Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

differences of exhaust packages..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 PM
R.Canales
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default differences of exhaust packages..

With all the posts about slip on exhaust, full exhaust and new members looking for that "perfect" exhaust, is it possible to create a thread that tries to sum up the individual characteristics of slip on exhaust with a factory head pipe and aftermarket pipe. I figured the only way to do that is to "try" and centralize real world applications here. Granted, exhaust note is "subjective" but what should not be subjective is comparisons from members who have had multiple exhaust setups and their opinions of those. The goal of this thread is to try and give members an idea of which direction to go with an expensive upgrade such as exhaust. Lets face it, who wants to spend $700 - $1000 every time we are not happy with our exhaust.

So what this thread is looking for is members to describe their experiences with testing different exhaust and attempt to describe to us those differences each setup had.

ie: 2014 FLHR 103HO stock Head Pipe, Stock AC, Stock tune with 33" fishtails (straight pipe-no baffles) Sound was mid range as far as pitch with no popping or rapping. and decent as far as being loud. It was not ubnoxious in any way. Other riders say they could hear my exhaust when the got close. Enter V&H PD and sound changed dramatically. Exhaust note went down and volume went up. tone of the bike got deeper and louder at idle. when you stab the throttle it sounds somewhat pissed off! and I mean that in a good way. Still no popping or rapping which for me is a good thing. However I detect a bit a flapping or raspiness coming in on the higher RPM's. I have a set of Monster Rounds, CFR's, and SE Night Sticks that I can still test out.

That description is basic and obvious. You're gonna get a louder exhaust by deleting the CAT. But where the benefit of this thread will come into play is when I test the other slipons that I have and compare them to each other. Take my comparison and match that with someone else's description and you might just understand what is trying to be said. This slip on is definately louder than that slip on but probably not as loud as that other one and so forth and so on. That's what I am looking to ask everyone here to do. Give your best description and comparisons that you have encountered. Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future make a educated guess as to which setup they throw $1000 at and be happy with.

Just trying something new here, hopefully it works. Everybody here is always helpful in some aspect. I'm just trying to do the same.
"Pay it forward"

-Rich

Old 02-02-2017, 11:49 PM
thug23
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice idea..... I mixed & matched my exhaust going with CFR dual exhaust and Vance & Hines head pipe.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

The best comparisons can only be made by using the same bike and tuning shop to make the set-up and test runs. In my case I have an Evo with an S&S 107" and initially ran true dual pipes with S&S oval mufflers, which I later changed for a Supermeg 2-into-1. Both were tuned at the same shop by the same chap. Headline numbers were very similar, just over 100/100, as near the same as matters, however low/mid range torque with the Supermeg was significantly better. The surprise was how much smoother the engine runs and how wonderful it is to ride. So there is more to this than just numbers!

Old 02-03-2017, 06:41 PM
R.Canales
Tourer

Originally Posted by thug23
Nice idea..... I mixed & matched my exhaust going with CFR dual exhaust and Vance & Hines head pipe.

And what was the differnence in sound? Per your ears? Pros and cons.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:44 PM
R.Canales
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
The best comparisons can only be made by using the same bike and tuning shop to make the set-up and test runs. In my case I have an Evo with an S&S 107" and initially ran true dual pipes with S&S oval mufflers, which I later changed for a Supermeg 2-into-1. Both were tuned at the same shop by the same chap. Headline numbers were very similar, just over 100/100, as near the same as matters, however low/mid range torque with the Supermeg was significantly better. The surprise was how much smoother the engine runs and how wonderful it is to ride. So there is more to this than just numbers!

Great info there. But what I am after is difference in sound. How did the sound differ between the two setups? Someone else out there may have a similar setup with different pipes and may want intel on the sound quallity or lack there of.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

FWIW, I have an 05 FLHTCI. It had a stock headpipe (no cat), 4 inch Rineharts, Big Sucker and a tuner. It was my first bike in 35 years so I was ok with the performance, and it sounded pretty good, but pretty soon I added an S&S Power Tune 2/1/2 (sort of) and it was a noticeable power increase, and it sounded better. Added cams, and the improved exhaust supported additional fuel and I had it retuned. I just recently finished a 95" build with street ported heads, and now it sounds like a hot rod. All of this was with the same pair of mufflers, so tone is about the same, but the addition of a free flowing header pipe is a significant performance upgrade, and it's one that supports future mods.

The following users liked this post:
R.Canales (02-04-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:17 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

My buddy is a die hard shovel head guy. He finally stepped up and bought a new bike a 2014 FLHX, his previous bike was a 1981. He went with 2-1-2 Fuel Moto SPC head pipe(Steel not stainless) with 3.5" Rinehart mufflers. He is thrilled with the exhaust note.

R.Canales (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 07:36 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Only way to do that would be for the same exact engine setup with different exhaust setups. I've had the same pipes on 2 different bikes with different motors and they sound different.

R.Canales (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 AM
stevehilde
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default de-cat, Jackpot 4", comp vs. original baffles

Originally Posted by R.Canales
. . . what was the differnence in sound? Per your ears? Pros and cons.
Back in December while the temps were still in the mid-40s F, I installed a de-catted headpipe, SE high-flow filter, and Jackpot 4" Dyno-tuned mufflers with competition baffles. Did a canned tune with FuelPak 3. 2016 Limited, 103.

To my ears (which are good, if a little de-sensitized on the high end after 30 years as an Infantryman), this combo was just a bit too loud even though I liked the crackly rumble. When I say loud, I mean painfully so -- it was like I was sitting directly in front of the bass drum at a rock concert. I wear a half helmet so that plays into it as well.

I knew that I'd end any type of long trip with an enormous headache. And I also figured that my lovely companion -- who gave me great encouragement to make my previously stock bike "sound like a Harley" -- wouldn't have enjoyed the ride back where she sits.

Took the comp baffles out and put the original Jackpot ones back in. Still a good sound, but it took the edge off. Will use next month's trip to Daytona as the true test, and adjust from there if necessary.

Hope this helps.

R.Canales (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 05:41 PM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Last year I bought an '06 Ultra basically Stage 1. Installed a V&H fuel Pak and installed a B&E true dual kit. Then I did Andrews TW 21 cams. The slip ons were cheap turn outs and were nasty sounding. Back to B&E and got some Superflow mufflers with 2" baffles and retuned the fuel pak. Deep throaty tone and sounds awesome when you get into the throttle. Thats my story and I am happy

R.Canales (02-04-2017)

Quick Reply: differences of exhaust packages..