Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPR Stabilizer on Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:43 AM
SoCal Harley
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GPR Stabilizer on Bagger

Not sure if it's new. But just saw that GPR makes a Stabilizer for baggers. I wanted to see if anyone had one on their bike. If so, pros and cons? Install easy or hard?
Any info would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails GPR Stabilizer on Bagger-img_0232.png  
Old 12-18-2016, 10:12 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Not me. My bike is not unstable. If it was, I would determine root cause, not apply band aids.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It's called a 'stabilizer', but in fact is a steering damper, which is misleading. In over 40 years of riding Harleys I have never felt the need for one of those. The type of stabilizer our touring bikes definitely benefit from is a handling stabilizer kit such as a True-Track.

Do you have a handling condition you are looking to solve?

Old 12-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
It's called a 'stabilizer', but in fact is a steering damper
Yes, I know. Still, never felt the need to have the steering dampened on my bike.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:42 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some don't need it (have no idea why). I guess it just depends how aggressive you ride. If you ride15K and up per year any stabilization / heim joint bar that counters the twist from the transmission will help. Alloy Art makes a good touring stabilizer that no matter how hard or soft you ride gives immediate results. Smartest money spent.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:50 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,185 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Not me. My bike is not unstable. If it was, I would determine root cause, not apply band aids.
especially since it would probably cost less than $650 to solve it in the first place....

Old 12-18-2016, 01:36 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RocketRocker
Some don't need it (have no idea why). I guess it just depends how aggressive you ride. If you ride 15K and up per year any stabilization / heim joint bar that counters the twist from the transmission will help. Alloy Art makes a good touring stabilizer that no matter how hard or soft you ride gives immediate results. Smartest money spent.
You're talking of a rear stabilizer, this one is for the front forks - a different animal!

Old 12-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't think I had any issues with the steering but have had issues with the typical Harley high speed wobbles.

Have the GlidePro rear mount and Alloy Art stabilizer, tightened my neck bearings and still have the wobbles. With solid front engine mounts the wobble was contained but everything on the bike was breaking due to vibrations. Next step is to replace the swing arm bearings and reinstall the factory parts to see if that fixes it.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:46 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Sc0-
Don't think I had any issues with the steering but have had issues with the typical Harley high speed wobbles.

Have the GlidePro rear mount and Alloy Art stabilizer, tightened my neck bearings and still have the wobbles. With solid front engine mounts the wobble was contained but everything on the bike was breaking due to vibrations. Next step is to replace the swing arm bearings and reinstall the factory parts to see if that fixes it.
Check tyre pressures and condition. Have you changed brand recently? Any other changes to your bike recently, such as high bars?

Old 12-18-2016, 02:54 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,589 Likes on 5,164 Posts

Another one of those have to ask why?

Quick Reply: GPR Stabilizer on Bagger