Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Drive chain tension

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:07 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Primary Drive chain tension

I've been hunting around but haven't found the answer.

Recently, I had to replace the rotor and stator on my bike. I had the entire primary case off the bike which included the compensator sprocket, clutch basket and the automatic chain tensioner. After I replaced everything, I am now hearing what sounds like either compensator noise(again!!) and what I think is chain noise.

After I reinstalled the chain tensioner(I had a zip tie around it to keep everything in place) it pretty much adjusted itself after I removed the zip tie.

Now, I'm hearing noise again! It's driving my nucking futs! Could it be that there's too much tension on the primary chain or could it possibly be that the compensator sprocket is just a POS? Is there a way to tell if there's too much tension on the chain?

BTW - My bike is an '07 EG UC.

Thank you guys!

Last edited by ElectraJim; 11-29-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had similar problems with my 07 Fatboy. The stock compensator was a POS. Lots of banging/clunking on start up. I also had the factory auto chain tensioner which did not work well. I kept hearing a rattling sound on acceleration. When I opened it up, the primary chain was so loose it had carved a groove into the cover! I replaced the stock compensator with an SE version. I also put in a Hayden chain tensioner. No problems since-have close to 50k on the bike now...still running strong.

The following users liked this post:
ElectraJim (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

'07 FLHR, same experience with the stock tensioner, got stuck and the chain was so loose it was wearing the cover.

Switched to the Hayden, too tight. It killed the clutch hub bearing which stripped the spline on the hub.

Using the Baker now, nice and quiet and smooth, won't look back now.

ElectraJim (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I've had mine make noise occasionally. I always assumed it was the tensioner kicking up a notch and getting tight again. I'd ride it for a while and let it wear back in. I bet it goes away.

I assume you got the compensator to the right torque.

ElectraJim (11-30-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Bigman405
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my tensioner with a twin power tensioner and mine runs even better. I had my chain with a 1/4 in slack in it, cold. I almost went with baker tensioner but I didn't want to take chain off to install it. With twin power I didn't have to take it off.

ElectraJim (11-30-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 10:12 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The early auto tensioners did indeed fail both losing all tension and overnighting. Hayden's on the later bikes also often run the run the chain tight. Upgrading to late auto tensioner or a baker manual setup are two best solutions. My stock tensioner is welded in place...

ElectraJim (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 11:03 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Maybe the noise I am hearing isn't chain related. It sounds to me like the chain tension is too tight.

Well, since I'm not riding it right now, I'm going back to plan B and saving up for a Baker compensator. Think I'll save a little more and get the attitude adjuster as well.

Oh well, what's another $700 bucks? :::sigh:::

Old 11-30-2016, 11:11 AM
securecaps
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chain Tensioner

We at securecaps.com have found the hayden to work well since it has the spacers for right tension. No removal of any parts except the oem. tensioner.
also S&S makes one and Baker.

We are running the new hayden with the right spacers and tension and its awesome. hope that helps

ElectraJim (11-30-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 12:01 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Take the derby cover off (with bike on a lift or table, oil will run out otherwise) and using a long thin screwdriver or rod of some sort and a flashlight, look in and push against the center of the upper part of the chain and see if it has some flex. If very little flex and under tension then its too tight.

ElectraJim (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 09:50 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Take the derby cover off (with bike on a lift or table, oil will run out otherwise) and using a long thin screwdriver or rod of some sort and a flashlight, look in and push against the center of the upper part of the chain and see if it has some flex. If very little flex and under tension then its too tight.
It's interesting that you state that if the bike isn't upright that taking the derby cover off would result in oil running out. When I refilled with 38 OZ of primary oil, I had it on the Jiffy stand. It came close to the bottom of where the derby cover sits but never ran out. Maybe I don't have enough in there??? I added 38OZ back in per the manual. Hmmm.... maybe I screwed up again? (I wouldn't doubt it). LOL!

Quick Reply: Primary Drive chain tension