Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Road King handlebars

Old 04-29-2017, 05:52 PM
grubsie
Cruiser
Received 93 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Stock Road King handlebars

Have had my '97 RK for approx 2 weeks now. have only been able to go out on some quick trips until today. Got all the todo list chores around the house done during week. Got all the fluids and filter changed and air pressure set in the tires. Today was the day that I was going to ride it all day.

Only got about an hour in before having to stop. I noticed the longer I rode the more pronounced the vibration noise was in the front at certain rpms and also when at a stop. If I moved the wheel side to side it sounded like 2 pieces of metal vibrating against each other.

When I got home, I put the bike on the lift and discovered the front wheel bearings are on their way out. No big deal, just ordered new ones.

The big problem on today's ride is with those damn stock RK bars. At least for me. Even if the wheel bearings were OK, I would have been home an hour into the ride simply because it was exhausting riding with these bars. Arms out wide and hunched over to reach them is not very comfortable for me. Heck, just turning the bars sharply to back into a parking space made me feel like I was almost laying on the tank.

That being said, I have read some posts where some guys are using stock Heritage bars. My understanding is that they have a narrower width and extend back a few inches more than the stock RK bars and all the stock cables and wiring will work which is exactly what I am looking for.

Now just trying to hunt some down. Preferably used. (or new cheap) Don't really know anything about Heritage bars. What years will fit my bike etc.

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

Last edited by grubsie; 04-29-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:17 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

I tried some 10 inch mini apes. Works with stock cables. You can get some cheap ones at J&P.

Or maybe these https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...high-handlebar

Last edited by Tarkus60; 04-29-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:48 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Stock touring bars suck. Try 14"s. Cant go wrong.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:26 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I recommend to people to sit on their bike, put their hands where it feels comfy, and find the bars that fit. It's easier than you think.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:49 PM
grubsie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Veekness
I recommend to people to sit on their bike, put their hands where it feels comfy, and find the bars that fit. It's easier than you think.

Yeah, I agree except you need to have bars in front of you to do that. How do you do that when you have no way to do it unless you purchase a bunch of bars ahead of time.

The following users liked this post:
blap (11-13-2019)
Old 04-29-2017, 11:16 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Like I said...easier than you think...just take some measurements...you might need somebody to help. Been doing it that way a long time. Handlebar fitting is not an exact science but you'll get pretty dern close!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:13 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey grubsie,

I had the same problem when I bought my 2010 King. I tried some mini apes, then some pull backs, but then I put on some Heritage style and that was the winner. There are several manufacturers that make them, but I like the Kromewerks since they are a 1inch bar. I just think the bigger diameter is a better look. Anyway, 6 years later and almost 50,000 miles with them, one of the best mods I've done. They are about an inch or two higher than OEM bars and back maybe 3-4 inches. Perfect for me.

Good luck, Mike

Attached Thumbnails Stock Road King handlebars-kromewerks-bars.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 09:25 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I love the Wild 1's 518's. Only negative on them is the slow maneuvering with them. They are pretty wide for my alligator arms. For the highways, they totally rock!

Old 04-30-2017, 10:31 AM
grubsie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mike5380
Hey grubsie,

I had the same problem when I bought my 2010 King. I tried some mini apes, then some pull backs, but then I put on some Heritage style and that was the winner. There are several manufacturers that make them, but I like the Kromewerks since they are a 1inch bar. I just think the bigger diameter is a better look. Anyway, 6 years later and almost 50,000 miles with them, one of the best mods I've done. They are about an inch or two higher than OEM bars and back maybe 3-4 inches. Perfect for me.

Good luck, Mike
Thanks Mike,

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I am definitely ordering some Heritage bars this week. I agree that bars are the best mod on any bike and the most important. It's the first mod I do whenever I get a new to me ride. Learned that way back at an early age when racing motocross.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:42 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey OP,

The 2014 RK stock bars are much longer/better than earlier models. The grip width is very good too...not too wide...not too narrow. I looked at 2013 RKs and the bars were much too short for me (I was too hunched over), but the 2014 handlebars are a big improvement. You may be able to find them online used for reasonable $$ from someone who changed them out. I've read the '14 RK bars are very similar to Heritage bars...but I've never compared then side-by-side.

I'm 6'0 tall for your reference. I put a LePera Maverick Daddy Long Legs saddle on my '14 which moved me back 2" and down 1" for more leg room. I tilted the '14 stock bars back a bit and there is still plenty of reach for all-day riding comfort. My grips/hands are now at about the level of my shoulder joint...with about a 30-degree bend at the elbows...perfect for me.

Go sit on a stock '14 RK and try it for fit. It may be the best way to decide if these bars are good for you.

Good luck...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock Road King handlebars