Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V and poor fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:16 AM
stmcmann
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Power Commander V and poor fuel economy

I recently installed a S.E. Stage II 103" Big Bore Kit that comes with S.E. 255 cams. I had the SESPT that I had used on the bike when it was a stock 96" and I had installed a set of cams off a CVO(same as 255's) and a V&H breather. I downloaded a map using the old S.E. software after installing the B.B. kit and ran it for a while, it ran OK but not great, Then I tried upgrading the S.E. software to look for a different map, they couldn't do that(since H.D. had that case with the E.P.A. over those tuners where they had to pay the feds $$$$$$$), and the local H.D. dealer wanted $287.00 to just to flash a download or $400.00+ to DYNO tune it, so instead I decided to purchase a Power Commander V from Fuel Moto which they sent with a map loaded to it for my set up. I installed the Power Commander V and took it for a test run and the difference in performance was huge, but it had several issues needed to be corrected like too much decel pop and bogging down/cutting out at lower RPM's, so I called Fuel Moto, talked to Keith, he sent a few more maps till we got those issues corrected, now it runs great, but the fuel economy has greatly suffered, only getting about 31 MPG when I'm used to somewhere between 35-40 MPG. Sent Fuel Moto an email, waiting for their response, and the Power Commander's website is limited on map choices.

Last edited by stmcmann; 04-18-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Go to a dyno/reputable tuner, drop the coin and get it set up perfectly for your motor. Canned tunes are good and FM is awesome, but without going to a dyno, sniffing and getting the AFR spot on, you will not get the 99% tune.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:35 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

you should have went with the power vision, much more flexible.

fuel Moto is great to work with, they should be able to get you a good tune.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

I have the PCV and upgraded cams. Since you like the performance you have, it will cost fuel as the cams and extra power require that. And maybe, some of this lost fuel economy is in your wrist, as you stated you like your new power. With that said, I have played with my PCV and have fuel economy back to 2 MPG less than with the stock cams/Cat and A/C. I love the performance and like I stated in another current thread, may go with a PV if this module ever goes up. Firebolter said it best. Your bike is one of a kind now. Go get a good tune and tell them what you want. Once there, you can play with leaning out some cells that don't hurt performance and play with timing. Save the maps as you go, as you can always revert back to a map you know you like. I have almost 2 dozen maps now...Don't know why. It has taken me almost two years to get it where I like it....

Isn't that half the fun? Ride and enjoy you new-found performance.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:33 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I previously had a PCV. When I had the PCV the mileage went down a bit with canned maps but it ran great. I requested a fuel economy map from FM and it did improve mileage. I wired a switch where I could switch between both maps with flip of switch and it worked out real well. Once I installed my cams I went with PV. I can't switch maps as fast but PV has far more capablities.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:34 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

did you flash the ecm back to stock b4 adding the pcv? if not was fuelmoto aware of your old map?