Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide oil pump catastrophic failure

Old 04-17-2017, 07:24 PM
BigMac60
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Roadglide oil pump catastrophic failure

Have a 2007 mostly stock Roadglide (second owner at 19,000 miles) with 27,000 miles that just exploded the oil pump. Oil changes are all documented at Harley service except for last 8,000 miles which is when I bought the bike and did my own service. Engine oil serviced every 3 - 4k miles with synthetic. The outer georotor disintegrated into pieces but also slightly scored the crankshaft so now having problems getting the pump housing and inner georotor off the crankshaft.
Is this fixable or am I looking at an engine rebuild?
Plenty of fine particles in the bottom of the cam chest but nothing on the oil service plug magnet. Oil pressure has always been good but no oil pressure when I cranked the bike for a Saturday ride and lifters started making noise within 15 seconds of running the engine.
Can I just pull off the housing with a gear puller and remove the score marks from the crankshaft?

Long time Honda owner, first Harley bike...

Old 04-17-2017, 07:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts

I would be more concerned with what caused the oil pump to break.....in other words, your crank could have scissored. I would check the crank rounout. If that is the case, you are in line for a rebuild.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (04-04-2024)
Old 04-17-2017, 07:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Or possibly something let go in the cam chest and took out the oil pump. How do the tensioners and bearings looks, perhaps a bearing roller got sucked in?

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (04-04-2024)
Old 04-17-2017, 07:35 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

...something like a tappet, perhaps...

Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 PM
BigMac60
1st Gear

A little scoring on the tensioner pads, normal wear and tear I imagine. Lifters, cam bearings, push rods all look good. Nothing in the bottom of the cam chest but very fine metal flakes... Will check the runout and go from there I guess... unusual for this to happen at 27k milea?

Old 04-17-2017, 07:46 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I would not reuse a damaged cam. If it's damaged and the engine turned over, which it obviously did, then its probably damaged the lifters as well.
I would definitely do as advised and check the crank runout.
My 07 Ultra Classic spun the crank on the PO. It took out the oil pump and cam and I don't remember what all else. It was a bad day for the PO but at least the ESP paid for the rebuild and was the best thing for me. Complete rebuild with a welded and trued crank and the PO sprang for upgraded cams. I got it with about 3k on the rebuild. Engine is strong now with plenty of power and torque to move the wife and I (not small people) quite nicely.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:49 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

[QUOTE=BigMac60;16147536]A little scoring on the tensioner pads, normal wear and tear I imagine. Lifters, cam bearings, push rods all look good. Nothing in the bottom of the cam chest but very fine metal flakes... Will check the runout and go from there I guess... unusual for this to happen at 27k milea?[/QUOTE]

07 were known for spinning the crank. Mine went on the PO with less than 20k on the clock.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:50 PM
BigMac60
1st Gear

Both cams are fine, just some slight scoring on the crankshaft.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:54 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Check the crank. It sounds like that may be the culprit.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:54 PM
BigMac60
1st Gear

So I finally got all my special tools in. Checked the crankshaft and run out was in spec.. barely.. put everything back together with a new oil pump from the dealer and double checked everything. Used the existing push rods, lifters and cams. Fired up the bike and it won't run... tries to start but misfires horribly like a timing issue. Just to make sure I pulled the cam plate back off and checked the timing marks on the cam and crank gears and they line up perfectly with the line between them.
Checked the coil wiring, left side to the front cylinder and right side to the rear. Has new plugs and they look okay.
Checked all the sensor connections on the induction module, all looks good.
Managed to get the engine running once with the fuel line disconnected from the bottom of the tank but ran very rough and then died quickly after the fuel ran out. Reconnected the fuel line, ignition on, fuel pump runs and stops, still no engine start.

Ideas??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roadglide oil pump catastrophic failure