Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Lower fairing question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1149133-lower-fairing-question.html)

oldbie 12-06-2016 01:46 PM

Lower fairing question

Are the lowers different between Electra and Road Glide?
Thanks

Magnut1 12-06-2016 01:50 PM

The main differences are early ventless, later vented - sliding vent type, and the new ones that house the radiator for wet heads.

harkon 12-06-2016 02:20 PM

It may be year dependent, but from year to year, they look identical between the RG and EG. The only real difference would be color options.

Depends. '98-09 FLTR were different. After that '10 - '13 were the same. '15-'17 were the same too. I don't know the '98-'09 FLTR's were equipped with them.

09 YELLOWBIRD 12-06-2016 04:58 PM

To expand on what Harkon was saying.

Non Vented lower fairings will only fit 2009 and Below.

In 2010, Road Glides, Ultra Road Glides were refitted with a new raised fairing bracket to allow for vented lowers.

YB

skratch 12-07-2016 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD (Post 15736142)
To expand on what Harkon was saying.

Non Vented lower fairings will only fit 2009 and Below.

In 2010, Road Glides, Ultra Road Glides were refitted with a new raised fairing bracket to allow for vented lowers.

YB

AND, to expand on yellowbird's post, in 2010, the fairing caps were modified so that they would fit on the engine guard without having to be trimmed.

clovisrider 12-08-2016 09:13 AM

I could be wrong, but my '05 Road Glide has fairing brackets that mount to the engine guard. Bat wing bikes don't have those brackets, so they don't have a provision for the Road Glide fairing mounts in the lower fairing design to mount them.

My bike had the one piece design, I wanted the style with the vent doors for more air flow when it's hot.
That's what I found when I got a set off a Bat wing bike. I didn't see any way to do it.

From HD's site; Color-Matched Vented Fairing Lower Kit, part number 58854-05 Fits '83-'13 Touring (except '98-'09 FLTR) and Trike models.

Am I wrong?

I would like to use them.

skratch 12-08-2016 10:28 AM

that's where the road glide remodel came into play. in 2010, the moco remodeled the fairing caps so they would not hit the fairing mounts. also, the road glide had the fairing lifted up an inch so the lower would not hit the fairing itself. the 2009 and lower road glide lowers (unvented) were a different shape than the vented ones.

what many road glide owners in your shoes have done is to buy the main fairing support and the two crash bar supports from the 2010 and up roadglides which will allow you to use the same vented fairing lowers as the batwings. not a very difficult or expensive mod to do.

clovisrider 12-08-2016 01:41 PM

skratch,

Thank-you for the information. I'll do that. It gets really hot here and I had to pull the non vented lowers off, then reinstall when the summer heat was gone.

09 YELLOWBIRD 12-08-2016 02:53 PM

ALSO, to add with what Skatch said above.

Some folks have added some aftermarket vents to the non vented lowers.

GroupW has a set of them on his Rig. Maybe PM him or look for his beautiful Yellow Road Glide posing in front of some of the best riding photos at west!

Sorry can't remember the name of the brand.

YB