Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Stage 1 (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1157363-stage-1-a.html)

mrsnipy 02-05-2017 09:09 AM

Stage 1

With all the federal emission who ha can the dealer still do a stage 1 flash? I had this done on my 01 flht and was quite happy with reliability and performance. I have a 2012 ultra with a SE air cleaner and slip on rush mufflers and don't want to add a tuner.

mazz 02-05-2017 09:36 AM

my understanding is the heat is on changes made to 2017 models at dealer only.
numerous copies of the fine and judgement against Harley by the Fed are posted in this forum. Pick your version of the truth from there.

mkguitar 02-05-2017 10:55 AM

the tier II regulations apply to 2010+ models.

a "flash" is a change of programming- often a one time only and can;t be edited if the results are not there...the programming may not be able to account for the variables of all intakes, all exhaust systems, particularly the changes which occur if the catalytic converter is removed ( a tier II violation)

the various tuners have their capabilities- the result depends on the person determining the settings.

there are also nightrider.com xieds- these plug inline with your O2 sensor ( 5 minutes) and essentially just allow a slightly richer mixture- usually about 8%.

I ran these for over 5 years with good result.

I am now experimenting with a V&H fuelpak LED. I am on my 5th version of settings ( from V&H) and it still isn;t as good-
with each version MPG is down, at times the motor is obviously rich ( smell it) sometimes it doesn;t run as smoothly.
I email them my results and they send me new settings to try.

I'm considering replacing with my xieds.

Mike

dandrumheller 02-05-2017 10:55 AM

I would think so - afaik the stage 1 dealer download has always been EPA compliant (and thus it leaves some performance on the table in order to comply with the regs).

Budda109 02-05-2017 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mrsnipy (Post 15904902)
With all the federal emission who ha can the dealer still do a stage 1 flash? I had this done on my 01 flht and was quite happy with reliability and performance. I have a 2012 ultra with a SE air cleaner and slip on rush mufflers and don't want to add a tuner.

Depends where you live. If say you go to fuel moto's web site. There is a map says if you live in California click here. In Wisconsin you can decat and change what you want on Motorcyles, ATV's and such. If it is legal in your state I see no reason why the service is not offered. You can google your states guidelines if in doubt. Example:

mkguitar 02-05-2017 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Budda109 (Post 15905379)
...In Wisconsin you can decat and change what you want...

tier II regs cover the entire USA- incl. WI.

CA may have stricter regs on top of that allowed by waiver.

Most Federal emissions regs have been introduced 1 model year earlier in CA since 1962 ( PCV valve, AIR injection, tailpipe emissions, EGR, catalytics in cars
etc etc)

Mike

Budda109 02-05-2017 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mkguitar (Post 15905411)
tier II regs cover the entire USA- incl. WI.

CA may have stricter regs on top of that allowed by waiver.

Most Federal emissions regs have been introduced 1 model year earlier in CA since 1962 ( PCV valve, AIR injection, tailpipe emissions, EGR, catalytics in cars
etc etc)

Mike

True. But in Wisconsin motorcycles are not emission tested. So there is no consequences. ;)

dickey 02-05-2017 12:05 PM

Maybe if we're lucky, the Orange One will eliminate the EPA & then our bikes will run great from that day forward!

checkers 02-05-2017 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mkguitar (Post 15905265)
the tier II regulations apply to 2010+ models.

a "flash" is a change of programming- often a one time only and can;t be edited if the results are not there...the programming may not be able to account for the variables of all intakes, all exhaust systems, particularly the changes which occur if the catalytic converter is removed ( a tier II violation)

the various tuners have their capabilities- the result depends on the person determining the settings.

there are also nightrider.com xieds- these plug inline with your O2 sensor ( 5 minutes) and essentially just allow a slightly richer mixture- usually about 8%.

I ran these for over 5 years with good result.

I am now experimenting with a V&H fuelpak. I am on my 5th version of settings ( from V&H) and it still isn;t as good-
with each version MPG is down, at times the motor is obviously rich ( smell it) sometimes it doesn;t run as smoothly.
I email them my results and they send me new settings to try.

I'm considering replacing with my xieds.

Mike

MK, are you using the pod Fuelpak or the Fp3? If the Fuelpak pod unit, why?

checkers 02-05-2017 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Budda109 (Post 15905379)
Depends where you live. If say you go to fuel moto's web site. There is a map says if you live in California click here. In Wisconsin you can decat and change what you want on Motorcyles, ATV's and such. If it is legal in your state I see no reason why the service is not offered. You can google your states guidelines if in doubt. Example:

It would be my logic, if it's a Federal regulation it will cover all states incl California and Wisconsin. If a state has additional regs over the Fed's, you will have to meet those to register in that state.