, do you think I'd have more luck making a '17 SGS more like the '16 ULL or making the ULL more like the SGS? Secondly, would you recommend I get the seat, lower the SGS (if that's the bike I choose), and upgrade the lighting at the HD dealer or going aftermarket?

Thanks for your time

Last edited by Mike flies; 11-09-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:17 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

I had 3 Street glides, I lowered all of them. Worked for me,ie forks and shocks, I am 5;8'. Grate bike like the way they look. I am now on a Limited Low nice bike too, like all of the storage. Both are good bikes.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:23 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No matter which bike you get, send your seat to Mean City Cycles in North Carolina. They are great.

Lights to get more visibility is pretty easy and relatively inexpensive. I would use custom dynamics for their plug and play LED turn signals/brake lights.

There are a few issues with the 2017 but hey, that is what warranty is for. It is a new engine so there will be issues that pop up this year until they figure out all the bugs.

Save yourself a few thousand and go with a 2016 which will have more parts that fit your bike where you can really make it yours. I wish I had a tourpack for my street glide and now for me to get a painted one from Harley is about $1,200.00

The new 107" is nice but there are companies out there like FuelMoto that can make your engine run circles around that new bike. Take your time and do research on what you want. If you start thinking of exhaust/air cleaner/tuner...think ahead about what you MAY want to do in the future and start building off of something that you can add to.

I didn't have any great tuners in Central Florida that I could use because of the tuner I bought. The local guy will only use one brand. I didn't want to drop another $500+ on a tuner and then $400 to have him actually tune it so I found other options.

I bought my power vision and target tune from fuel moto. I was really impressed with their customer service so I went ahead and bought a cam kit from them. (Yes, I was only going to do exhaust and intake and now here I am pricing out a 107" kit.) Every dealing I have with them is great but there are others on here that seem really customer service and performance oriented.

Take your time and plan on what you want to do. For instance, I like chrome because its a classic. I also really like black but now that I have the chrome ape hangers, exhaust, forks, etc...it would cost a TON of money to switch to black.

Take your time and research....

Say goodbye to whatever money you have in your bank account...this is addicting.

Last edited by jimfount00; 11-09-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:24 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

.. i think you'll find that making an SGS into an Ultra costs way more than taking stuff off the LTD
..... that said, if you really want a particular color, you gotta go w/the model it comes in.
............ i'd go w/the LTD, you may find the convenience such that ya never take the TP off

The following users liked this post:
J.Tours (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 10:50 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,283 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Just speaking from limited experience with SG. My concern is the rear shock tends to bottom out fairly easy. Don't think I'd lower to much. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Spartaman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome from Montreal!

Old 11-09-2016, 11:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Conventional wisdom where the SG is concerned is that, especially when carrying Mrs Mike, a tourpak with its backrest is a winner. Also that starting with an Ultra is cheaper than adding the passenger friendly things to an SG. Is your wife a party to your plans?! Take her to the dealer and let her look around - most of us know what you will buy!

Old 11-09-2016, 11:16 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts

If you don't want to do mods beyond a stage one, get the 2017. I think the motor is way better, cooler & more power out of the box. The problems have been miner for most part. The real change is the heads & haven't heard any complaints on them, time well tell. I'd rather have a first year than a last year unless you want to mod the **** out of it.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:49 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome aboard. The ultra and a removable tour pack.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:17 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 484 Likes on 347 Posts

Welcome! Is a 2017 ULL out of the question? That gives you everything touring-wise you need, right out of the box...plus the new M8 and twin cooled at that...

trade off is of course $$

Quick Reply: First post, first Harley, some advice would be great!