Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, I can't decide. RK or SG???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Spilot
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and great advice! Good to hear from folks who have spent some time with the HD's. Back in the motocross days I also worked in a bike shop and use to cringe when someone wanted a big bulky fairing mounted on an otherwise beautiful bike. Just never have cared for the looks of them. As I mentioned, do like the heads up speed/tach, etc., but think I can get use to the simple speedo on the tank. Radio and nav might be nice, but can always use my cell phone and bluetooth. Will rent a SG this weekend and see what I think, but still leaning toward the King as most of you have suggested.

For those who haven't ridden an M8, I'd recommend you try one when have a chance. It's pretty sweet!!

SC_Compact - I haven't ridden a Dyna, but you're the second person to suggest that in two days. Sounds like I need to check one out. Thanks

Old 04-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Spilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HD_fan
LOL!

RK SG are both fantastic bikes! I had both and I would pick the SG for the tunes. It does make a difference on long rides imo.
I'll check one out this weekend. Seems like it be pretty tough to hear tunes on the highway?

Old 04-16-2017, 03:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Spilot
Thanks for all the replies and great advice! Good to hear from folks who have spent some time with the HD's. Back in the motocross days I also worked in a bike shop and use to cringe when someone wanted a big bulky fairing mounted on an otherwise beautiful bike. Just never have cared for the looks of them. As I mentioned, do like the heads up speed/tach, etc., but think I can get use to the simple speedo on the tank. Radio and nav might be nice, but can always use my cell phone and bluetooth. Will rent a SG this weekend and see what I think, but still leaning toward the King as most of you have suggested.

For those who haven't ridden an M8, I'd recommend you try one when have a chance. It's pretty sweet!!

SC_Compact - I haven't ridden a Dyna, but you're the second person to suggest that in two days. Sounds like I need to check one out. Thanks
Dyna's are nice bike but they are somewhat limited, rode that style for years. RK gives you more options and cannot beat the comfort on one intown or knocking down a 400 mile day.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:13 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Same background as me..mostly enduro, little motocross..long break, 30 years...went straight to touring bike..no problems with the size...a police EG, great bike, year later rode a 2010 road glide, BOOM...unreal, way more open experience and more stable in crosswind... recently up to a 16 RG ultra...Try SG, RK, and RG...buy what moves ya!! Do you take long rides or just cruise around local?

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 04-16-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Spilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mastergunnera8
Same background as me..mostly enduro, little motocross..long break, 30 years...went straight to touring bike..no problems with the size...a police EG, great bike, year later rode a 2010 road glide, BOOM...unreal, way more open experience and more stable in crosswind... recently up to a 16 RG ultra...Try SG, RK, and RG...buy what moves ya!! Do you take long rides or just cruise around local?
Sounds like a plan. Def going to buy one of these three. Never been a fan of the fairing look, but need to keep an open Mind I guess. As far as rides, will likely do occasional short 2-3 day trips and local cruising for a couple years. Then it's retirement time and plan do do some long rides. Also considering a toy hauler in retirement to go set up camp in some nice places and do some riding! May even pick up a small dirt bike later for back country riding.

Thanks for your service!!

Old 04-16-2017, 05:18 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Buy bofum.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:20 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

You can check showrooms, private party sales, Craigslist's and eBay. Street Glides for sale and many of them. Road Kings seldom. I don't believe this is a "more SG's sold" only. I thinks RK riders like them and keep them. They don't want to update/upgrade. They like what they have.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:58 PM
CapeGlide
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Spilot, I was in the same predicament as you. Rode off-road for years as a kid, decided to get back into riding in my mid 50's. First bike was a Street Glide, loved the radio, faring and did several long trips. Sold it after three years and went with a Ultra Limited. For me, the SG was a great bike but the Limited took it to a different level. It really will depend on what type of riding you'll be doing. As much as I've been tempted to try out a RK, for me, I just think the bat wing has a more classic design. RK in my opinion looks dated.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:22 PM
patriot2500
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had both. Bought my '06 RKC stock and rode it for 4 years with no fairing, just the windshield and my thoughts. Put a Woody's fairing on last year and love the tunes and look. Fairing can come off, but I'll never do it. I personally can't see riding without it ever again. The King is an awesome bike, but I prefer having some music as I ride. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:49 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

If you Like that wind in the face feeling It's the Road King, a bike with a fairing affords
rider & passenger more comfort. If I was in the market for a new Bike, I would look at
the Road King Special, that is just me. Buy the Bike that you want not what we all say is
great, because that is what we ride. Are going to carry a passenger most of the time? ?
You will have to think of their comfort along with yours, and if they are not happy then
no one is happy. Don't ask me how I know, so I now ride solo.

P.S. Welcome to Our Forum, lots of good info here.

John

Quick Reply: Help, I can't decide. RK or SG???