Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster owner looking for advice on tour bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:48 AM
SwerdnaHD
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster owner looking for advice on tour bikes

Hey all,

I figured this is a good place to ask. I curecently own an 09 1200c which I've essentially made into a mini bagger.I was originally planning on trading up to or picking up a dyna as a second bike (love every model in that line), but then I was in for a tire change and fresh inspection last week and they let me take the demo bike.

It was a 2017 m8 street glide with a full stage 4 upgrade. Never thought I would like such a big bike, but oh my god. Honestly was worried I wasn't large enough to handle it at 5'10" 200lbs, but it was a breeze. Money is an issue, so I certainly can't afford a new SG. Engine awesomeness aside though, I planned on getting some sort of saddlebags for my next bike anyways because I can't live without them. My old lady rides with me a lot and we've taken a few longer trips on it, but it is a little cramped for 2 riding hours on end, though I could cruise endlessly on it after the sundowner seat was added. So I've decided to go either for a SG or a RK depending on what I can get. I love the looks of both, but I think the lowered rear of the SG suits me better, and I like the radio/gauges even on older models. I also live in western NY, so I'm thinking the batwing will extend my riding season considerably in our **** climate here.

So my questions. Been browsing ebay for deals, found quite a few 07 to 10 SGs used that are selling for 7k or less. I have about 7k to spend if I want to buy outright and just add a second bike. Alternatively, I have found a few for 12-15k at dealerships if I want to trade in the sporty and add the 7k as a down payment (sporty trade in value is roughly 1k better than what I still owe).

I found a pretty nice looking 07 SG one owner bike with lots of owner upgrades for 11.5k. I have never purchased a vehicle or bike from a private seller and I am a bit leary to do so vs the ease of mind I would have purchasing a bike serviced and ready to go from a trusted local dealer.

From what I have been researching, 07 has an older frame style. Obviously ithe has the 96ci vs the 103 that came in 11-12 (I think). Is it worth taking a chance to get a cheaper SG as a second bike? Some of the ones I have found on ebay are from dealers, but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle or if I would be wiser to go with an 07? Not sure how I feel about stepping backward two years on a trade.

Are the differences in 07 and 08 that big of a deal? Should I bite the bullet and go through the trouble of an eBay sale for a newer, cheaper version as a second bike? Is the 96ci engine underpowered or is it pretty serviceable?

I also found an 03 ultra that the previous owner setup like a SG and upgraded the 88ci with a 1550 big bore kit, thoughts on that? That is currently 4k in bidding. 03 too old?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-30-2017, 06:26 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

In my opinion I would go as new as you can. I had to laugh out loud when you said if you were big enough. Im 5-4 I have been riding Street Glides for seven years. Again in my opinion the 103 motor is nicer than the 96 I have never had an 88. I had dyna Evo's before that.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:34 AM
mgmonster
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi there,

Welcome to the touring forum. I just traded an 07 SG. Here are a few things to consider. My bike developed the known stalling problem at about 12000 miles. I tried all of the easy fixes, but could not correct it. I just bought a 17 Ultra Limited. I did not realize how much the bikes had changed in ten years. I think my suggestions would be to buy the newest bike the budget will allow unless you find one modified exactly as you like and you are willing to pay a little more for an older bike. The new touring frame came in 09. The 6 gallon tank came on the 08. I don't know what year ABS and Brembo brakes came, but man are they nice on a bike this size. Good luck with your search.......it will be worth it.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:56 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I would shoot for newer also. Tough to trade "up" and end up with a 10-11 year old touring bike that could have a lot of miles. Now is the time everyone here in WNY is getting out riding. They're hitting the dealers for spring services and trade ins are at their highest point. Keep checking the dealer sites and don't be afraid to travel. Check Erie HD especially. Their turnover is pretty good this time of year.

Buy the bike you can afford. If you can use the $7k as a deposit and take on a $150 month loan, why not look at something much newer in the $15k price range. If you can't, then no there isn't an issue getting an older bike. As long as the maintenance has been done as it should be, the bike will run and ride fine.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:28 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with those that are saying go newer. I have a 2010 RK now with a 96 and love it, but am thinking about trading up to a new Limited, so I've been demo riding a lot recently. But, the bikes just keep getting better each year. If you can go with a new one, then go with the new one. You won't regret it.

Mike

Old 04-30-2017, 08:54 AM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Before going to a touring bike I test road a Street Glide. It was definately more to handle over the Wide Glide I had but had a smooth ride. Then I took a Road Glide for a ride. The difference was amazing. I wound up finding a used 2005 Road Glide and kept the 08 wide glide. The only issue I was having with the 05 RG was the front brake would get spongy.
After a while I thought it was senseless having two bikes so I listed both on craigslist. The Road Glide got the best offer so I sold it but soon regretted it. I then began searching dealers for a later road glide figuring I would trade in the WG. This time I bought an Ultra. The deal was too good at the time. The ABS brakes are tremendous. Over the winter I found a great deal on a Super Glide so now I am back to two bikes. This time I want to trade in the Ultra on a used low mileage Road Glide. I like the way they handle over the batwing fairing. My search criteria is low mileage, ABS brakes, 09 & up frame.

Take your time, take a lot of test rides. There are a lot of bikes out there.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:00 AM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

I would echo the "go as new as possible" advice. Also, I am 5'10", 165lbs and love the Street Glide. No problem handling it at all. Great touring bike!

Old 04-30-2017, 09:06 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

As others have stated, I would stay 09' and newer. If you buy an older bike you will spend less money, however I see you putting more money into it in the long run through maintenance and such. If you have $7k with another $1k in your trade in, that's $8k toward a $12-15k newer Bagger. Your monthly loan could be 150-175 for 4-5 years, and that's quick math, and of course I don't know your financial situation. But, you'll have exactly what you AND your wife will be comfortable on. ****, once your wife takes a ride on that bike, she'll never get on that sporty again!!

Welcome to the forum, ride safe!!

Old 04-30-2017, 09:19 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I love my 08, but I bought it new. If I were in your shoes I'd follow like some others have said and go with an 09 or up. Just so many more options for the newer frame. The 96" is a great engine so don't let that be the biggest determining factor, of course if you can get a good deal on a 103 go for it.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:42 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Take your time and look for a 2012 Road King Classic, and add a tour pak. JMO

John

Quick Reply: Sportster owner looking for advice on tour bikes