Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best tank coating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What's the best tank coating?

I'm prepping a tank for painting, and need to re-coat the inside.

My original stock tank, 2007 FLHR has a black colored coating that has been deteriorating over the past few years. It's slowly dissolving and leaving the fuel pump strainer black and eventually plugging the filter.

The tank that I'm prepping also same age, CVO.
It has a gray coating that is flying off when hit with compressed air. Looks like gray epoxy primer.

So, I need to recoat, I haven't heard great things about some of the products out there.

Any advice?

Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been using kb coatings. Cycle Tank sealer.it comes with tank stripper,to get the old one out. KBS Cycle Tank Sealer PLUS Kit . 52005-S-NM.$51.95. ..

Old 01-22-2017, 10:33 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida Swamp Yankee
I'm prepping a tank for painting, and need to re-coat the inside.

My original stock tank, 2007 FLHR has a black colored coating that has been deteriorating over the past few years. It's slowly dissolving and leaving the fuel pump strainer black and eventually plugging the filter.

The tank that I'm prepping also same age, CVO.
It has a gray coating that is flying off when hit with compressed air. Looks like gray epoxy primer.

So, I need to recoat, I haven't heard great things about some of the products out there.

Any advice?
I use a product from Caswell. It's very popular with antique bike restoration people. Just follow the directions for prep and you should have no problems.

http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-...k-sealer.html#

I used it on an antique BSA fiberglass tank some years ago. The new ethanol formulations attack fiberglass. I've had no issues since coating the tank.

I have seen a lot of problems with a common sealer named K???M. Has a tendency to flake and come loose. I don't know if they have improved it in recent years, but I would avoid it.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 PM
madwrencher
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Red kote tank sealer. Have used it for years.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
I use a product from Caswell. It's very popular with antique bike restoration people. Just follow the directions for prep and you should have no problems.

I used it on an antique BSA fiberglass tank some years ago. The new ethanol formulations attack fiberglass. I've had no issues since coating the tank.

I have seen a lot of problems with a common sealer named K???M. Has a tendency to flake and come loose. I don't know if they have improved it in recent years, but I would avoid it.
yeah that was the one that I didn't hear anything good about. That makes enough people heard from for me not to use it!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:09 PM
65Tiger
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used several and had trouble with the K??M too

The best stuff I have found is Bill Hersch tank coating and the only one approved for aeroplane tanks. If it is certified for a plane it is fine for my bike!

If possible, I blast the tank insides rather than mucking about with removers

Old 01-23-2017, 06:59 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1

My bike painter's tank guy swears by Caswell. He does a rotisserie process to coat everything evenly. Sent him a new J&P tank and that's what they sealed it with before painting.
Another ebay bought tank that I had on the bike for several years had the coating start coming off. Not good. Local service manager says that Kreem starts breaking down 8-10 years out and believed that's what the tank had been treated with.

Last edited by 2goldens; 01-23-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:21 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

I have several of my antique bikes coated with por15. No issues whatsoever. I'm talking big buck original paint tanks here too.