Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragula II, 2:1's on order - affirmations and install advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:51 AM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dragula II, 2:1's on order - affirmations and install advice?

Hey all -

I have the Dragula II, 2:1 exhaust, with 2.5" baffles on order for my 2014 RK. The bike is stock except for a Dynojet PV which I will re-map for the new exhaust.

I haven't heard anything but positives about this exhaust system. I've had to rely on Youtubes for sound clips however....no one in my area has this exhaust system.

I've corresponded with Dragos who offers to provide a starting map for their exhaust.

Any recommendations on maps for these pipes and bike (103 c.i.)? Dragos? Dynojet? Other?

Also, which exhaust flange/gaskets should I use? I can't recall exactly, but I thought I read that the S.E. gaskets were a better fit/easier install than stock exhaust gaskets? Is that correct? Or perhaps some other gasket brand it best?

Also, I read advice about tightening and/or replacing the lower tranny cover bolts for the exhaust hanger bracket. Any recommendations for replacing these bolts to allow for easier maintenance/torqueing down the road?

Lastly, any kit recommendations for floorboard-to-frame spacer kits (v-twingoodies, Kuryakyn?)? I just want to move the floorboards out about 1/2-3/4"...I don't want to move them lower or forward.

Sorry for the varied questions. I just want to do this job once...and then ride! Life is too short IYKWIM...

Thanks all...

Old 04-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

Great pipe, I've had it on 2 different bikes and have no desire to try anything else. Will make all the noise you could ever want when you roll on it hard but mellows out nicely when cruising so your riding buddies won't hate being behind you.

I have a TTS with full tune, so can't speak to the map piece. Shoot Frank an email to confirm, but I'm 99% sure the face of the exhaust is flat so you want the stock gaskets - I believe the SE version is tapered. I stick mine in the freezer overnight, never had a problem replacing as long as you get all of the old gasket out.

Both times I just pulled the 2 tranny bolts and reinstalled bracket and retorqued bolts. Never had a problem after that or need to pull the tranny cover.

The install kit comes with a spacer for the right side floorboard, it only moves them out so no worries about down or forward.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:43 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

the dragula 2 fitment was spot on had no problems installing this exhaust system. no need to change the tranny bolts just re use the stock ones. leave the stock exhaust gaskets in place per ( frank's advise) I was going to uses the screaming eagle or the copper crush type and frank stated the stock ones work the best. so i left the stock ones in the heads and have no exhaust leaks. as far as the map if frank drago has one use it. I used the propipe map in the drop down list in the power vision and used the autotune feature with wide band 02 sensors to finish up tune. this is a very nice exhaust system fit and finish is excellent.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

what both of them said above, stock gaskets, use the same bolts.
Great pipe choice.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:03 PM
heavypic
Tourer

Hey all -

Thanks for your replies/advice.

Target 64 - So you didn't replace the original stock gaskets with new ones when you did the install?? I'm thinking I might want 1 or 2 new pairs of the stock gaskets on-hand just in case it's needed. I've done a couple of full exhaust system replacements on other bikes...both 2:1 systems...and didn't have any leaking or alignment problem.

Every account I've read of riders self-installing the Dragula II's has been a fairly easy experience.

I think I'll install a floorboard spacer (v-twingoodies, Kuryakyn, etc) set when I do the exhaust install. I want to move both floorboards out a bit.

The only other recommendation I've read, is using some sort of copper-based exhaust paste at the muffler-head pipe joint to prevent seizing in case you need to remove the muffler section later (e.g. belt tension adjustments, tire changes, etc.)

Thanks all...enjoy the riding season!
Regards

Old 04-09-2017, 01:39 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

if you got your power vision from fuel Moto, they will give you a new map.

if from somewhere else, you may be able to find the map on the dynojet site.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:40 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by heavypic
Hey all -

Thanks for your replies/advice.

Target 64 - So you didn't replace the original stock gaskets with new ones when you did the install?? I'm thinking I might want 1 or 2 new pairs of the stock gaskets on-hand just in case it's needed. I've done a couple of full exhaust system replacements on other bikes...both 2:1 systems...and didn't have any leaking or alignment problem.

Every account I've read of riders self-installing the Dragula II's has been a fairly easy experience.

I think I'll install a floorboard spacer (v-twingoodies, Kuryakyn, etc) set when I do the exhaust install. I want to move both floorboards out a bit.

The only other recommendation I've read, is using some sort of copper-based exhaust paste at the muffler-head pipe joint to prevent seizing in case you need to remove the muffler section later (e.g. belt tension adjustments, tire changes, etc.)

Thanks all...enjoy the riding season!
Regards
I removed my stock exhaust and installed the dragula front head pipes into the heads with the stock gaskets left in the heads on my stock 103. i am installing a 124 in frame very soon and will be using novello copper crush seals # NIL-CER or DS 173226 this time, I have used them on several exhaust systems and which all have the flat sealing surface same as the dragula head pipe. don't want any exhaust material getting into the exhaust port opening. which I have seen happen with the screaming eagle seals. I was not too worried with the stock motor knew it was coming off during the winter. yes I use copper based anti seize on the muffler joints, it sure aids in the muffler removal at a later date.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:43 AM
heavypic
Tourer

Hey Target64,

Thanks for the reply/info. Waiting on the back-ordered exhaust. Looking forward to the riding season...

Enjoy the ride all!

Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,474 Likes on 2,476 Posts

Did you know that "Dragula" was the name of Grandpa Munsters coffin-based hot rod?

Old 04-22-2017, 11:15 PM
1Fordman
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts

You'll be a happy camper with the D II. Put one on the RK a year ago and the sound and quality is amazing. Use the stock Harley exhaust port gaskets. The only thing to do differently is if your kit comes with #28 hose clamps for the heat shields, get #32's. Much easier to get them wrapped around the pipe and started to tighten them.

Last edited by 1Fordman; 04-23-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Dragula II, 2:1's on order - affirmations and install advice?