Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baggers magazine exhaust article?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 09:59 AM
teedubbyaw
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Baggers magazine exhaust article?

Few months ago they did an exhaust shootout that included dyno runs. Anyone know where I can find it?

Old 12-17-2016, 10:39 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,165 Posts

All I found were videos of various exhausts. At the end of each video they show horsepower and torque numbers.

http://www.baggersmag.com/how-to

Old 12-17-2016, 11:54 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

The issue I have with these shootouts is that unless you actually ride the bike with the exhaust system, how does one know if the exhaust won't develop an exhaust drone sound at a specific RPM one might ride at?

Old 12-17-2016, 12:28 PM
teedubbyaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
The issue I have with these shootouts is that unless you actually ride the bike with the exhaust system, how does one know if the exhaust won't develop an exhaust drone sound at a specific RPM one might ride at?
Well considering the article was in their magazine, not sure how you're going to hear any of them. Scratch and hear?

It was a performance comparison

Old 12-17-2016, 12:35 PM
teedubbyaw
Tourer

Anyways, choosing an exhaust is way too difficult. Love fuel moto jackpot, but it's too loud for touring. D&D fatcat is sweet, too. The more I look at 2 into 1 the more I want duals because they look better, IMO.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:49 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

suggest you go t bike night and see what other guys are using to narrow down what you "might like".

2/1, 2/1/2, 2/2

once you get close you can ask the guy if you can ride by him and hear his pipes in the real world

and for power- there have been many comparos over the years.

I use supertrapps- which have been at or near the top of every shoot out since the 70's

they are adjustable for sound

they are adjustable for power (!)

and they can be about as loud- or quiet as the rider wants.

1 thing about a "drone" that may be the muffler- if can also be a resonant frequency in a full face helmet...you can even stop a drone by flipping the visor open.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-17-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
All I found were videos of various exhausts. At the end of each video they show horsepower and torque numbers.

http://www.baggersmag.com/how-to
I know from my own experience that HP and TQ numbers don't tell us the whole story. I'm a convert to Supertrapp, having swapped from a TD set-up to one of their Supermegs. I had my bike dyno-tuned by the same shop and operator for each system, the headline numbers being very similar. The difference was much improved TQ with the Supermeg, in the low/mid rev range where most of us normally ride, along with a much smoother and sweeter running engine. Chalk and cheese!

Last edited by grbrown; 12-18-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:29 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Originally Posted by teedubbyaw
Well considering the article was in their magazine, not sure how you're going to hear any of them. Scratch and hear?

It was a performance comparison
Since you asked for information on their exhaust shoot-out, I assumed you were looking for a location of their actual article somewhere on the Internet. You can call the magazine and purchase a back issue if the article isn't current. I did a quick search, but couldn't find any specific article, but I did find a number of sound-off clips from Bagger Magazine, which I assumed you probably also saw. I should have provided a more detailed explanation in my comment. I was just commenting on the following link,

http://www.baggersmag.com/tags/baggers-sound-off

Old 12-18-2016, 02:39 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
1 thing about a "drone" that may be the muffler- if can also be a resonant frequency in a full face helmet...you can even stop a drone by flipping the visor open.
Possibly. I installed a pair of HD Screamin' Eagle mufflers (65115-98B) on my 2004 Ultra and they had a terrible drone that would drive me nuts on long trips. I very quickly took them off, sold them and re-installed the stock mufflers. The Screamin' Eagle mufflers sounded great, but at a certain RPM I just found them annoying. I wear a half-helmet.

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 12-18-2016 at 02:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-18-2016, 06:59 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I actually found that my 2-n-1 Rush Wrath was quieter when rolling down the hwy. I could hear the radio better but riding next to my bike it sounds awesome and remember, you can hang a dummy pipe and you still have the 2-1-2 look.