Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does everyone fall off their bike at least once?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,563 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Backing out of a parking space and turned the bars to far, the bike started over and I could not hold it up so I laid it down real easy on the crash bar. Of course the whole freaking county was watching.

rk classic.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:48 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyin'Amber
Had a guy ahead of me pull onto the shoulder, then suddenly made a U-turn in front of me as I was about to overtake him.

I swerved into the oncoming lane (no traffic coming) to tried to miss him. He hit my right footboard, then my wife's foot (broke her ankle) tore off the saddlebag guard and bag and damaged the swingarm.

I was redirected off the road and went airborne into the ditch on the left side. Luckily I managed to keep it upright in the soft dirt and weeds but traveled 600-some feet before coming to a controlled rest.

Miraculously I walked away without a scratch but my OL got a trip to the ER.

That was a bad day.
This happens a lot more than you would think. I've talked to two riders lately who ended up in ER from a rider doing a U-turn without looking. Bot bikes totaled.

Beary

Old 12-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Mike14SG
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have dropped mine three times the first being at a rally on the main drag pulled over to the side of the road to wait for some friends and lets just say an incline and wet grass make for a loss of pride because it was seen by about 100 people but a few guys helped me get it back upright no damage.... once a forgot the kickstand (drinking tend to make us forget simple things and the last was a slow turn in a parking lot and accidently hit the front brake bike went down... I have had a couple close calls with cagers but I live in Houston and it seems like most of them just aren't paying attention.... With that said always try and ride within your and the bikes limits..

Old 12-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts

Twice here so far.
Once at an intersection turning right from a stop...just simply stalled it and tried to hold it up...and couldn’t.
Second was in the garage. And to this day I swear I put that stupid side stand down!
Both were learning lessons.

While at an HD Demo in Lancaster CA this passed weekend, this poor guy dropped what I think was a Street 750. He dismounted, started yapping to his buddy and that bike just rolled forward and fell. Some of these new bikes the side stand is difficult to find and much shorter than the touring bikes.
But speaking of falling, at this same Demo, I fell in love with that RoadGlide...man that’s a sweet ride.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:08 PM
panheadscooty
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read a quote from MLB manager;
Eventually percentages catch up to Motorcycle riders and Managers. Riders go down and managers get fired.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:19 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,608 Likes on 2,863 Posts

any manager for that matter

Old 12-12-2017, 05:22 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Bwahahahah! I took an ADV course in September http://www.pinebarrensadventures.com/
which I would highly recommend for anyone who wants to improve their riding skills.

Almost every "student" dropped their bike at least once (I dropped mine 5 times, and one of the instructors dropped his 3 times). Good thing it was on soft terrain and I was wearing gear with armor (another topic), but it's good training for anything you might run into on the street.

Other than THAT, yes, you never know what you're going to run into-I dropped my bike 3 times on the street over the past 50 years aside from that, twice on gravel sand, and once on "road snot" during a drizzle (nearly was squished on that one). A good argument for ATGATT!!

Old 01-12-2018, 01:05 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

No, since 1964. Now on #12, 3rd Harley.

Not a great rider, but I love to wear the tire sides as much as the bottom.

My motto is watch out, throttle more than brake, and gear for the safe ride instead for the safe crash.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:41 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,845 Likes on 900 Posts

You know...sometimes the littlest things are what get you hurt the most.

My first MC was actually a Rupp Roadster Minibike. I hit an unseen hump in a hayfield (on a fine May day at the old age of 12) and got launched off the bike. I landed belly-first on the handlebars (mid-air) and the bike did an endo. I passed in and out of consciousness several times in the next half hour. Nobody knew where I was. I managed to ride home. Ended up in an ER after an ambulance trip. Ruptured spleen. Surgeon cut me open from ribs to pelvis and removed the broken parts. 10 days in the hospital. Transfusions. Tubes. Bad dreams. I see that big scar every day of my life and I never forget.

Next up: Honda SL-175 Scrambler. 15 years old and loving it. Was riding hard and more or less racing my cousin on a dirt road. Burned around a curve and couldn't hold the line. Front tire caught some edge-gravel and there she went. Laid it down quick and both of us went right over an embankment into the brush. Few scratches for me and the bike needed some work. My parents were not pleased. Grounded.

Honda CB-750. I'm 18 and cocky. Two lane road has a pullout for slow cars and there's a slow(er) car in front of me. As soon as we hit the pullout area I take the right lane to pass. I'm on it hard and the driver decides it's time to occupy the right lane...just as I get even with his rear bumper. All I remember is the shock of the car coming toward me and how hard both my footpegs drug in the next 4 seconds. I didn't go down but I missed a big steel signpost on the edge of the shoulder by less than 2 feet. Rode away shaking, older and wiser.

The Limited: We crashed without crashing. I've never come closer to dying outright. After a shockingly fast event we ended up off road...in a shallow ditch...behind a guardrail....and upright. No damage to flesh or metal. Psyche....temporarily injured. One little piece of sod wedged at the kickstand was the only proof.

Those were crashes and I learned from every one of them. Dropped bike? For sure. The old saying of 'pride goeth before a fall' must have been written by an old biker. Every time a bike ends up horizontal the first thing most of us do is look around to see who's watching or heard what came from our mouths. Then follows the rush of embarrassment while straining to get back up on 2....where we belong. I figure as long as a 200 pound man is trying to keep half a ton of steel upright and balanced there will be times when the steel wins...man loses. We are only human after all.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:55 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I'm sure there are riders who have ridden for decades and wondered what all the fuss is about. Don't bother youraelf, ride and enjoy. You're more likely to lose your footing while stationary and go down feeling stupid, with no more than your pride dented. Don't even bother about that!
Like you said, it happened to me, very embarrassing.

Quick Reply: Does everyone fall off their bike at least once?