Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering ride height/stance of 2015 Road Glide Standard (FLTRX)

Old 12-24-2016, 06:01 AM
2WHEELFREAK
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Lowering ride height/stance of 2016 Road Glide Standard (FLTRX)

NOTE: My bike is a 2016, not a 2015. Made a typo in the subject line.

Hello gents! Looking at lowering my bike finally. I've been doing some reading and searches on the board, but not quite finding all the answers I'm looking for specifically. Several questions I'm curious about and looking for answers. Sorry so long, and thanks in advance. Merry Christmas!

(1) Has anyone used the Progressive lowering kit Part #10-1568 for their touring bike? http://www.progressivesuspension.com...k-lowering-kit

This kit will lower the bike from 1" up to 2" max. I am only looking to lower my front end by 1" only.

(2) Should I change the fork oil to a heavier weight oil?

(3) From what I have been reading, if you lower the front 1", the rear also needs to be lowered 1". Any truth to this?

If so, I assume that requires me to either use lowering blocks in the rear with my current stock air shocks or to just purchase new rear shocks all together. If so, I'll choose to purchase new shocks versus using the lowering blocks as a cheaper route.

I'm looking to purchase the Pro-Action coilovers for the rear. I've spoken to the owner and seems to be a great product. http://street.pro-action.com/

(4) If you've lowered your bike 1" all the way around, did you have to make changes to your jiffy stand?

Yes, I will be doing 2-Up riding, but not a whole lot. BTW, just about ALL the roads in Arizona are perfect.

Let me know! Happy Holidays!!!!

Last edited by 2WHEELFREAK; 12-26-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: corrected year of ny bike
Old 12-24-2016, 07:34 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

I lowered my '10RK 1 inch front and rear .. Progressive mono tubes front and Ohlin shocks rear. Never noticed much ride change although one restaurant I frequent I have to go over a hump on an angle.
RE: side stand. I purchased two different one inch lower stands and neither of them gave enough lean angle so I made a tapered shim to install behind the mounting . We have a lot of humped roads in CT. so pulling off to the side was quite a problem. You probably wouldn't have a problem if your roads are level.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:28 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

just be aware that the X models are already down 1" in the rear over most touring models.

you have 12" shocks, we have 13" shocks...and the diff is in the shock travel, not the body.
so 12" air shocks have 1.75" travel, 13" air shocks have 2.75"

on an X model since the rear is 'down' ( compared to stock) you can go an inch in the front. if you go farther you need to reduce height same/same so that rake and trail remain correct- you don;t want a twitchy 900 pound bike.

if you are new to AZ- and our great riding, cyclrides.com has a dayrides section- check it out.
stay out of elevation this time of year- check weather first!

jiffy stand can be tricky...make sure the bike is stable or it can fall- on my fxr I heated and bent it.
on my touring I use a wheeldock ezup center stand

lowering the bike has possible effect on handling or bottoming dinging the top of the front fender or chewing up wiring or burning the paint off the rear fender.
not common, but something you want to consider

I had a Pal from NY in last week, we rode to florence, then down to tom mix wash, oracle, hayden, superior then back to PHX.
next day we went wickenberg, bagdad, kirkland jct, prescott, peeples valley, yarnell, wickenberg again and home- this is a wonderful ride but hits over 6100'

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-24-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:38 PM
2WHEELFREAK
Road Master

NELS and MKGUITAR,

Thank you for the info! Greatly appreciated it. MKG thanks for that shock info. I was planning to get the 12" shocks and will inform Pro-Action to not modify them. Thanks!

Old 12-25-2016, 06:24 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WHEELFREAK
... Location: HEAVEN ...
..... so, can you ride all year there ?
................. but hey, but curious minds wanna know

Old 12-25-2016, 09:52 PM
2WHEELFREAK
Road Master

Originally Posted by groupw
..... so, can you ride all year there ?
................. but hey, but curious minds wanna know
365 day or night

Old 12-26-2016, 04:43 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WHEELFREAK
NELS and MKGUITAR,

Thank you for the info! Greatly appreciated it. MKG thanks for that shock info. I was planning to get the 12" shocks and will inform Pro-Action to not modify them. Thanks!
I'm uninformed about Pro-Action shocks, but if all you're looking to do is lower the bike why trade a 12" shock for another 12" shock?

Old 12-26-2016, 07:23 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Ya. Your rears are 1" down as has been said. I lowered my 08 1" in the front with the cheap Harley lowering kit back then. No bottoming. Never slammed my fender into the trees. And that's with the cheap *** Harley one. I just chromed, color matched the cow bells black quartz and lowered my 16 RGS. But went with the progressive mono tubes lowered 1". Have not ridden it yet. It's winter up here and that's not happening.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:40 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,825 Likes on 8,403 Posts

Change the size of the rear tire from the 16/65/180 to a 16/45/180. That will lower the rear a little more plus give you clearance from rubbing any wires under the fender.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:20 PM
2WHEELFREAK
Road Master

Originally Posted by just plain john
I'm uninformed about Pro-Action shocks, but if all you're looking to do is lower the bike why trade a 12" shock for another 12" shock?
Adjustability and handling. They are a much better all around shock that offers more than the stock air shocks. I wouldn't just buy new shocks just to lower my bike. I am aware my bike has the 12" shock. I was asking the question initially because I read on this board that guys lowering their bikes 1" in the front also need to lower their rear 1". I believed those bikes were '14+ RG's. However, I might have misunderstood something. Thanks man.

Last edited by 2WHEELFREAK; 12-26-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering ride height/stance of 2015 Road Glide Standard (FLTRX)